Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 4E Archfey - anyone have a list of sorts
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2016 :  13:13:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know of the Prince of Frost that was released in a dragon article, and he is officially a part of the realms with the SCAG. What other Archfey were released? Does anyone know of a list of such (I know there was some Myconid one in the underdark who dealt with rot)?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2016 :  19:15:17  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you looking for the non deity members of the Seelie court? Because the court has a known presence on the realms and its members can be considered archfey.

So you could have sighting of -
Titania & Oberon
their children Damh/Tapann (korred) and Verenestra (nymphs)
the Inner Circle of the Court (Caoimhin [mouthless brownies], Eachthighern [lord of horses; unicorns], Emmantiensien [treants], Nathair Sgiathach [faerie dragons] and Squelaiche [leprechauns])
the Outer Circle (Skerrit [centaurs] & Fionnghuala [swanmays]
- over all of the wilds of Faerun.

These would be opposed by Aurilandur, the Queen of Air and Darkness (who may be Cegilune or Auril, and the twin sister of Titania) who commands great authority in the Unseelie Court, who surprisingly have really few archfey described in print.

Apart from this their is the Verdant Prince from MMIV; King Witchthorn in the Kryptgarden Forest is mentioned in at least one 4e adventure (Corruption in Kryptgarden) and the Class Chronicles articles of Eytan Bernstein.

There are a lot of archfey in the 4e supplement Heroes of the Feywild (a tome I plan to scoop up when I have the chance). I've seen some mentioned in scrolls here over the years, but many I have no clue if they are canon realms material, though the following I would place in my Realms as archfey entities:
Baba Yaga (Rasheman seems like it would be a fitting place for the Dancing Hut)
the Beast Lords; Cat Lord (Nathlekh, the city of Cats), Monkey Lord (shrines along the Golden Way from Teflamm to Kara-Tur), Sebek (Chessenta & Mulhorand), Nobanion (Dragon Coast & Shaar), The White Stag / Sovereign Elk (Neverwinter Wood)
Celestial Eladrin like Gwynharwyf, the Whirling Fury, and Morwel, the Queen of Stars, might be classified as archfey if you like to muddle the waters, and can be seen visiting Selunes domain
Hro'nyewachu (a dark archfey from the Endless Wastes in the Frostfell novel)

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  03:13:44  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cast Raise Death!!

Here is a list of archfey released in 4e edition I have compiled in the Piazza (and that has been updated ever since... there are lots of archfey here and there in 4e products). Notice, those are references from Nentir Vale products. Only a few are actually from an FR source (BRJ's excellent Sarifal article). Yeah, even the reference of the Queen of Air and Darkness is from a Nentir Vale book. But, as Heroes of the Feywild states that there is only one Feywild in the multiverse, those archfey are at least loosely related to the Realms.

*BTW, the origins of the Prince of Frost are related to the Raven Queen (she is directly responsible for the transformation of the Prince of Summer into the Prince of Frost). Another canon connection, it seems.

The Court of Stars: Periodically, representatives of the factions assemble in a grand conclave hosted by the Summer Queen. This collective is known as the Court of the Stars. The following are the known factions.

Green Court
    Fathaghn: The dryad queen. (MoP p. 45)
    Hyrsam: The satyr prince. (MoP p. 36)
    Mother Tree: First of the Green Fey; most sacred tree of the dryads. (MoP p. 45)
    Rheusendrous: Bramble Queen’s body guard. (DU185)
    Green Lord Oran: Leader of the Green Fey and consort of Tiandra. (MoP p. 36-7) He is called Oberon in other editions.
    Relkath: Of the Infinite Branches (DR376, p.61)
    Selephra: The Bramble Queen, daughter of Oran. (DU185)
    The Green Man: The archfey that lives in Porpherio's Island. (Encounters Adventure Beyond the Crystal Cave)
    Verenestra: The Oak Princess (DR376, p.61)

Gloaming Court
    Maiden of the Moon: Leader of the Gloaming Fey. (MoP p. 36-38)
    Prince of Hearts: Archfey of Love and Passion. (MoP p. 38)
    Witch of Fates: Archfey oracle and seer. (MoP p. 39)
    Cerunnos, the Horned Lord: The Master of the Wild Hunt, formerly a member of the Green Court (DR428)
    There is more info about the Gloaming Court in the article "Power Play" in Dragon 382.

Court of Coral, the Sea Lords
    Elias Alastai: The Sea Lord, brother of Siobhan. (MoP p. 38)
    Scamander: The spirit of the River Scamander. (MoP p. 36)
    Siobhan Alastai: The Sea Lady, sister of Elias. (MoP p. 38)

Summer Court
    Eachthighern: The Unicorn Lord (DR406)
    Liria: Of the House of Flowers; she is the daughter of the Rose King, and therefore potentially a descendant of Corellon (DR386)
    Lurue: The Unicorn Queen (DR376, p.61)
    Tiandra: The Summer Queen (MoP p. 36-37) She is called Titania in other editions.
    Sarula Iliene: The Nixie Queen (DR376, p.61)
    Sarpenon: The Lily Marquis. (DR385)

Winter Court
    Aurilandür: The Frost Sprite Queen (DR376, p.61)
    Koliada: The Winter Witch, who perhaps is an aspect of the Prince of Frost. (DU161)
    Mournwind: Sister of Lament and exarch of the Prince of Frost (DR374)
    The Prince of Frost: Once a member of the Summer Court, until his intended's infidelity turned his heart cold and bitter. He is the son of Tiandra. (DR374)
    Rodielle: of the Winter Fey. (MM3, p.14)
    Soulsorrow: Sister of Lament and exarch of the Prince of Frost (DR374)

The Unseelie: They aren't part of the Court of the Stars.
    The Queen of Air and Darkness: Ruler of wicked fey. (AV2, p.36) The goddess Auril is revered as the Queen of Air and Darkness by some fey creatures of Toril. (DR367, p.60)
    The Queen of the Nightmare Fairies: An Unseelie fey who rules over nightmares. (HotF p. 143)
    The Whisperer in the Shade: An Unseelie fey. (DR406)

