Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  19:26:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So maybe it would be better if they didn't make a movie at all. I would be fine with that, obviously. I'm content with what's out there rig by now--well, maybe not content, as I wish there were more novels, but I don't think there needs to be another platform. D&D is a niche and always has been. Making it a big blockbuster movie would ruin that

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  19:58:21  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

So maybe it would be better if they didn't make a movie at all. I would be fine with that, obviously. I'm content with what's out there rig by now--well, maybe not content, as I wish there were more novels, but I don't think there needs to be another platform. D&D is a niche and always has been. Making it a big blockbuster movie would ruin that

So you don't want to make the brand (and thus game) bigger, potentially opening the door for more players/fans and creating the possibility for more prosperity?

But maybe you're right. D&D, as a brand and it's iconic presence, doesn't translate well to other media platforms outside of boardgames and some video games. I mean just look at Neverwinter the MMO. It was pretty boring and I LIKE MMOs and the Realms.

D&D will likely never get out of the "Kids playing in Grandma's basement" image that it so easily conjures for the general public. It's just unfortunate considering how well similar movies have met such great success

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  20:22:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't mind it being bigger, but I think there are other ways of doing that. I don't think it needs a movie. Movie goers aren't necessarily going to start playing D&D, because that would be "nerdy". They're movie goers, not gamers. That is the case with a lot of fantasy movies. They see it for the special effects.

What I think should happen is they get back to printing more novels. As a bookworm, that's what attracted me. I wasn't a gamer, but I love the fantasy genre. D&D likely has and always will attract readers and gamers. It's not going to appeal to people who aren't into that kind of thing. Movie lover's who don't also love gaming or reading are going to see the movie and be done with it. There might be a percentage who are like "huh, that was really good. I want to know more." But I honestly don't think it would attract a whole new generation of gamers. Heck, I think 4e was better at doing that, and I didn't like 4e.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  20:38:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what I found out:

New D&D Movie

D&D movie in the works

D&D movie of your dreams is rolling

So Warner Bros is going to be funding the movie, which they've said will receive a nice sized Summer Blockbuster budget. David Leslie Johnson (“The Conjuring 2, Orphan, Wrath of the Titans”) haw written the screenplay and Roy Lee (“The Lego Movie”), among others, is producing.

And one of the articles already mentioned Drizzt, lol. In the comments it appears as the same discussion is happening here: Whether or not to make it about Drizzt or an original group.

So setting Drizzt aside AND any other well-known character, speculations on where, who, and when in the Realms:

Where: Baldur's Gate. This city is just as well, or better, known than Waterdeep and the setting for one of the most popular CRPGs of the 90's. Even people who weren't D&D or Realms fans have at least heard of it. AND it was an introduction for many into the genre. Additionally you can branch off from that area and do sea-faring parts in the Sea of Swords, visit areas like The Frendly Arms Inn, and go either north to Waterdeep/Neverwinter/Icewind Dale or East towards the Silver Marches.

When: With the amount of effort by WotC and the FR team to "fix" the post-Spellplague Realms I cannot imagine that they would do any other time frame than the current era of 1480/1490 DR.

Who: Well if it's an original group, I'd say something similar to you're 4-corner stone party - Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric. Most likely the main hero will be a Fighter or Wizard but I could be wrong and they go with the Rogue. The cleric honestly never gets the spotlight they really deserve. Races will vary and we might see a stronger mix-mash of Elf, Dwarf, Human, and Halfling. Maybe they throw in a Barbarian or even a Paladin into the mix but I doubt they'll be fully apart of the adventure. My guess it's like this:

Chondathan Human Male Fighter, new to the hero trade he embarks on the quest to save a town or friend against an unimaginable foe...

Shield Dwarven male cleric, favored of Moradin he too is looking to help the fighter in his quest because said unimaginable foe is a threat to civilization and also has a very rare item that the cleric wants for his temple.

Moon Elven Wizard (male or female): Asked to look after the intrepid hero, they initially hold resentment towards their charge thinking the whole ordeal beneath them and would rather get a group of elves to do it. Also has reservations about the Dwarf too, for cultural reasons. Soon they come to enjoy the fighters company and eventually form a strong bond (perhaps romantically) with the main character.

Strongwise Halfling Rogue (male or female): Found en-route to fight their foe, they pull the rogue out of some trap or ordeal and save his/her life. In exchange they decided to help the party, up to a certain point. When that point is reached, they'll either betray the group or find the courage to carry on. They might also have a romantic relationship with the main here, depending on the Wizard character.

