Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms is Southern Ontario?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  21:50:21  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just heard a bizarre comment on a podcast that the Forgotten Realms' map is based on southern Ontario (where Ed Greenwood lives).

Is there any basis on this or is it just another urban myth?

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  21:59:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

I just heard a bizarre comment on a podcast that the Forgotten Realms' map is based on southern Ontario (where Ed Greenwood lives).

Considering that we have an entire solar system (with a lot of different terrain types) mapped out for the Realms, I'd call shenanigans on the claim that the setting is based on one small geographical area.

It's certainly possible that some part of the Realms was inspired by southern Ontario, but I'd not expect anything further than that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  22:27:08  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
looking at it , I sorta see it, but only for the land mass.

The sea of fallen stars looks like a tweaked version of the great lakes

and the peninsula of chult has a similar effect as south ontario.

nothing beyond that though.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2016 :  22:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

Haha. I can kind of see that - it wouldn't be just Southern Ontario though, because you need James/Georgian Bay (where Ed lives, not Southern Ontario) to be the Sea of Fallen Stars. Lake Erie as the Lake of Steam, too.

There are some parts of the Realms that do call back to Ontario, though - the Stonelands were originally patterned after the Canadian Shield, and the North just feels to me like a perfect boreal forest in a lot of ways.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2016 :  19:39:08  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the map of Faerun is based on Southern Ontario, where would Toronto be?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2016 :  20:24:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By saying "Forgotten Realms" I assume you mean Faerun.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2016 :  20:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

If the map of Faerun is based on Southern Ontario, where would Toronto be?

My guess would be Luiren. Roughly halfway along the northern shore of the southeastern body of water.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  00:36:59  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nation of Halflings, that seems funny to me.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2016 :  06:14:23  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This holds pertinence to a recent project. Fascinating, very fascinating.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2016 :  13:37:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I once compared a map of Pangea* to the Realms - it was a great fit. The most astounding thing was that Ed's (future) home fell-out in the same spot as where Shadowdale is on the Realms map. Fancy that.

*One must remember that those Pangea maps are conjecture, and all vary a bit... but I did find at least one that was a near-perfect match.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000