Fomorians: The evil tyrants of the Feydark and enemies of the Court of the Stars. Their lords are:
    King Bronnor: Fomorian king; ruler of Harrowhame. (MoP p. 43)
    Cachlain: Fomorian King. (DU166)
    Queen Connomae: Fomorian Queen; ruler of Vor Thomil. (MoP p. 48)
    Morgkash: A fomorian king who lived during the time of the eladrin-fomorian wars (AV2, The Mirror of Nessecar)
    Musagzi: Fomorian King; ruler of an unnamed city in the Feydark. (DU157)
    First Lord Thrumbolg: Fomorian king; ruler of Mag Tureah. (MoP p. 44)

The following are archfey with no known affiliation, though some are members of the Court of the Stars.
    Aurusel: A fey lord who once oversaw a vast domain in the Feywild that it seemed to his eyes like a colossal garden. (DU207)
    Baba Yaga: Greatest of witches; dwells in the Murkendraw. (DU196)
    Caelynnvala: An immortal and legendary noble eladrin, she hopes to end the ages-long conflict between drow, eladrin, and elf. (AV2, p.132)
    Cat Lord: Archfey beastlord. (MoP p. 36)
    Carrion King: King of all Myconids. (DR420)
    Cegilune: An exiled archfey with tendrils in the Abyss. (Demon, p. 60)
    Eochaid: An enigmatic being of arcane energy, born from the Feywild and bound in ageless flesh. (DR381)
    Fly the Innkeeper: Archfey innkeeper of Jaggerbad Skyhouse. (DU198)
    The Gnome: "Ruler" of the Feywild realm known as Fool's Grove (Fool's Grove adventure) He is the Gnome of 4e videos.
    Great Gark, Lord of All the Goblins: The king of the goblins; rules Nachtur. (MoP p. 46)
    Jalfarian Khaldros, The Sovereign Elk: Archfey beastlord; dwells in Elkweald. (DU190)
    Kannoth, the Vampire Lord: Eladrin Archfey who dwells beneath Cendriane. (MoP p. 42)
    Karl Stoneshine: Leader of the Gnome Council. (MoP p. 40)
    The King of Dreams: An archfey who rules over good dreams. He is no taller than a child's hand. (AV2, p.70)
    King Sunfire: Lord of the pixies. (DU211)
    Lady of the White Well: Daughter of the goddess Sehanine and an eladrin knight. (DR393)
    Lady Shandria: Eladrin warlord; Ruler of Astrazalian. (MoP p. 41)
    Lord Calenon Thray: Eladrin ranger; ruler of Shinaelestra. (MoP p. 47)
    Monkey King: Archfey beastlord. (MoP p. 36)
    Morgan le Fey: Archfey witch. (DU183)
    Morrisa the Lady of Swords: An ancient archfey who was once revered as a goddess by primitive humans. (AP p. 95)
    Neifion the Lord of Bats: An ancient archfey beastlord who was once revered as a god by primitive humans. (AP p. 95)
    Prince of Thorns: An archfey that have his demesne in the equivalent of the Feywild of the Lake Nen, in the Nentir Vale. (DMB, p.59)
    Razcoreth, the Whispering Wyrm: Green Dragon; guards the Lake of Dreams. (HotF p. 153)
    Sharaea: Who compacted with the Raven Queen to be thrust into the future with her mortal lover, to avoid marriage with the Prince of Summer (the Prince of Frost). (DR374)
    Silvermaw: A dark treant that rules over the Domain of Dread Timbergorge, once a demesne of the archfey Aurusel. (DU207)
    Sky Shaper: An archfey who can control the course of the moon and sun within his small realm. (DU166)
    Tuxil, the Trinket Lord: A gnome archfey who rules over lost stuff. (DU205)
    Viktor Mazan, Lord of the Werewolves: Lycanthrope; Chieftain of the Brokenstone Vale. (MoP p. 42)
    Zebechial, Lord of Lightning: An archfey who currently rules from a floating demesne in the Feywild; he was forgotten ages ago. Primitive humans once worshiped him as a god. (AP p. 95)
    Summer Ash, Autumn Oak, Winter Fir, and Spring Flower: The first nymphs, spirits of the first trees that grew in the world. (HoF, 22-23)
    An archfey prisoner of the Winterguard prison whose name has been forgotten. (DR405, p.37)

Sidhe Lords: The nobles of the fey, also known as "noble eladrin".
    Arcane Lord N'ehlia: Ruler of Al'Bihel, the City of Stairs. (Fell's Five comics)
    Lord Toveliss E'teall: Ruler of the hidden city of Cyndaria. (Fell's Five comics)
    The King of Blooms: Father of Empress Amphaesia, the first empress of Nerath. (Dr393, p.13, 14)

Dead Archfey
    Felsa, the Slumbering Queen: A powerful archfey queen who sought to conquer the Feywild many centuries ago. She was defeated by other archfey and now waits in slumber until her return. (DU217, p18)
    Malorunth the Eternal Ash: A archfey treant that once presided over the Nentir Forest. Malorunth's passing ignited the War of Endless Branches, that destroyed most of the forest. After that war, the region became known as the Nentir Vale. (Monster Vault - Threats to the Nentir Vale, "Treants of the Nentir Vale")
    Psylofyr, the Spore Lord: Presumed creator of the myconids. No one knows if he is dead or alive. He is potentially an aspect of the Carrion King. (DR420; Underdark, p. 109)
    Rose King: Reputedly Corellon's scion, who led an eladrin city on a doomed crusade against the drow. (DR386, p.66)

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Oct 2017 15:34:59
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  06:19:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In another thread I hypothesized Ulutiu was the Prince of frost, and he was trapped on Toril for many years, hence Auril usurping a lot of his power.

