Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  15:43:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

He was Wulfgar's sidekick.

We must have read a diffrent series

Salvatore himself, said in an interview back in the day, that he came up with Drizzt on the spur of the moment, when asked about Wulfgar's sidekick.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

slow-wizard
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  16:18:32  Show Profile Send slow-wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A prologue giving scenes of Lloth treason, Corellon striking back, corruption of Wendonai, transformation to drow would make the same effect Battle of Last Allaince did in FoTR.
The great start for a blockbuster. And D&D need a blockbuster movie to endure else Hasbro will shut this down in 10 years IMHO.

A series of good movies (like Marvel movies) will bring new fans.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  17:19:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they have to go the ''drow-outcast'' route, I'd prefer that they showcased Liriel rather than Drizzt. Even setting aside my personal preference, her story gives a lot more insight into the various drow cultures and faiths* (while also showcasing more of Faerun), and has a greater impact on the drow than what Drizzt did. Her story is also far smaller than Drizzt's, and therefore easier to put into movie-format IMO. Plus, she's just awesome :P

*Also removing any opportunities for some poeple to open the whole ''OMG the drow are black and therefore evil'' can of worms.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 15 Feb 2016 18:16:30
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  17:24:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could go for a Liriel movie myself, for the reasons you mentioned :) Drizzt was my introduction to the Realms, but while the story itself was good and I was a Drizzt fan, it wasn't a great introduction to the Realms itself.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  18:14:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

If they have to go the ''drow-outcast'' route, I'd prefer that they showcased Liriel rather than Drizzt. Even setting aside my personal preference, her story gives a lot more insight into the various drow cultures and faiths* (while also showcasing more of Faerun), and has a greater impact on the drow than what Drizzt did. Her story is also far smaller than Drizzt's, and therefore easier to put into movie-format IMO. Plus, she's just awesome :P

*Therefore also removing any opportunities for some poeple to open the whole ''OMG the drow are black and therefore evil'' can of worms.

That's a valid point... While her backstory does involve the typical drow treachery and murder, she's not as much someone rejecting their society because of moral outrage as she is just someone who never quite fit in, and fled both to stay alive and to pursue her own course. So that makes her backstory a lot easier to handle on the big screen.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  18:16:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I could go for a Liriel movie myself, for the reasons you mentioned :) Drizzt was my introduction to the Realms, but while the story itself was good and I was a Drizzt fan, it wasn't a great introduction to the Realms itself.

Liriel is one of my fave Realms characters... Which isn't overly surprising; she is one of Elaine's characters. I think the majority of my fave Realms characters were from Elaine's pen (with the exception of Elaith Craulnober; he's an Ed creation, but Elaine is the one who ran with him).

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  18:33:16  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slow-wizard

A prologue giving scenes of Lloth treason, Corellon striking back, corruption of Wendonai, transformation to drow would make the same effect Battle of Last Allaince did in FoTR.
The great start for a blockbuster. And D&D need a blockbuster movie to endure else Hasbro will shut this down in 10 years IMHO.

A series of good movies (like Marvel movies) will bring new fans.

That is a good point. If they could give a kind of backstory in the beginning that explained who Lolth was, and thus who the drow were, then that would also give new fans a better taste of the Realms. Not all, but a lot of fantasy movies (and books too, via prologue), give an explanation in the beginning. It says this is why things are the way they are.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  18:48:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you know, we could skip the whole drow thing, since there are other races in the Realms. The average movie-goer is going to better identify with a human main character.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  18:55:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I really don't think that they're going to do drow. At least not right off the bat.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  19:06:45  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they aren't going to do drow, then they should stay away from a Drizzt movie. This is why I think they should go with original characters. That, and if they do butcher it, they wouldn't be butchering any FR novels. It would just be a bad movie, not a bad movie based on a good book series.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  19:58:29  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they're not going to deal with Drizzt and go with a generic/original host of characters why even bother with the Realms at all? To most non-D&D people the Realms is just another generic-fictional area that has zero meaning to them outside of what's showcased in the movie.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  20:11:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see how a Drizzt movie would change that. Again, it would be a Drizzt movie, not an FR movie.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  21:05:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

If they're not going to deal with Drizzt and go with a generic/original host of characters why even bother with the Realms at all? To most non-D&D people the Realms is just another generic-fictional area that has zero meaning to them outside of what's showcased in the movie.

