Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Taulmaril the Heart Seeker
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  21:30:29  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Beast, can please break down this weapon's history and abilities for us? As well as the Quiver of Ehlonna(??). You are a victim of your own success. Your write up on Icingdeath was extremely well researched and put together. Thanks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  21:43:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The quiver of Ehlonna was a standard magical item in 2E -- it was in the DMG (I don't have the page number handy; this was lifted from Core Rules CD):

quote:
This appears to be a typical arrow container capable of holding about 20 arrows. It has an aura of alteration if magic is detected for, and examination shows that it has three distinct portions. The first and smallest one can contain up to 60 objects of the same general size and shape as long bow arrows. The second, slightly longer, compartment will hold up to 18 objects of the same general size and shape as a javelin. The third and longest portion of the case will contain as many as six objects of the same general size and shape as a bow—spears or staves, for example. Such a quiver is always found empty, but once the owner has filled it, he can command the quiver to produce any stored items he wishes each round.

I believe Ehlonna is a Greyhawk deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Jan 2016 21:45:34
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  21:50:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Similar, but not quite the same as the Quiver of Anariel (??) or a Bottomless Quiver.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  22:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The quiver of Ehlonna was a standard magical item in 2E -- it was in the DMG (I don't have the page number handy; this was lifted from Core Rules CD):

I believe Ehlonna is a Greyhawk deity.

I don't remember where I saw or read it, but somewhere someone had suggested renaming the Quiver of Ehlonna to the Quiver of Mielikki if they didn't want the Greyhawk reference.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  23:08:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did that years ago when I added the magic items tables from FR4 The Magister to the existing ones in Unearthed Arcana. Quiver of Mielikki, Mystra's Mystical Manual (Boccob's Blessed Book), Shaundakaul's Handy Haversack, Elminster's Spoon, etc. etc. Ah the time I had on my hands back in the day!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  01:27:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, were u just reskining old products? Major diss. Too often has that defined every edition since 2.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Jan 2016 01:27:44
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  03:41:52  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taulmaril the Heart Seeker is a force keen elven longbow. There was an article on the old WotC site. Her quiver was a Quiver of Anariel that could create alchemical silver arrows. I don't think either has much history.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  05:11:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Krash, were u just reskining old products? Major diss. Too often has that defined every edition since 2.

That was about 25 years ago, in a small Australian city with no prospect of ever talking about my hobby with anyone around the world. So I reskinned like a mofo ...

They were pretty treasure tables though when I was done.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  05:25:48  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

That was about 25 years ago, in a small Australian city with no prospect of ever talking about my hobby with anyone around the world. So I reskinned like a mofo ...

They were pretty treasure tables though when I was done.

-- George Krashos

That certainly puts it before the Realms List email group.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  23:03:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expound upon the force missile weapon property, please. There is naught to find in the SRD

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  23:15:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, no offence. You've gone from renaming D&D items to fit your campaign to an FR all-star. None can deny your brilliance, creativity and grasp of the Realms, as they should be.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Jan 2016 23:23:00
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  02:56:59  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Force weapon property gives +1d6 force damage, and hits incorporeal targets.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  07:27:21  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, there are gazillions of Magic Item and spell references to Greyhawk's Mordenkainen. If I play strictly in a Realms campaign…. does it make sense to rename all of them for the sake of setting accuracy?

And who is the Realms equivalent of the Great Mage Mordenkainen? Elminster?? I don't know a single official (DM's Guide) spell named after Elminster.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  07:53:49  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wizards, sorcerers etc plane travel. Khelben the younger left toril for oerth, who is to say that some wizard didn't bring a copy of spell Xfrom a colleague name Berk the mage that he met while in Sigil?

also in the 3.x spell compendium they did that, but all it really is too much work. no player really has to know that Bigby was a wizard of great renown was from oerth( aka greyhawk)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 19 Jan 2016 07:56:18
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  08:11:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ummm only because I don't know if the timer has ran out for the edit yet .

but if you look in the old arcane age, you can find FR names for the dmg spells.....

and I looked, elminster only has ever had 1 spell to his name.

though, I think he made more items than spells....( though those too are not listed other than his ever smoking pipe to my knowledge, I know there were some listed in one of the more recent elminster books...)