As for Auril and Cegliune being the Queen of Air & Darkness - you know what might work out better for us FR fans? If Cegliune was the original QoA&D - the one who was corrupted by the Black Diamond (and that makes so much sense), and then at some point when she became the 'Hag Queen' she decided to pass her other crown on to someone else - Auril. Perhaps Auril was her protégé, or maybe her daughter, or some such. Or maybe Auril just stole it away from her somehow (the idea of Cegliune wanting Baba Yaga to take her place, and then something going wrong has a nice ring to it). Baba Yaga, BTW, was listed as an 'archfey' in 4e, so it kinda all makes sense.

EDIT:
The Monkey King as an archfey? Now that's interesting. Thanks for posting the list, Zeromaru.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2017 06:23:38
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  09:21:55  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to wonder if that was a mistake....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  09:39:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, 4e was a mistake.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  15:22:51  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't remembered that they said Auril was revered the QoA&D in 4e. Thanks!

I've updated the list with the Trinket Lord (another gnome archfey), Morgkash (another fomorian king) and I have clarified that Liria is perhaps a descendant of Corellon (dunno why I did miss this).

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I have to wonder if that was a mistake....

Can you elaborate?

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Monkey King as an archfey? Now that's interesting.

Have I to interpret this as that he has more lore in other source, right?

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 18 Oct 2017 15:36:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  21:25:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, one can assume that 'The Monkey King' is the same God as 'Monkey' in Kara-Tur sources, because both are based on Sun Wukong from Asian myth. I always thought that monkey wasn't quite 'a god'; that he was something more. I can see him as a very unique Archfey.

And Powerful kami as Archfey makes perfect sense, if thats what you were talking about sfdragon. Kami = 'spirit'. 'Spiritfolk' (in FR) are considered half-fey. THUS, Kami = spirit = Fey (which is the main reason why I went with 'the Fey were originally beings of pure energy who can take physical form'). 99.9% of all current 'fey' are stuck in their forms, mostly because of the series of events I discussed elsewhere (Dawn War > Godswar > War of Light & Darkness), and also, because 'fey Power' was directly linked to their original hmeland - Ladinion - which was destroyed. In my homebrew, Danu (Uber-Archfey, almost like one of the greatest primordials in shear power) sacrificed herself to create Faerie within the Feywild: To give the Fey a 'new homeland' they could have a connection to. There, more powerful Fey can still change form, and the most powerful (archfey) may even still be able to take their original energy form (like a giant Will-O-Wisp).

And once again, taking from stuff I discussed elsewhere Fey = Eladrin, and Archfey = LeShay (so, like Arch-Eladrin... the ones with wings, like old-school Eladrin). The wings are usually 'at will', BTW. This is why we sometimes see archfey with them, sometimes without. Avariel happen to be a group of Elves that just inherited this ancient fey trait (as the Lythari inherited 'shifting'). I haven't read through Heroes of the Feywild, so i don't know how close to my version of Faerie they get, but in my homebrew stuff, ALL fey have at least one animal form. However, ones in the prime material cannot access it without 'fey power', so they either have to be IN the Feywild, or in close proximity to a fey-crossing. This is why you'll find most prime material fey settle near one; sometimes it even sits in the middle of their settlement. This si so they can access the power, and also have an escape route if threatened. Only an insane adversary would chase fey into the feywild (where they have access to nearly unlimited number of allies).

I need to do something with the stuff I read awhile back in a 3rd party source that I really liked, but since that was 3e/D20, I'd have to convert it. They had it where Fey magic trumps Arcane magic (they can easily counter-spell a Wizard's magic), but Clerical magic trumps fey magic (which is why they fear priests in folklore). Something like: While counter-spelling (is there still such a mechanic? It never worked right in 3e anyway), fey get to treat Arcane magic spells as two levels lower for the purposes of the counter-spell slot, but priests (any divine casters) get to count fey spells as two levels lower for the purposes of counter-spelling. I really need to re-read the cleric class in 4e - i may be able to reinterpret this into 'turnings', which I recall 3e was well on its way to getting rid of and turning it into a divine spell-point like system (and I liked that - I think 'spell points' would work fine for divine magic - it is all about devoutness, not how much you study, or how much Exp. you have).

I also have to see if I can use my old homebrew (Arcane) spell system in some fashion in 5e.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  22:27:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would add Umberlee, "The Bitch Queen". She'd make a fine Unseelie fey (mostly because I think the Yuir Totems were all Archfey, and I think she was one).

I'd also add Obad-Hai, from Greyhawk, and merge him with Obadai, the progenitor of Stone Giants in FR (just different aspects), and then say Silvanus is a human-aspected version of him. You can use either name for him - Obad-Hai or Silvanus, but I prefer Obad-Hai because Silvanus is too Latin-sounding (Romanesque).

I might also toy with the idea that Ilsidahur (ruler of Bar-Lgura Demons) is a 'fallen' archfey beastlord (of Yetis, Sasquatch, Alaghi, etc.), and perhaps ancient foe of the monkey king.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Oct 2017 22:29:11
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  13:11:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I cast Raise Death!!

Here is a list of archfey released in 4e edition I have compiled in the Piazza (and that has been updated ever since... there are lots of archfey here and there in 4e products). Notice, those are references from Nentir Vale products. Only a few are actually from an FR source (BRJ's excellent Sarifal article). Yeah, even the reference of the Queen of Air and Darkness is from a Nentir Vale book. But, as Heroes of the Feywild states that there is only one Feywild in the multiverse, those archfey are at least loosely related to the Realms.

*BTW, the origins of the Prince of Frost are related to the Raven Queen (she is directly responsible for the transformation of the Prince of Summer into the Prince of Frost). Another canon connection, it seems.

The Court of Stars: Periodically, representatives of the factions assemble in a grand conclave hosted by the Summer Queen. This collective is known as the Court of the Stars. The following are the known factions.