Yes, because there is only one character in the entire setting. And every single person out there, even those who have never heard of D&D, know who he is.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  00:30:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, because there is only one character in the entire setting. And every single person out there, even those who have never heard of D&D, know who he is.

You're right, they should definitely do a movie about the famous Alias and Dragonbait. That would showcase the Realms SOO much! And people would easily become enmeshed with the setting instantly!

Or maybe Elminster when he started out as a mage!

Or Mirt, a movie ALL about Mirt would definitely be way more fun....

[/sarcasm]
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  00:41:14  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great idea! A movie about Mirt would be a lot more fun than earnest, goody-two-shoes Drizzt.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  00:48:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was speaking solely as a Drizzt fan, I would be like "yeah, Drizzt movie!" But I am speaking as a Realms fan, which involves more than just Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  00:50:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right, they should definitely do a movie about the famous Alias and Dragonbait. That would showcase the Realms SOO much! And people would easily become enmeshed with the setting instantly!

Actually, it would - We do get to see a pretty sizable chunk of the Realms in Azure Bonds; there aren't many novels that showcase the setting as much as that one does.

quote:

Considering that Elminster was drawing people into the Realms long before any other character, it's far from being the worst idea. Heck, there might not be a published Realms if Elminster wasn't there to get people interested in the setting.

quote:

[/sarcasm]

I really don't understand this sarcasm. Why wouldn't a movie about Mirt be fun?

...But there's another point you seem to be disregarding: Every single time this topic has come up, going back to my days on the WotC forums, I have advocated for a new tale with new characters. I do it again in this very thread. Because as I've pointed out countless times, every character in the Realms was a new character once. If even our most iconic characters can start off entirely unknown and then become popular, why the assumption that this could never possibly work?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Feb 2016 05:11:59
Go to Top of Page

slow-wizard
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  09:15:09  Show Profile Send slow-wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are doing a movie that takes place in Metropolis, Superman is the lead. You dont make up a new guy.
I'm not that big a Drizzt fan but i want to see FR on big screen and i want it to be a big hit. Otherwise this all D&D franchise is dead man walking.
We are the last generation who still into tabletop Role Playing games. We need new and young adult fans for D&D to live. i started to pay for D&D books, novels at age of 14 and now im 31 still doing the same thing and will do so as long as they are in business.

Drizzt is the biggest milk cow Wotc has so i think it makes sense to open with it. Two blades elf warrior who is kind of melancholy man is big among young adults.
Even Peter Jackson pulled Legolas out of his a** for Hobbit movies to bring fans.

Once you prove FR movies is a good investment then go tell other stories about other parts of this amazing setting. Tell about waterdeep, comyr, thay and zulkirs.. Some of them may tank at box office but who cares? You already proved FR can make money if your movie is good.
But if you make up a new hero without any cannon background lore to it then congratulations you have made another generic godawful D&D movie of 2000s..
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  10:30:34  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are just as many people who hate the whole emo redeemed drow thing. Driz'zt's simply too polarizing a character. Artemis Entreri would be better, and ol' Arty's tale works as a miniseries more than a movie.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  11:20:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slow-wizard

If you are doing a movie that takes place in Metropolis, Superman is the lead. You dont make up a new guy.

That's because Metropolis and Superman are linked. It was created for him. It's not at all the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  14:37:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given today's PC driven society, making a Realms movie featuring evil dark (black) elves might not be the way to go. Just sayin.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  15:09:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Given today's PC driven society, making a Realms movie featuring evil dark (black) elves might not be the way to go. Just sayin.

