Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Native Dragonborn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  21:29:59  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In addition to the other, non-Realms title that I posted on the DM Guild website, I decided to try an experiment of a different sort.

In these very halls way back in 2007, I was wondering a bit about incorporating Dragonborn into the Forgotten Realms with a broader approach than only having characters that had gone through the Ritual of Rebirth as detailed in Races of the Dragon.

So now that we have the opportunity to post these kinds of things in an official unofficial manner, I took the opportunity to write up my thoughts on how Native Dragonborn would work, and did a couple of backgrounds to tie them into the Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

I also made it Pay What You Want, because the point is more to share the idea, and possible have the ideas available for others to use in their products, should they so choose.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171314/Native-Dragonborn?src=newest&filters=0_45475_0_0_0_0

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2016 :  22:59:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff.

I was thinking that perhaps Candlekeep should have a dedicated sticky thread in the RPG Products section for submissions made by Candlekeepers so that members can have a look at what is being produced by the community. Wooly?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  01:31:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People totally need to know about your Impiltur timeline on the site as well, George. It's crazy that I couldn't give you money for that. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  01:59:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about just re-imaging Native Dragonborn as off shoots of the Dragon-kin Monsters of Faerūn, 3.0?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  05:14:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

People totally need to know about your Impiltur timeline on the site as well, George. It's crazy that I couldn't give you money for that. ;)

It was disseminated for free, so I couldn't in good conscience turn around and charge for it. If a few things come together and I re-jig some old articles/article ideas for 5E, I'll be charging a small fee for my time and effort, never you fear!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  06:51:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

It was disseminated for free, so I couldn't in good conscience turn around and charge for it. If a few things come together and I re-jig some old articles/article ideas for 5E, I'll be charging a small fee for my time and effort, never you fear!

-- George Krashos

I'll try to have some dollars ready to go when it hits.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  06:58:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

What about just re-imaging Native Dragonborn as off shoots of the Dragon-kin Monsters of Faerūn, 3.0?

Part of what I wanted to do was to use what was already in evidence in Dragons of Faerun, i.e. that there were Dragonborn, and find a way to streamline that back into Dragonborn in the Realms.

The point of this particular article, for me, wasn't so much to rewrite something in the Realms, as to call back to something that was left hanging at the end of 3.5, and then tie that back into something from 5th edition that could probably use a bit more Realms connective tissue, that being the Tyranny of Dragons storyline.

In fact, in reading the beginning of Dragons of Faerun again, I wish they had thrown just a little bit of what I did in my article into the adventures, to at least acknowledge that they did this Tiamat/Bahamut build up before, with no real pay off, before 4th edition hit.

It was strongly suggested in that book that Tiamat helped Sammaster learn about the Dracorage Mythal so that he could overextend himself, and she could move in and start utilizing the Cult of the Dragon for her own ends. Which is what she did in Tyranny of Dragons, but since the plot thread was dropped way back at the end of the 3.5 era, Tiamat taking over the Cult of the Dragon felt like it came out of nowhere.
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2016 :  07:54:17  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There do be dragonborn up in the northern arctic region. I don't know where I read this though (and they weren't explicitly called dragonborn as it was a 2e sourcebook, but they pretty dang well sound like draconic humanoids). Does anyone know where I read that from?

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

I was wondering if that was yours. Now I have to go download it :)

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000