Green Court
    Fathaghn: The dryad queen. (MoP p. 45)
    Hyrsam: The satyr prince. (MoP p. 36)
    Mother Tree: First of the Green Fey; most sacred tree of the dryads. (MoP p. 45)
    Rheusendrous: Bramble Queen’s body guard. (DU185)
    Green Lord Oran: Leader of the Green Fey and consort of Tiandra. (MoP p. 36-7) He is called Oberon in other editions.
    Relkath: Of the Infinite Branches (DR376, p.61)
    Selephra: The Bramble Queen, daughter of Oran. (DU185)
    The Green Man: The archfey that lives in Porpherio's Island. (Encounters Adventure Beyond the Crystal Cave)
    Verenestra: The Oak Princess (DR376, p.61)

Gloaming Court
    Maiden of the Moon: Leader of the Gloaming Fey. (MoP p. 36-38)
    Prince of Hearts: Archfey of Love and Passion. (MoP p. 38)
    Witch of Fates: Archfey oracle and seer. (MoP p. 39)
    Cerunnos, the Horned Lord: The Master of the Wild Hunt, formerly a member of the Green Court (DR428)
    There is more info about the Gloaming Court in the article "Power Play" in Dragon 382.

Court of Coral, the Sea Lords
    Elias Alastai: The Sea Lord, brother of Siobhan. (MoP p. 38)
    Scamander: The spirit of the River Scamander. (MoP p. 36)
    Siobhan Alastai: The Sea Lady, sister of Elias. (MoP p. 38)

Summer Court
    Eachthighern: The Unicorn Lord (DR406)
    Liria: Of the House of Flowers; she is the daughter of the Rose King, and therefore potentially a descendant of Corellon (DR386)
    Lurue: The Unicorn Queen (DR376, p.61)
    Tiandra: The Summer Queen (MoP p. 36-37) She is called Titania in other editions.
    Sarula Iliene: The Nixie Queen (DR376, p.61)
    Sarpenon: The Lily Marquis. (DR385)

Winter Court
    Aurilandür: The Frost Sprite Queen (DR376, p.61)
    Koliada: The Winter Witch, who perhaps is an aspect of the Prince of Frost. (DU161)
    Mournwind: Sister of Lament and exarch of the Prince of Frost (DR374)
    The Prince of Frost: Once a member of the Summer Court, until his intended's infidelity turned his heart cold and bitter. He is the son of Tiandra. (DR374)
    Rodielle: of the Winter Fey. (MM3, p.14)
    Soulsorrow: Sister of Lament and exarch of the Prince of Frost (DR374)

The Unseelie: They aren't part of the Court of the Stars.
    The Queen of Air and Darkness: Ruler of wicked fey. (AV2, p.36) The goddess Auril is revered as the Queen of Air and Darkness by some fey creatures of Toril. (DR367, p.60)
    The Queen of the Nightmare Fairies: An Unseelie fey who rules over nightmares. (HotF p. 143)
    The Whisperer in the Shade: An Unseelie fey. (DR406)

Fomorians: The evil tyrants of the Feydark and enemies of the Court of the Stars. Their lords are:
    King Bronnor: Fomorian king; ruler of Harrowhame. (MoP p. 43)
    Cachlain: Fomorian King. (DU166)
    Queen Connomae: Fomorian Queen; ruler of Vor Thomil. (MoP p. 48)
    Morgkash: A fomorian king who lived during the time of the eladrin-fomorian wars (AV2, The Mirror of Nessecar)
    Musagzi: Fomorian King; ruler of an unnamed city in the Feydark. (DU157)
    First Lord Thrumbolg: Fomorian king; ruler of Mag Tureah. (MoP p. 44)

The following are archfey with no known affiliation, though some are members of the Court of the Stars.
    Aurusel: A fey lord who once oversaw a vast domain in the Feywild that it seemed to his eyes like a colossal garden. (DU207)
    Baba Yaga: Greatest of witches; dwells in the Murkendraw. (DU196)
    Caelynnvala: An immortal and legendary noble eladrin, she hopes to end the ages-long conflict between drow, eladrin, and elf. (AV2, p.132)
    Cat Lord: Archfey beastlord. (MoP p. 36)
    Carrion King: King of all Myconids. (DR420)
    Cegilune: An exiled archfey with tendrils in the Abyss. (Demon, p. 60)
    Eochaid: An enigmatic being of arcane energy, born from the Feywild and bound in ageless flesh. (DR381)
    Fly the Innkeeper: Archfey innkeeper of Jaggerbad Skyhouse. (DU198)
    The Gnome: "Ruler" of the Feywild realm known as Fool's Grove (Fool's Grove adventure) He is the Gnome of 4e videos.
    Great Gark, Lord of All the Goblins: The king of the goblins; rules Nachtur. (MoP p. 46)
    Jalfarian Khaldros, The Sovereign Elk: Archfey beastlord; dwells in Elkweald. (DU190)
    Kannoth, the Vampire Lord: Eladrin Archfey who dwells beneath Cendriane. (MoP p. 42)
    Karl Stoneshine: Leader of the Gnome Council. (MoP p. 40)
    The King of Dreams: An archfey who rules over good dreams. He is no taller than a child's hand. (AV2, p.70)
    King Sunfire: Lord of the pixies. (DU211)
    Lady of the White Well: Daughter of the goddess Sehanine and an eladrin knight. (DR393)
    Lady Shandria: Eladrin warlord; Ruler of Astrazalian. (MoP p. 41)
    Lord Calenon Thray: Eladrin ranger; ruler of Shinaelestra. (MoP p. 47)
    Monkey King: Archfey beastlord. (MoP p. 36)
    Morgan le Fey: Archfey witch. (DU183)
    Morrisa the Lady of Swords: An ancient archfey who was once revered as a goddess by primitive humans. (AP p. 95)
    Neifion the Lord of Bats: An ancient archfey beastlord who was once revered as a god by primitive humans. (AP p. 95)
    Prince of Thorns: An archfey that have his demesne in the equivalent of the Feywild of the Lake Nen, in the Nentir Vale. (DMB, p.59)
    Razcoreth, the Whispering Wyrm: Green Dragon; guards the Lake of Dreams. (HotF p. 153)
    Sharaea: Who compacted with the Raven Queen to be thrust into the future with her mortal lover, to avoid marriage with the Prince of Summer (the Prince of Frost). (DR374)
    Silvermaw: A dark treant that rules over the Domain of Dread Timbergorge, once a demesne of the archfey Aurusel. (DU207)
    Sky Shaper: An archfey who can control the course of the moon and sun within his small realm. (DU166)
    Tuxil, the Trinket Lord: A gnome archfey who rules over lost stuff. (DU205)
    Viktor Mazan, Lord of the Werewolves: Lycanthrope; Chieftain of the Brokenstone Vale. (MoP p. 42)
    Zebechial, Lord of Lightning: An archfey who currently rules from a floating demesne in the Feywild; he was forgotten ages ago. Primitive humans once worshiped him as a god. (AP p. 95)
    Summer Ash, Autumn Oak, Winter Fir, and Spring Flower: The first nymphs, spirits of the first trees that grew in the world. (HoF, 22-23)
    An archfey prisoner of the Winterguard prison whose name has been forgotten. (DR405, p.37)

