Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Rank in the Red Wizard, wizards
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maltor ramus
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  07:52:12  Show Profile Send maltor ramus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know the red wizard are controlled by the Zulkirs but what come after is it like a guild Example Zulkirs is the guild master so rank within will be as a normal guild or if they have separate system ?

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  08:11:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What era are you playing in as the year will likely determine the answer (plus I'm always interested to know just how many people play post spellplague)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  12:21:37  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't the Red Wizards use tattoos to show rank as well?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  14:36:32  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tattoos are a Mulani tradition. The Red Wizards don't use them to show their rank, as far as I know.

Edited by - Bulak on 26 Mar 2016 14:36:55
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  16:44:40  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tattoes are said to represent their school and are expanded as one grows in power. So I believe it is a form of status but not a exact rank. Also the red robe is only allowed for actual Red wizards (members of prestige class), actualy anything red is forbidden in Thay except for Red wizards and clerics of Kossuth.
So if you see a tatooed person in red you should show respect in Thay.

Mulani tradition use paint on top of the head to signify station of person (slave, officer, cleric)

Zulkir is a formal head of whole wizard specialization in Thay (the most influential wizard of that school) as this is a nation wide guild there will be more politics involved and you should aways listen to your immidiate superior unless his superior say otherwise. So your Red wizard master conjurer might actualy work for zulkir of Illusion until somebody finds out...
Go to Top of Page

maltor ramus
Acolyte

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2016 :  22:06:54  Show Profile Send maltor ramus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
am playing in 3.5 setting and my red wizard is a conjurer 5 & red wizard 10 since we will be starting a high level going epic campaign
and i was wandering what rank a fulling level 10 red wizard prestige class would be since she cannot be a zulkir
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2016 :  09:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As it was already said it also depends heavily on time you play in and also power level that you GM uses in his compaign. Using clasic 3.5 setting you could be a leader of enclave or smaller city in Thay. Realy important figures are above lvl 20, zulkirs around 30. As you have already mastered circle magic (probably very young) you could be seen as a prodigy - admired by younger wizards and feared by older ones. You should have at least 9 apprentices available for spellcasting as you are already able to accept them (scribe tatoo). Depending on your specialization (prohibited schools, feats) you could be a rich mage-builder, planar explorer, army-summoner, trader, artificer, ...
Go to Top of Page

KismetRose
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  21:19:07  Show Profile  Visit KismetRose's Homepage Send KismetRose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I've ever seen, there has been little official breakdown of the ranks, titles, and so forth of various Red Wizards within the organization. There are the zulkirs, the leaders of the enclaves, and...well, not a lot of definition in between. But thank you for asking this. It gives me something to work on...

Kismet's Dungeons & Dragons * World of Darkness * Gamer Gathering
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  22:42:15  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the old rules, the tattoos were only employable at certain levels, so one with a certain number of tattoos would be judged as powerful - but that does not mean a high rank.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2016 :  22:47:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at this thread

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17093

It details the published and many non-official ranks that people came up with. That being said, I'll list the official ones below and the two others I've used.

Published
Zulkir - we all know this
Tharchion - regional ruler of Thay. Has Autharchs that report up to him

Autharch, still describes an individual fairly high up in the chain-of-command or civil administration. An Autharch is the Lord Mayor of a decent-sized city, the Lord Commander of the garrison of a metropolis or the Master of a powerful guild. Granted, the actual power and authority of individual autharchs varies enormously, given Thay's byzantine politics. All the same, an Autharch is clearly of sufficient rank so that he has plenty of subordinates.

Khazark - head of a remote Thayan Enclave.

Daeron / Daeroness - hereditary nobility title. Note, Daerons and Daeronesses may also have bureaucratic titles as Tharchions / Autharks / Khazarks / Zulkirs, etc...

Non-Canon
Aulkir - masters of certain sub-schools of either wizardry or some entirely different form of casting which has gained enough respect that a kind of "guild" for these casters has formed (ex. an Aulkir of Beguilers, Dread Necromancers, Warmages, OR some similar but different form of magic such as Wu Jen, Shadow Magic, Binders, Warlocks, Psionics, OR some sub-school which supports multiclass individuals like warrior-mages, rogue-mages, mage-priests, etc...)

Bloodcowl - I actually believe that I saw this in use in some canon book long ago, but damned if I remember where (I could be wrong, and maybe it started on the old realms-l mailing list). However, it stuck in my head, and I used it to reference red wizards in training, and I actually allow these lesser wizards to wear a version of red that's more brownish... more like dried blood.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  00:04:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most (if not all) all of those are just titles where plenty of non-Red Wizards have held the position.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  14:27:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Bloodcowl - I actually believe that I saw this in use in some canon book long ago, but damned if I remember where (I could be wrong, and maybe it started on the old realms-l mailing list). However, it stuck in my head, and I used it to reference red wizards in training, and I actually allow these lesser wizards to wear a version of red that's more brownish... more like dried blood.

I'm going from memory, but I think it may have been a reference in Cloak of Shadows. It was a passage about Szass Tam and his interactions with other Red Wizards, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000