Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Graphics - making large maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2017 :  11:52:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Quick question. So, I have several maps I've made in campaign cartographer, but when you convert them to JPEG's in program, they come out looking stupid. So, I planned on taking windows snippingtools and using it to capture map portions. However, I'd like to make a bigger map from several jpegs that I piece together. I know that there's already programs out there for this exact thing (i.e. putting things side by side and then fixing the overlap). Anyone offhand know the names?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2017 :  01:52:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use GIMP. Its got a fairly steep learning-curve, but its very powerful, and can pretty-much do anything Photoshop can do. there are probably simpler ones to use for what you want, though.

I am trying to figure-out what you mean by 'looking stupid' - they change THAT much? I wish I could see what is going on there. Sometimes you are better-off doing screen-captures.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2017 :  12:19:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I use GIMP. Its got a fairly steep learning-curve, but its very powerful, and can pretty-much do anything Photoshop can do. there are probably simpler ones to use for what you want, though.

I am trying to figure-out what you mean by 'looking stupid' - they change THAT much? I wish I could see what is going on there. Sometimes you are better-off doing screen-captures.

Oh, they look HORRID. The icons for cities just don't even look like what you have on screen. I don't know why it does that, but it does (at least the version that I have which is maybe a year or two old). So, yeah, screen captures will be the way for me to go. That being said, I made these maps very big so that I could drop in detail, so like for the Lopango/Northern Katashaka map, I'll probably need to piece together 6 screen captures. I've never used GIMP other than to download it, and yes there was a big learning curve, so I immediately went to something I was more familiar with and simpler. Its amazing how much stuff I end up using simple old windows paint to do. Still, if this accomplishes this one goal for me, I may give it a try or see what google turns up.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kessalin
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  00:20:18  Show Profile Send Kessalin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you tried setting the export settings to a really high value? Something like 10,000 x 8,000 pixels?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  00:50:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kessalin

Have you tried setting the export settings to a really high value? Something like 10,000 x 8,000 pixels?

Huh, no I had not.... thank you!!! I just quadrupled what it was set at (2200 x 1600 to instead 8800 x 6400) and it came out quite nice.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Oct 2017 01:19:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000