That's one of the reasons why I said that, if they really have to go with the drow, they should use Liriel. Her story features a variety of drow cultures, not just the evil matriarchal spider fetishists.

Personally, I also find her more compelling than Drizzt.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  15:34:45  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Actually, it would - We do get to see a pretty sizable chunk of the Realms in Azure Bonds; there aren't many novels that showcase the setting as much as that one does.

Right but no one knows who Alais IS or, IMO, would be all that interested in her story at first. There's nothing really grabbing about the trilogy for someone brand new to the Realms or even fantasy. And most people wouldn't know why Dragonbait can't talk and probably would be come annoyed by the end of the movie.

quote:

quote:

Considering that Elminster was drawing people into the Realms long before any other character, it's far from being the worst idea. Heck, there might not be a published Realms if Elminster wasn't there to get people interested in the setting.

How long does Making of a Mage span in Realms-years? Additionally, you're going to anger some of the general populace when he changes genders, as interesting as that seems from a movie about magic. Further good luck doing a first Realms movie directly involving Gods who not only talk to you but directly and physically interact with you.

quote:

quote:

[/sarcasm]

I really don't understand this sarcasm. Why wouldn't a movie about Mirt be fun?

Because Mirt is pretty boring, honestly. He hangs out in Waterdeep. He adventures......occasionally. He works best when it's mostly court intrigue and dealing with the Lord of Waterdeep, which wouldn't make a very good 1st Realms/D&D movie.

quote:

...But there's another point you seem to be disregarding: Every single time this topic has come up, going back to my days on the WotC forums, I have advocated for a new tale with new characters. I do it again in this very thread. Because as I've pointed out countless times, every character in the Realms was a new character once. If even our most iconic characters can start off entirely unknown and then become popular, why the assumption that this could never possibly work?

Sure, but what is going to GRAB non-Realms/D&D fans to the theaters? Here's the thing, I didn't read (still haven't) ONE book of JRR Tolkiens. I find his writing abysmal. I got to Tom Bombadill (sp?) and stopped. NO thanks! But I went and saw EVERY single movie because they were awesome. LOADS of Tolkien fans didn't like the movies because.....da ta da DA! they were too close to the source material. Same thing here, D&D fans and especially Realms fans on the whole don't like Drizzt or find him annoying with how much publicity he gets. It's a fair complaint because WotC doesn't focus on too many others and I agree that's a problem. But despite our own reservations about seeing Drizzt on the big screen, I still believe that's the Realms BEST shot at being popular to non-D&D/Realms fans.

You have to think "What will draw in BIG audiences and sell LOTS of movie tickets?" Is a random fantasy-movie based on some semi-well known franchise tagged with the D&D label going to cut it? Take a movie that details Undermountain or on an organizaton like the Harpers vs. the Zhentarim, is that going to draw in $135 million tickets opening weekend (that's the number Deadpool received, a movie most people wrote off as a would-be flop)? Is Olive Rustkettle and Alias and Dragonbait going to garner that much love? Would a movie about Arilyn Moonblade? Maybe if the 1st movie takes off and you can delve into the Lore and Backdrop more. But not as a 1st-time "reboot" D&D movie.

As for Original characters, they were mostly original in books before the big screen. They gain popularity through fiction in novels and THEN made their way to the big screen. How many original characters can you name from a fantasy-based movie (not novel or one based off of a novel) that did exceptionally well at the box office? I can think of one: Willow. And that was claimed to not be a financial flop and did make some money at $57 million in the box office. It was up against some pretty tough competition such as Crocodile Hunter 2 and Rambo 3.......right.

If D&D wants to succeed in the movie business they need to knock one out of the PARK the first go around. Period. If they can do that you can garner a broader general interest in the characters and setting, opening the door to different characters and showcasing the larger world. But that initial movie HAS to be #1 at the Box Office or else it'll be another 15 to 20 years before Hasbro even attempts another movie.