Sidhe Lords: The nobles of the fey, also known as "noble eladrin".
    Arcane Lord N'ehlia: Ruler of Al'Bihel, the City of Stairs. (Fell's Five comics)
    Lord Toveliss E'teall: Ruler of the hidden city of Cyndaria. (Fell's Five comics)
    The King of Blooms: Father of Empress Amphaesia, the first empress of Nerath. (Dr393, p.13, 14)

Dead Archfey
    Felsa, the Slumbering Queen: A powerful archfey queen who sought to conquer the Feywild many centuries ago. She was defeated by other archfey and now waits in slumber until her return. (DU217, p18)
    Malorunth the Eternal Ash: A archfey treant that once presided over the Nentir Forest. Malorunth's passing ignited the War of Endless Branches, that destroyed most of the forest. After that war, the region became known as the Nentir Vale. (Monster Vault - Threats to the Nentir Vale, "Treants of the Nentir Vale")
    Psylofyr, the Spore Lord: Presumed creator of the myconids. No one knows if he is dead or alive. He is potentially an aspect of the Carrion King. (DR420; Underdark, p. 109)
    Rose King: Reputedly Corellon's scion, who led an eladrin city on a doomed crusade against the drow. (DR386, p.66)

Just to get some clarity on sources, on the above (correct me on any guesses I'm making)

DR = Dragon Mag Article
DU = Dungeon Mag article
HotF = Heroes of the Feywild
AP = Arcane Power
AV2 = Adventurer's Vault 2
MoP = Manual of the Planes ?
Demon = Demonomicon ?

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 Oct 2017 13:16:51
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  13:29:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In another thread I hypothesized Ulutiu was the Prince of frost, and he was trapped on Toril for many years, hence Auril usurping a lot of his power.

As for Auril and Cegliune being the Queen of Air & Darkness - you know what might work out better for us FR fans? If Cegliune was the original QoA&D - the one who was corrupted by the Black Diamond (and that makes so much sense), and then at some point when she became the 'Hag Queen' she decided to pass her other crown on to someone else - Auril. Perhaps Auril was her protégé, or maybe her daughter, or some such. Or maybe Auril just stole it away from her somehow (the idea of Cegliune wanting Baba Yaga to take her place, and then something going wrong has a nice ring to it). Baba Yaga, BTW, was listed as an 'archfey' in 4e, so it kinda all makes sense.

EDIT:
The Monkey King as an archfey? Now that's interesting. Thanks for posting the list, Zeromaru.

It works out better if the black diamond(s) are in fact the QoA&D. Maybe they infect these other beings and somewhat influence their personalities and then draw their power away (a small siphon). We know that the Queen of Air and Darkness doesn't HAVE a body based on the original lore from Monster Mythology. The imagery is of this empty throne from which a voice comes that provides the Unseelie with direction. If she is instead a "presence" alone but that she can enact her will by siphoning some power from her respective infected beings, maybe the secret of her survival is that no one truly understands WHAT she is or how to kill her. Thus, she may have infected Tiandra's sister, Auril, Loht from the shadow rift, possibly Cegilune, and untold numbers of other powerful Fey.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  14:47:34  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, those are the sources.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  16:32:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I prefer her as a physical queen. Although I at first railed against the current iteration (because it screwed with my homebrew big-time), I am starting to like Auril as the QoA&D -she has that 'White Witch' feel to her from Narnia (which is why I recently dumped Asl... errr... Nobanion into my musings).

Cegliune as the QoA&D would have had a very different feel - she was more about the darkness. Once she graduated (in her mind) to Hag Queen she probably didn't want to be bothered with the cold (and this likely would have occurred when Asmodeus destroyed the former Hag Countess and installed Glasya as the lord of the Sixth). That would also help us explain (somewhat) why we never knew Auril was the QoA&D before - its a fairly recent event, in the cosmic scheme of things. Also, all these people 'changing crowns' fits with them being Archfey.

And that means Cegliune would have been Titania's sister, but I think Titania is 'retired' (she ascended to full goddess, and likely part of the Seldarine now). In fact, I would peg her as an archtype at this point and just say she IS Hanali Celanil (which would help explain why sometimes that goddess is depicted as much more clever and powerful - and agenda-driven - than we've been lead to believe). Which, of course, means she is 1/3 of Corellon's wife, and also means that she is Sune/Aphrodite. Tiandra - the new Queen of the Fey - would be her daughter. If we spin Auril as Cegliune's daughter, than it all works. Add Baba Yaga in as another daughter, and the three of them could have been the very first covey of Hags.

Auril would insist she 'won' her position (her mother's old title) because she was the favorite, or most powerful, but Baba Yaga would tell it differently: She'd say she was offerred it first, and didn't want it. And since Cegliune isn't saying, we'll never really know the whole truth of what happened there (and I would presonally add-in how Baba-Yaga is building up a following on other worlds* - frost witches in fact - which could mean she eventually does plan to usurp her sister).