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  08:39:37  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

wizards, sorcerers etc plane travel. Khelben the younger left toril for oerth, who is to say that some wizard didn't bring a copy of spell Xfrom a colleague name Berk the mage that he met while in Sigil?

also in the 3.x spell compendium they did that, but all it really is too much work. no player really has to know that Bigby was a wizard of great renown was from oerth( aka greyhawk)

Hmm, that's actually a good explanation. Now that I re-read about Mordenkainen, I now remember vaguely that he also was a great wizard that "travelled the worlds". Which I guess can explain why although he is a native of the World of Greyhawk, his magic and influence had easily leaked/introduced (centuries ago) onto the other worlds like Toril, etc.

OK, I'll buy that.

Edited by - moonbeast on 19 Jan 2016 08:41:03
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  09:48:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover (p.44):

"Named spells are usually named for their creators. There are spells by Bigby, Mordenkainen and other characters who are not native to the Realms in the 2nd Edition lists. Given that travel to other planes is common among the higher level mages of the Realms, this should be expected. While it is suspected that Elminster has visited Oerth and Bigby has visited Toril, it is known that Mordenkainen and Vangerdahast both competed magically for the hand of a young extra-planar beauty (both lost, by the way)."

Also, see Ed's "The Wizards Three" articles in Dragon for more insight into the various D&D worlds coming together. Lots of crossover.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  15:10:16  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've actually found two: Elminster's Effulgent Epuration and Elminster's Evasion. Don't know if there are more.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 19 Jan 2016 15:10:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  18:07:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was a world-hopping mage, and I found a spell on one world that wasn't known on my own world, I'd be happy to casually forget to mention to my colleagues that I didn't create it. It's not my fault they made an assumption and decided to name it after me...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  18:08:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

I've actually found two: Elminster's Effulgent Epuration and Elminster's Evasion. Don't know if there are more.

I would suspect that El has a lot of spells that he's created... But he's either not shared them, or he's shared them under or allowed other names to be applied to them.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  19:52:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

wizards, sorcerers etc plane travel. Khelben the younger left toril for oerth,

...and Bigby has visited Toril.
We even know (from the lore on Khelben's Warding Whip) that either of those times Blackstaff ran into Bigby "not on the best of terms" (he got spanked? ).

quote:

though, I think he made more items than spells....( though those too are not listed other than his ever smoking pipe to my knowledge, I know there were some listed in one of the more recent elminster books...)

At least 3: Elminster's Multiple Mouths, Elminster's Effulgent Epuration, Elminster's Evasion.
The part of it is that he tweaked existing ones a lot, and quite possibly has known, but not attributed ones - what's with secret scroll-seeding as a part of his job.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  21:45:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

wizards, sorcerers etc plane travel. Khelben the younger left toril for oerth,

...and Bigby has visited Toril.
We even know (from the lore on Khelben's Warding Whip) that either of those times Blackstaff ran into Bigby "not on the best of terms" (he got spanked? ).

My guess would be that their meeting wasn't exactly friendly, but wasn't necessarily hostile, either... Bigby, a very hands-on kind of guy (), tried to show off by casting all those spells with his name on them... And Khelben, as a kind of snarky reply, crafted an "anti-Bigby" spell.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  03:02:44  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

I would suspect that El has a lot of spells that he's created... But he's either not shared them, or he's shared them under or allowed other names to be applied to them.

I suspect too that Elminster, being Faerun's pre-eminent Mage Supremo, has created some spells of his own. But I also suspect that it's simply a metagame oversight that the WotC/TSR staff simply forgot to incorporate Elminstrian spells into current rulebooks. After all, Forgotten Realms (Elminster's home) has become the DOMINANT setting for how many years now? Since 3rd or 4th edition? It's definitely the DEFAULT supported setting as of 5th Edition. And yet they (WotC) keep forgetting to incorporate the magical influence of the Realms' most legendary mage. They sorta dropped the ball on this.
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2016 :  10:21:05  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think they dropped the ball.

First I think they kinda of leave Elminster alone and, you know let his creator deal with him...at least unofficially.

Second, be thankful they don't bother. It's not like your average writer could ever do an Elminster spell justice. Oh sure they could slap his name on a spell, ''Elminster's Awesome Fire Bolt'', but it will be super lame and do like 2d6 damage and have no other effects.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000