Edited by - Diffan on 16 Feb 2016 15:37:08
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  16:07:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only way I would support a Drizzt movie is if they did what was suggested here earlier and give a kind of prologue that explains things. But then again, they should do that for any Realms movie. People who aren't familiar with the setting are going to need context.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  16:27:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only way I would support a Drizzt movie is if they did what was suggested here earlier and give a kind of prologue that explains things. But then again, they should do that for any Realms movie. People who aren't familiar with the setting are going to need context.

Something like what they did for the first few minutes of the Fellowship of the Ring movie could work.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  16:50:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Something like what they did for the first few minutes of the Fellowship of the Ring movie could work.

Yep, a dialog about the fall of Dark Elves, their evil goddess Lloth, their ideology, etc. Then a moving camera shot of Icewind Dale, the Ten Towns, and Kelvin's Cairn as boats are doing their thing on Lac Dinneshere. It zooms onto a hooded and cloaked figure at the top, awaiting the huffing and puffing Dwarf to the summit for the forging of Aegis-fang.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  17:33:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep, a dialog about the fall of Dark Elves, their evil goddess Lloth, their ideology, etc. Then a moving camera shot of Icewind Dale, the Ten Towns, and Kelvin's Cairn as boats are doing their thing on Lac Dinneshere. It zooms onto a hooded and cloaked figure at the top, awaiting the huffing and puffing Dwarf to the summit for the forging of Aegis-fang.

...followed by the rumble of Regis' belly...

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 16 Feb 2016 17:33:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  19:01:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right but no one knows who Alais IS or, IMO, would be all that interested in her story at first. There's nothing really grabbing about the trilogy for someone brand new to the Realms or even fantasy. And most people wouldn't know why Dragonbait can't talk and probably would be come annoyed by the end of the movie.

Alias is just as well-known to the average movie-goer as Drizzt is: in other words, not at all. And if the average movie-goer has no idea who the character is, why not have that character be original?

I still don't understand the argument that a new character couldn't possibly succeed. A very significant chunk of what Hollywood churns out involves characters written specifically for the movies they appear in -- including in adaptations of novels and such. (Heck, look at the prior version of Deadpool, in that horrible Wolverine movie)

quote:

How long does Making of a Mage span in Realms-years? Additionally, you're going to anger some of the general populace when he changes genders, as interesting as that seems from a movie about magic. Further good luck doing a first Realms movie directly involving Gods who not only talk to you but directly and physically interact with you.

You don't have to cover his entire story. And even if you do cover a significant span of time, a lot of that can be handled in a simple montage -- which Hollywood really likes.

quote:

Because Mirt is pretty boring, honestly. He hangs out in Waterdeep. He adventures......occasionally. He works best when it's mostly court intrigue and dealing with the Lord of Waterdeep, which wouldn't make a very good 1st Realms/D&D movie.

Mirt wasn't always a Lord of Waterdeep. He was once a feared mercenary captain -- so that's when you focus on. Set the movie when he's a merc or just trying to get out of the business, and you've got something.

quote:

Sure, but what is going to GRAB non-Realms/D&D fans to the theaters? Here's the thing, I didn't read (still haven't) ONE book of JRR Tolkiens. I find his writing abysmal. I got to Tom Bombadill (sp?) and stopped. NO thanks! But I went and saw EVERY single movie because they were awesome. LOADS of Tolkien fans didn't like the movies because.....da ta da DA! they were too close to the source material. Same thing here, D&D fans and especially Realms fans on the whole don't like Drizzt or find him annoying with how much publicity he gets. It's a fair complaint because WotC doesn't focus on too many others and I agree that's a problem. But despite our own reservations about seeing Drizzt on the big screen, I still believe that's the Realms BEST shot at being popular to non-D&D/Realms fans.

The best way to not have something draw too closely from the source material is to make a new story.