*In the Nentir Vale Cryonax is behind the Frost Witches, but I would re-spin that so that maybe he is doing so at the behest of Baba Yaga, or perhaps she set all that up - ostensibly 'for him' - with the idea in-mind of eventually showing up and taking over the operation (or the two could be in league with each other as well - she seems to have very little interest in 'cold' herself, so perhaps she's promised that to him, if she becomes a new QoA&D). I was really thinking of the witches in the PF/Golarion setting (Irrisen), which pushes the boundaries of 'D&D canon' somewhat. She'd probably be trying to influence the Durthan in Rashemen (trying to create another Irrisen).

quote:

Yeah, those are the sources.
Which is just one more reason why people need to download your wonderful History of the Nentir Vale - it contains SO MUCH more info than just on that region, especially in regards to 4e canon. Plus, it has a list of all your abbreviations.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2017 16:37:19
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  18:52:03  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm... between all these editions and all the discussion we've had over the years, there is just too much to keep track of.

While reading Corellon's entry on the Wiki, I also read Angharradh's, because I wanted to see who I can make Titania (and Hanali seemed to be the best fit). Aerdrie Faenya is kind of the opposite of what I was going for (having 'air' in her portfolio, when I am looking for someone 'earthy'). But the third 'member' of Angharradh is Sehanine Moonbow, and when I looked her up on the Wiki I realized they had turned her into 'a fey aspect of Selûne'.*

Now THAT is very interesting. At this point I am willing to say that most of the original Seldarine were Estelar (pre-deity Gods), and so was Selûne/Shar (we keep seeing this repetition of two siblings, one dark, one light). I am trying to make a list of who the rest of these would be - ZeromaruX could probably help with this as well. I am thinking 'Earthmother', although I already have Gaeia as the original (but I am rethinking that as well, because I am rethinking my definition of 'life'), so it would probably be Yondalla (or rather, Yondalla is a halfling aspect of that being). I'd want the main god from each demihuman pantheon, I think. If I have an 'Earthmother', I am going to need a 'High Father', so I can use the unnamed dwarven 'high god', as well as Annam and perhaps Odin for that. However, my recent learning of Piranoth (a primordial who created the {Elder} Titans) screws some of that up, since I can't have Annam be that exalted, and at the same time, that 'close' to mortals. Instead, I might now say Annam was an Archordial (the first of the 'Ordials', which mortals mistakenly all call 'primordials'), and then say he created The Stone King (which is 4e canon), and that being is also Piranoth, creator of (Celestial) Titans and Jotuns (Celestial giants). At a later date, after the Dawn War and Godswar, Annam would have created individual aspects for each world, to recreate the giants he so loved.

Reading through the 4e lore finally is a bit creepy for me. Either its a case of 'parallel development' (to the point of absurdity), or certain people were listening to me all those years ago. As much as the 4e 'mythos' is murky, it is NOT random - I see clear patterns emerging. In fact, wherever they left that murkiness (multiple legends for the same stuff) is where they were trying to blend stuff together so it would all work. And the really weird part is, I've come to the same impasses over the years. For example, in the past two days, I've been trying to re-weave my proto-cosmology around the new info I am incorporating, and I realized I would need a god between the giants and Annam, just to fudge stuff and make it all work, and then I come across both Piranoth and The Stone king which are a PERFECT fit. In that case, I can't say they were 'reading my mind', because they came to that conclusion long before I did. I am actually seeing a logical progression of the 4e lore, which I never expected!

I think, perhaps, we were so set on hating 4e for the new rules and what the designers did to our beloved realms, we never saw the 'diamonds in the rough' that lay buried in the new lore. Not only did we get tons of 'fey lore' we've been craving for years, but its all tied together with the creation of the universe and 'the gods' (and by 'the gods', I mean every being of Exarch power or greater). Hell, they even used some of the terminology I've been throwing around, like 'supernals'.

*EDIT:
I had forgotten I wanted to make a point here - Araushnee (Lolth) was Corellon's 'first wife' (it specifically says that in the lore now), and then we have Angharradh. This seems to parallel 'Lilith' and 'Eve'. Anyhow, my point was about Angharradh, a tripartite goddess. This is not only a clear case of 'the holy trinity' (the mystical significance of the number '3'), but it seems to be a juxtaposition to the covey I was speaking of earlier - Cegliune, Auril, and Baba Yaga.

To take this thought exercise a step further, if that is a mother & two daughter combo, perhaps the other is as well? Corellon creates the divine feminine from sea foam - Hanali. Then Hanali has two daughters, one with Erebus and one with some unknown 'god of the heavens' - Sehanine ('The daughter of the night') and Aerdrie Faenya ('the daughter of the sky'). Later, to help take Corellon's mind off Araushnee, they each 'donate' a single avatar to create the Angharradh persona. I would even go so far as to say Auril was also the daughter of the same sky god (since both Auril and Aerdrie Faenya have 'Air' in their portfolios). So in other words, the two groups would mirror each other.

Did we ever get a name for the 'god of humans'? I thought there was a theory about that.

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Oct 2017 22:22:23
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  20:10:22  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Cryonax stuff, the Frost Witches work for him, and try to unleash him again. But Cryonax its not conscious. He is not a driven force. As all sealed primordials, he is sleeping until his seal is destroyed and he can be free again. I guess that the Frost Witches of that world revere him because their own agenda, not because Cryonax had recruited them.

As for the list of gods, sure. But, I'm not that expert in pre-4e lore, though. For what I know, the twins of Light and Darkness are:

-Selûne / Shar
-Corellon / Gruumsh
-Lolth / Sehanine (or Angharradh... I've never understand her, though)
-Bahamut / Tiamat
-Bane (Achra) / Tuern (here is more like, Law / Chaos rather than Light / Darkness)

There is no name for the god of humans, because Asmodeus deliberately erased it from history, so nobody could revive that god. I remember there was a god of humans in 3e though. His name began with Z...

