Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Climate Map of Faerūn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2016 :  12:29:15  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for something like a climate map of Faerūn, broken down according to each region.

I've run a couple of searches on the boards but have not managed to turn up anything relevant. Is there anything equivalent to a climate map out there? The second ed. source-books, Lands of Intrigue and The North give really good climatological information but an all-encompassing reference is what is really desired.

This could be a very worthwhile endeavour for someone out there who is both informed and dedicated enough to take up the project. It would certainly be a priceless resource for Dungeon Masters.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2016 :  15:17:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen maps with the continents of Toril over-layed on the continents of Earth. If nothing else, you could over-lay Earth's climates on Toril using those maps.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  10:14:55  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds promising, is there a link available to any of these resources?
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  10:40:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try these:

Maybe this helps?

OR

Maybe this?

Much hurry here...hope that helps!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2016 :  11:50:55  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The second map seems about right, thank you very much.

I think that first map is more representative of scale as opposed to climate, seeing how the jungles of Chult are layed over Newfoudland.

Any more information on comparable geographic coordinates out there? Like I said the second map seems accurate but I also remember reading related information on the forums here but I'm not sure where exactly. In the same thread I remember it being mentioned that Faerūn was roughly bigger than north america by a third, I'm guessing that's true.
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  15:27:46  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Waterdeep was a bit further North than what that second map shows. However that map is using the 5E map so maybe they've shrunk the realms yet again with the new edition.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19153

The thread linked above talks about Waterdeep being along the 57th parallel, which would put it up as far North as Jeaneu, Alaska. I know this doesn't help with the original question much but hopefully stops you from going down the wrong path.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  20:32:30  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking for a nice map that would show the Western Heartlands and so on imposed over a map of Europe to give a better idea of what sort of climate range it might have...but frankly the Forgotten Realms is so far different from Earth that it is a really difficult thing to find information on.

My best feeling has always been that Waterdeep is essentially the "London" of the Sword Coast, and then north of that things get colder and wetter.

To me that puts Calimshan in North Africa, and points south simply further south along the African coast.

For the interior, because of the size of the Inner Sea, you again have to shift gears and think of different regions. The Moonsea is always portrayed as much colder and wetter than even Sembia; so I've often thought of it being similar to the Baltic area of Europe. Going south from there things change drastically though...and I put the Dales in a climate much more similar to what the lands currently occupied by Poland would be, with Cormyr having a climate much like Slovenia/Yugoslavia. Sembia changes things again, and I give it a little more like Southern France.

Really, I've found that it is best to create your own "feel" for where you are playing...the Realms is a huge place!

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  23:04:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I very much go with what Dalor said about creating your own feel. There's a lot more to climate than just latitude/longitude. Mountain ranges, local volcanic activity, evaporation off large bodies of water, all can make for a very different climate than one might expect. That doesn't even account for what magic might do to the weather patterns. Using latitude/longitude helps give a baseline, but ultimately, there's a lot more to it.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  00:05:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall some statement somewhere that Waterdeep's weather was most comparable to Seattle, Washington.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  01:06:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I seem to recall some statement somewhere that Waterdeep's weather was most comparable to Seattle, Washington.

Me too...though I don't remember where. To give Waterdeep a more Medieval feel to it though, I tell my players that London (which experiences much the same weather we do here in the Seattle area) is a close approximation.

It doesn't rain here all the time; but that is a common idea among people.

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  10:57:28  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Emerald Sage

The second map seems about right, thank you very much.

I think that first map is more representative of scale as opposed to climate, seeing how the jungles of Chult are layed over Newfoudland.

The first map is mixing projections. The Earth projection is Mercator, the Toril projection is not (I'd go so far as to say the Toril map has no projection, in fact). The second map's latitudes match up with the latitudes on the map in Faiths & Avatars, which shows the equator running through the very northmost part of Zakhara, and Tethyr around the 30th parallel. I made a series of overlays of the equarectangular map from the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas back in the late 90s (which was made from the Kara-Tur and Waterdeep Trail Maps, as well as the Maztica and Al-Qadim maps) with an equarectangular Earth map.

http://www.aulddragon.com/images/toril-overlay-02a.png
http://www.aulddragon.com/images/toril-overlay-02b.png
http://www.aulddragon.com/images/toril-overlay-02c.png

One thing to note is that Toril seems to be in a minor ice age, considering the extent of the northern polar cap in particular, although this could be caused by a weak or non-existent jet stream or very cold oceans. I think the cyan-blue is the winter extent of ice, with the light blue being the year-round ice.

A few quick notes: Evermeet is about where southern Italy is, Waterdeep lines up with Brittany/a bit south of Seattle, the Sea of Fallen Stars lines up well with the Mediterranean around Malta, Kozakura is pretty much exactly where Japan is, Cormyr lines up with Virginia, Icewind Dale is roughly where Northern Ireland is, the Moonshaes are where Spain and Greece are, and the Great Glacier would cover pretty much all of Ukraine.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2016 :  14:12:13  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did some digging, and hopefully the following will help. I didn't get specifics on the Moonsea or lands further East, like Thay, but this might help the OP. I listed my sources, as each has a bit more detail than what I've given; particularly Elminster's Ecologies. You'll find tables for weather and such, and some more specific numbers in some areas.

Arctic Climates: Icewind Dale.

Subarctic: The majority of the North, including the Spine of the World. Temps range from -30 to 40 F in the winter, Summer temps can reach the 70's.
The coast between Waterdeep and Port Llast stays warmer and wetter throughout the year than inland regions. (The North: The Wilderness, pg5)

Calimshan: Temperate, but warmer than Tethyr of Amn due to Southerly location, the warming effects of the Shining Sea, and volcanic activity that effects the Lake of Steam. (Empires of the Shining Sea, pg 49)

Tethyr: Temperate, average precipitation 25-30 inches; long, hot summers, with moderate humidity, mild winters; cooler in the Northern and Eastern parts, with the air getting drier as you approach the coast. (Lands of Intrigue: Tethyr, pp 2-3)

Amn: Not as mild as Tethyr & S, but a pleasant climate year round. Slightly warmer along the W. & NW shores of Lake Esmel due to a hot springs. Rainy season from late fall through spring. (Lands of Intrigue: Amn, pg 2.)

Cormyr & Dales: Temperate. (Elminster's Ecologies: The Settled Lands, pg8)

Stonelands: plagued by storms, heavy rainfall. Two seasons: summer and winter. {Elminster's Ecologies: The Stonelands and the Goblin Marches, pg5)

Sea of Fallen Stars: Scarsdale to Yhaunn: Harsh, nearly constant cold winds from the Sea, little plant life, very little sandy beaches, mostly rocky coast.

Sea of Fallen Stars: Selgaunt to Urmlaspyr: More temperate than previous, and more stable. (Elminster's Ecologies: Coastal Aquatic lands: The Sea of Fallen Stars, pp 3&4)

Thar: Typical high Steppe region. (Elminster's Ecologies: The Great Gray Land of Thar. pg4)

Cormanthor: warmer winters, fewer gale-force winds, higher humidity, and more than its share of rain, partly due to the Mythal's effects. (Elminster's Ecologies: Cormanthor, pg 7)

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000