And I've yet to see an explanation for why an original story can't succeed. Every Realms novel was an original story, once.

quote:

You have to think "What will draw in BIG audiences and sell LOTS of movie tickets?" Is a random fantasy-movie based on some semi-well known franchise tagged with the D&D label going to cut it? Take a movie that details Undermountain or on an organizaton like the Harpers vs. the Zhentarim, is that going to draw in $135 million tickets opening weekend (that's the number Deadpool received, a movie most people wrote off as a would-be flop)? Is Olive Rustkettle and Alias and Dragonbait going to garner that much love? Would a movie about Arilyn Moonblade? Maybe if the 1st movie takes off and you can delve into the Lore and Backdrop more. But not as a 1st-time "reboot" D&D movie.

So if you can't take time to delve into the lore, is the best choice a guy who needed an entire trilogy for his backstory?

And not having time to delve into the lore is the perfect argument for Azure Bonds as a movie -- it introduces the Realms like no other book, with the possible exception of Elfshadow.

It's also the perfect argument for a new story, since then you're not having any backstory to have to delve into.

And a lot of movies are considered successful without an $135M opening weekend. Deadpool wouldn't have been able to get that kind of opening, anyway, without the aggressive (and creative!) marketing campaign, and the fact that it's movie #347 in the very successful Marvel Cinematic Universe.

You could have all the most popular characters in the Realms paired up with topless Victoria's Secret models and still not have that kind of opening weekend.

quote:

As for Original characters, they were mostly original in books before the big screen. They gain popularity through fiction in novels and THEN made their way to the big screen. How many original characters can you name from a fantasy-based movie (not novel or one based off of a novel) that did exceptionally well at the box office? I can think of one: Willow. And that was claimed to not be a financial flop and did make some money at $57 million in the box office. It was up against some pretty tough competition such as Crocodile Hunter 2 and Rambo 3.......right.

Considering that it's only been recently that fantasy movies have been able to succeed, that's not really a valid question.

You are also ignoring the fact that aside from comic books, Hollywood hasn't really *tried* a shared world movie.

quote:

If D&D wants to succeed in the movie business they need to knock one out of the PARK the first go around. Period. If they can do that you can garner a broader general interest in the characters and setting, opening the door to different characters and showcasing the larger world. But that initial movie HAS to be #1 at the Box Office or else it'll be another 15 to 20 years before Hasbro even attempts another movie.

I agree that they need to knock it out of the park... But they're going to have to use characters not known to the general audience, and they have to use characters that can be adequately explored in just one movie. We, the FR fanbase, are practically negligible in terms of the general movie-going populace -- so appealing to us and using someone we know is really an unnecessary complication.

Since we're too small to be part of the equation, and the average person isn't going to know a drow from an osquip, there is literally no reason at all to not go for a new story with new characters. And past success of novels is not any kind of guarantee of movie success; the prior attempts at Lord of the Rings movies prove that -- and I doubt that every single Realms novel ever sold compares to the number of the Lord of the Rings books sold.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  19:13:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am all for the original character approach. I would go see that over a Drizzt movie. Because Wooly is right, most people outside or D&D probably aren't going to be familiar with Drizzt. And while there are a lot of Drizzt fans out there, there are also D&D fans who -don't- want to see a Drizzt movie.

I think they should make a movie with original characters, and if it's successful and draws people to the Realms, then they can try making one with already established characters, be it Drizzt or Elminster or whomever.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  19:20:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, given the way Hollywood works and the often loose approach to adapting material from other media, I'd expect a Forgotten Realms movie to be something mostly generic fantasy, with just enough FR references sprinkled in to justify the name.

I am reminded, in particular, of some of the Three Musketeers movies I've seen -- I think in one case, the script writers were actually in the same room as the original novel. That's not to say they were paying any attention to it, but there were enough tidbits scattered through the movie to make me think someone attached to the movie had at least read a summary of the novel. And that was the closest of the bunch to the original book.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Feb 2016 19:22:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000