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  22:49:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I thought there was some lore that hinted it could have been a certain god, because similar things happened to the two ("killed by..." - that sort of thing). I know it was speculation, but I can't reacll who that other god was (killed by Zehir?)

I wasn't looking for 'twins of Light & Darkness' LOL, I was looking for a list of Estelar. Or any non-primordials who would have been around at the time of the Dawn War. You know, I could probably build my own list using your notes (there are a few gods there i am unfamilair with, probably from the 4e 'Core' pantheon).

The 'twins' thing I think is something just built into the Eladrin (Fey), from the beginning. Some sort of 'cosmic duality'. After the Dawn and Gods Wars, that was no longer 'a thing' (because reality itself had gotten altered).

Which reminds me, there was something I wanted to post to the Cosmological Theories; I must have gotten side-tracked. It will work here just as well - I think that before Shattering/Sundering of the First World, there were no 'sexes' (no genders! liberals rejoice! LOL). What we had was this cosmic duality which manifested in the 'twins' thing. All beings before then were androgynous (and I believe the lore says this about quite a lot of them). We can even theorize this being true in all the RW mythologies we have - guys like Loki and Zeus 'giving birth'. Then, once True Death enters into the world, everything changes, and the 'duality' manifests in the form of genders. So instead of having two aspects that make a whole, we then had to have one of each gender to create new life. The rules got rewritten. This is why many of the truly ancient Powers still prefer to appear androgynous (Corellon), and also, those same ancient beings (ones that pre-existed Death) can't truly die. You can only damage them so much they are forced into a coma-like state. And if its not 'bound' in some way, it will simply respawn out of the stuff of the universe (much the same way fiends do in the lower planes).

Also, the First World wasn't as structured, and even time wasn't so rigid. Something gets accidentally destroyed ("ooops, I stepped on Phred!"), it would just come back. And all those cosmic beings would be able to change their forms (most still can), and appear however they want, even male or female (NOW that such things exist). It even says so right in the 4e lore - everything was much more malleable. Now when stuff comes back, you get that 'Pet cematary' effect (like how I imagine Ymir became Atropal). Whenever you break the rules of reality, corruption sneaks in. I make this point here, because I think even the categories were are making/assigning stuff to (including all the new stuff 5e came up with) is 'artificial' - those primal beings were all just that, and the only difference, really, between them, was power-level. Primordial, primal spirit, deity, beast lord, etc., are just 'flavors' of the same thing. At least, originally, because anything could have become just like anything else.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  23:32:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But I thought there was some lore that hinted it could have been a certain god, because similar things happened to the two ("killed by..." - that sort of thing). I know it was speculation, but I can't reacll who that other god was (killed by Zehir?)

The lore of the god of humans is highly conflicting. Most sources attribute his death to Asmodeus, one source says it was Zehir (or that Zehir aided Asmodeus in the deed), and other source claims the guy was killed by the primordials instead.

But that is something that 4e loremakers deliberately left in the air, for DMs to do their thing.

quote:

I wasn't looking for 'twins of Light & Darkness' LOL, I was looking for a list of Estelar. Or any non-primordials who would have been around at the time of the Dawn War. You know, I could probably build my own list using your notes (there are a few gods there i am unfamilair with, probably from the 4e 'Core' pantheon).

Ohh, a list of gods pre-Dawn War? I have to re-read my notes, then. But, it would be mostly a list full of dead gods. I will post it in a few hours then.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 19 Oct 2017 23:35:05
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  02:09:03  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zehir was just an alias for Set during the Sundering.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  03:35:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the dead list forgot zendilar the dancer ( did I spell her name right??, no likely didnt)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  05:37:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zandilar may not be quite dead - she was absorbed by Sharess/Baast, so she might be a vestige.

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I have to think more on this connection, because both Asmodeus and Zehir are said to have killed 'the god of humans', and although I don't think they are the same being, some really old GH lore refer to an ancient being known as 'the serpent', who was a teacher/advisor of Vecna. Asmodeus is sometimes considered 'THE Devil', who has an alias as 'the serpent', and Asmodeus is presumably the 'avatar' of Ahriman who IS the Nine Hells (or is at least the bottom layer, according to Guide to Hell). Not saying all or even some of it is true - its all just 'D&D folklore' at this point, but there is something there.

My thoughts here is that GtH had it slightly wrong (but only because mortals would have no way of gaining this knowledge) - Ahriman 'lives' on a vestige - 'The Serpent', and advises certain folks he takes a liking to, like Asmodeus, and Vecna (no accounting for taste). 'Seth' may be another name that vestige went by, until it got absorbed by Set, thus making Set (Zehir) the new 'Old Snake', or 'Serpent'.

Anyhow, at the time the 'human creator god' was destroyed, Asmodeus really didn't have that kind of power, being only a promoted Celestial himself (at that time), but he may have gotten some help (major mojo) from his 'invisible advisor', the serpent. Thus both Asmodeus and The serpent had a hand in that deicide, and since Zehir (set) absorbed The Serpent one can say that Zehir was responsible (retroactively, since he is now conjoined with that ancient power (or, at least, one small aspect of it).

Pharonic 'Set' wasn't really snake-ish, which is why the lore spun it (canonically) that he got that aspect when he absorbed Seth (so, meta-gaming, when he became part of D&D). This makes D&D Set much more like Conan's Set.

In Zorastrianism, we have the twins Angra Mainyu (Ahriman) and Ahura Mazda (Jazirian?) born from 'Time' (Kronos), which places them above 'deities' (the gods we know), and on-par with 3rd (4th?) generation divine Entities like Uranus (the father of the Olympian Pantheon), so there would be no need to connect them to actual, terrestrial dragons at all - they were Elder (primal) Gods, and could have easily created The Great Wheel (what little they were able to restore from the crumbling Lattice of Heaven). Thus, the myth at the beginning of Guide to Hell could have actually happened right after the initial blow of the Dawn War, while everyone else was busy. There was no 'good' or 'evil' in those days, only Order and Chaos, so Ahriman would not have even been considered an 'evil God' until much, much later (just like what happened to him in the RW). Same goes for Tiamat, Gruumsh, etc. - they all fought on the side of the Gods against the primordials, so they were 'heroes' for a brief time.