In this movie you can be sure it'll use terms Realms fans will giggle at and happily clap about because Zhentarim or Zass Tam or some other name-drop will occur. We'll see sights on what the developers will believe are the settings locales (probably to the spurn of Realms fans for ultimately getting some minor detail wrong), and they're will be a Dragon(s) and most likely a dungeon (because that's the name of the movie, duh).

The bad guy will also probably be some evil wizard or spellcaster because martial warriors BBEGs aren't a thing in trope-fantasy movies. They'll have monsters like Beholders and maybe something fantastic like a Displacer Beast or some random Owlbear the Heroes barely fend off. And you might have one hero die, but I doubt that will be the case. The movie will end, most likely, happily ever after OR create room for a spin-off or sequel.

Edited by - Diffan on 16 Feb 2016 20:40:30
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  20:47:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess if it is already in the works, I guess it it too late for FR fans to voice their opinion on what kind of movie it should be, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  16:27:33  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They hired the guy from the Titans movies for this.

They either think these are the kind if movies they want the D&D movie to be like or they care so little about this Franchise that they just picked the next free director that had 'fantasy' listed somewhere in his body of work.

Neither explanation is a reason to hope that the 4th D&D movie will be better than the last three. More expensive, but not better
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  16:59:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

They hired the guy from the Titans movies for this.

They either think these are the kind if movies they want the D&D movie to be like or they care so little about this Franchise that they just picked the next free director that had 'fantasy' listed somewhere in his body of work.

Neither explanation is a reason to hope that the 4th D&D movie will be better than the last three. More expensive, but not better

I haven't watched the Titan movie yet, was it any good?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  21:32:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I haven't watched the Titan movie yet, was it any good?

Clash of the Titans was so-so, IMO. Wrath of the Titans.....a bit less than the 1st one. I felt it had a tacked-on feeling.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  22:27:30  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What they need to do is
A) Secure solid actors
B) Make it visually amazing (huge budget)
C) Avoid the "game" side because it only hampers story
D) Have a storyline that avoids tropes and cliches
E) Isn't based on any FR novel because sorry for saying so they just aren't very good (the best I read is still almost unbearable)
F) Not be like the previous D&D "movies"
G) Find and use key elements to set it apart from other fantasy worlds
H) Be serious yet fun/entertaining with no nods and winks
I) Have well developed, likable, interesting characters and relationships
J) A simple but effective plot against a deep background
K) Have realistic-looking costumes, props and sets

Yeah it's not going to happen.
But a man can dream.

Question: If you were going to adapt a D&D module, Realms or not, which one would you pick?

And apologies for my rudeness. I love the Realms but just not the novels.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2016 :  23:21:53  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Question: If you were going to adapt a D&D module, Realms or not, which one would you pick?

Something based on Van Richten in Ravenloft would be great.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2016 :  02:03:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there are many great FR novels out there, and there are those that aren't so great.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2016 :  02:16:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not all that familiar with pre-WotC D&D and that's, unfortunately, where the bulk of D&D's modules are placed. That being said I've always enjoyed the Tomb of Horrors.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2016 :  10:15:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
E) Isn't based on any FR novel because sorry for saying so they just aren't very good (the best I read is still almost unbearable)

And apologies for my rudeness. I love the Realms but just not the novels.

quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
I think there are many great FR novels out there, and there are those that aren't so great.

This is about personal taste. I don't like most of the novels, I must confess, but there are a few writers whose work I really like. Novels are different from movies, on the other hand, and maybe some action sequences that were not my stuff in novels will work well in the silver screen.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  22:03:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I think it will take an act of Tymora for any D&D movie to succeed. It's difficult to make a fantasy-related movie mainstream and pull it off well. The LOTR movies were fantastic, but most of the stuff that comes out is merely visually appealing while lacking story or a strong cast, etc.

Take the "Shannara Chronicles" for example: looks great (aside from the over-indulged elf ears), tastes like crap. Terrible casting, writing, so on and so forth.

This really goes to show how people's tastes differ. My wife and I both love the new series. I haven't had any problem with the casting or acting and I think the story is pretty cool. I don't have the perspective of someone who's read the books so I don't think I have any biases towards the story. Similar to when they had the series Legend of the Seeker, my wife and I loved the show but I heard from a few fans of the books how bad the show was.

I thought "Legend of the Seeker" suffered from the same things I listed for the "Shannara Chronicles."

On a positive note, the "Game of Thrones" show did an excellent job in their casting.

I liked the lead actress in Legend of the Seeker, but they could never do the novels justice on a network that has to do it PG-13.

It should have been done by HBO or Netflix or something.

Legend of the Seeker is to rape, what Game of Thrones is to murder of main characters.

You can't show that on PG tv.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000