Heck, even Asmodeus was one of the 'good guys' back then.

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Oct 2017 06:34:53
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  06:37:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

So, this confirms that Dawn War Zehir it was just Set in disguise?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  23:54:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UNLESS one had already subsumed the other by the end ofthe Dawn War... but I doubt it.

He was probably just the earliest to have an alias ('Set' wanting to stay on good terms with certain gods, while 'Zehir' did naughty things).

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Oct 2017 23:54:52
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  00:15:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont recall umberlee being a deity fpr the yuir elves

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  07:52:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's not, in canon.

When Lord Karsus and I were doing the Elven netbook project together, we worked-out the unknown members of the Yuir Totems, and we figured one to be Umberlee (based on some very vague references about an 'ancient, trapped sea-power' near Aglarond), and another to be Auril (who I named Aurilana, which is funny, because they also extended her name in a similar fashion to make her fey). We just figure that 'lost sea god' was whoever she had stolen the portfolios from to begin with. On the other hand, that unnamed power may have been the Yuir Totem (but since we didn't have a name, and the point of the exercise was to name them, we went with Umberlee, and said she was Auril's sister).

Of course, that was before 4e and we found out Auril was the QoA&D. The interesting thing, though, is that we were RIGHT about Auril being a fey power.

EDIT:
I found a bunch of other 'fey Powers' in an old Dragon Magazine article, and a totally different 'Fairy Queen' - Rhiannon. The interesting thing is, they call those four gods 'fey powers' (the entire issue was dedicated to the Fey), and yet, they are said to be lesser-known 'Seldarine'. Right there, in B&W, in 1990!!!

They also have a list of Fey, and they actually list the Gray Elves, who are the equivalent to our gold elves (Eladrin), as Fey! Once again, in 1990. Seems like they had the idea that the Fey and the Elves were the same group all along, but we just weren't paying attention. There is also lore about how the Gray Elves got 'lessened' when they came to the prime Material... which is pretty much the same concept I've been preaching for some time (and 4e/5e lends itself to).

I'm not doing any direct quotes right now, because I want to find another article I recall about 'forgotten elven gods' (the gods of the snow elves was listed therein), and also check to see if there are others - I want to make an expanded list of 'Fey Powers' (archfey and Seldarine).

But I'll give you a teaser - it says Rhiannon created the Korred out of some noisy dwarves (they were peaking at a 'party' she was having). I love old, lost lore like that.

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2017 21:25:54
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  11:35:40  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

She is? Didn't he turn cold because of unrequited love, as you describe yourself in his entry?
Where does it say the Raven Queen was directly responsible?
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  12:53:27  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was unrequited love. But the move was made by the Raven Queen. She was the one who proposed Sharaea to be sent into the future to a time the Prince of Summer would accept to not marry her (yeah, Raven Queen somehow have timey wimey powers). When the Raven Queen did that, the Prince of Summer became bitter and turned into the Prince of Frost. The one who "take the rap" (as we say in my country) were Sharaea's sister, the current exarchs of the Prince of Frost.

You can check for more on the Prince of Frost in Dragon 374.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 21 Oct 2017 12:56:37
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  18:31:21  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Are any reasons for the Raven Queen's interference given? She is not evil AFAIK.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  18:45:52  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pure speculation on my part, but Zandilar, Sharess' yuirwood aspect may have started as a Archfey.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  18:51:16  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix Sorcica

Thanks. Are any reasons for the Raven Queen's interference given? She is not evil AFAIK.

The Dragon article says this:

"So it was that she [Sharaea] and Hayne ventured to Letherna and made a deal with the Raven Queen. In exchange for a favor to the goddess of death in the future, their souls were drawn from their bodies and cast forward in time. One day they shall be reborn. It was Sharaea’s hope that the passage of time would soothe the jealous heart of the Sun Prince.

[...] When he [the Sun Prince] learned how he had been betrayed, how Sharaea was lost to him, his heart turned to ice. So powerful was his bitter sorrow that it spread a chill across the land, transforming his sun-dappled demesne into the Vale of the Long Night. The prince blamed the heroes of the mortal world for turning his beloved against him, and in the darkness of his heart’s winter, his thirst for vengeance grew. His cold heart drew to him the darkest fey and infected others. He sought others of his kind, and eventually he became the greatest among them."

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 21 Oct 2017 18:56:33
Go to Top of Page

Matrix Sorcica
Seeker

Denmark
89 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  21:08:45  Show Profile Send Matrix Sorcica a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  21:38:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kind of how Strahd was created as well - love and hate are two sides of the same coin. (poisoning an emotion changes its nature, but not its strength.)

@Gyor: I believe Zandilar IS considered a semi-deceased archfey at this point (I say 'semi' because she didn't die, she became part of something else... and if you go with my homebrew lore for her and Baast, they were the same all along - two aspects of an archtype).

Whilst trying to make my Obyrith-Fey connections, I came across all sorts of juicy demon/abyss lore. Man, I wish I hadn't of hated on 4e so much - there is a BUNCH of goodies we missed out on the first time around. Pale Night was far more prolific than I had given her credit for (and at least two of her children DO look like 'dark elves'). In fact, I'm going to use the hell out of that - their skin is JET BLACK, long before 'Drow' ever existed!

Homebrew: When Corellon 'cursed' them to go underground, he set-off something in their bloodline - they became closer to their ancient demonic ancestry. The FIRST 'dark Elves' were pure black, and those others - the Ilythiir - were just brown (tan) elves from the south who got adopted by the 'first family of elven darkness'. Corellon never meant for the 'Drow' to happen - it may have been a trap set thousands of years before.
Similar to what happened to tieflings in 4e, come to think of it...

EDIT: ... and the Irda (Ogres) of Krynn (which I've recently folded into my over-cosmology).

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Oct 2017 21:43:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000