Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dark Elves (Not Drow)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  23:46:08  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, I know I'm late to the party here, but I just purchased the "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" and I couldn't help but notice that there is no mention of the returned Dark Elves and the City of Hope. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal and I'll probably just homebrew it, but how could they just gloss over something that major and quite frankly... that awesome? Is WOTC just basically ignoring this now with their whole new direction and shakeup?

Does the City of Hope and that subrace even still exist as far as we know after the Spellplague and the mysterious "Sundering"?

Anybody else see or hear something I missed?

Edited by - Naeryndam on 05 Jan 2016 23:47:34

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2016 :  23:53:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Ok, I know I'm late to the party here, but I just purchased the "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" and I couldn't help but notice that there is no mention of the returned Dark Elves and the City of Hope. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, this is not a big deal and I'll probably just homebrew it, but how could they just gloss over something that major and quite frankly... that awesome? Is WOTC just basically ignoring this now with their whole new direction and shakeup?

Does the City of Hope and that subrace even still exist as far as we know after the Spellplague and the mysterious "Sundering"?

Anybody else see or hear something I missed?

Rhymanthiin is still there (it gets a brief paragraph, that says that the city is somewhere in the High Moor, and that only good people can find it).

The dark elves have basically been retconned. They have never been mentioned, anywhere, since their appearance in the LP books.

Personally, I'm glad that most of the effects of that series were reverted (Eilistraee and Vhaeraun returning was absolutely needed IMO), but they should have done something with the transformed drow.

To me, the transformation isn't a big deal (what they can do with a brown skin, they could do as drow. It didn't change anything and wasn't needed, or perhaps even wanted, by the followers of Eilistraee...), but to drop it in, and then act like it didn't happen? C'mon...

I don't think that it was such a major thing, though: the books speak about hundreds of drow transforming, that's a rather small number.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 05 Jan 2016 23:56:52
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  00:18:58  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Irennan.

Just went back and you're absolutely right, Rhymanthiin is in there and gets a little blurb. That's good at least, but as you said, no mention of returned Dark Elves. Yes, it was just a few hundred Dark Elves when the city was restored, but I really liked that plot device. To just pretend it never happened is disappointing.

Speaking of pretending things never happened, however DID Eilistraee and Vhaeraun return? Agreed, I am very glad they're back, but have we ever been given an explanation as to how? I thought Halisstra killed them in LP and then they returned in Ed's book.

Boy, Halisstra can't do ANYTHING right, not even kill her own goddess...

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  00:25:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Irennan.

Just went back and you're absolutely right, Rhymanthiin is in there and gets a little blurb. That's good at least, but as you said, no mention of returned Dark Elves. Yes, it was just a few hundred Dark Elves when the city was restored, but I really liked that plot device. To just pretend it never happened is disappointing.

Speaking of pretending things never happened, however DID Eilistraee and Vhaeraun return? Agreed, I am very glad they're back, but have we ever been given an explanation as to how? I thought Halisstra killed them in LP and then they returned in Ed's book.

They managed to come back to life during the Sundering, like many other deities (it basically was Ao's work that gave them the opportunity to return). In Spellstorm it is said that Mystra is currently sharing the Weave with Eilistraee, among others, and then the whole Dark Seldarine is listed as active deities post Sundering in the SCAG, but WotC left how those deities returned very vague. It just happened, which --even if the change is more than welcomed-- is pretty disappointing, again (even more so because this seems to be their policy for everything in 5e).

Either way, Ed has given his explanation, but (even if usually his lore is canon, unless overwritten by WotC) he has said that it is non canon. The explantion is here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=22#476639

However, the part that says that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are now ''friends'' is indeed canon, and (save for the transformed drow) it's basically the one good thing that came out of the LP books.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Jan 2016 00:27:28
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  00:30:30  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never mind, answered my own question lol.

Man, I really need a new source book to keep up with all of this stuff, but I know that's not going to happen with Hasbro's new strategy and resulting shakeup. I totally get it from a business standpoint, but it's really frustrating for fans. Too many sweeping changes in the last decade for me to remember everything and I don't have the hours of free time I had back in the 3E/3.5E days to research all of this anymore. Thank god for this forum and the Forgotten Realms wiki or I'd be completely and hopelessly lost.

Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  00:32:04  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Thanks Irennan.

They managed to come back to life during the Sundering, like many other deities (it basically was Ao's work that gave them the opportunity to return). In Spellstorm it is said that Mystra is currently sharing the Weave with Eilistraee, among others, and then the whole Dark Seldarine is listed as active deities post Sundering in the SCAG, but WotC left how those deities returned very vague. It just happened, which --even if the change is more than welcomed-- is pretty disappointing, again (even more so because this seems to be their policy for everything in 5e).

Either way, Ed has given his explanation, but (even if usually his lore is canon, unless overwritten by WotC) he has said that it is non canon. The explantion is here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19841&whichpage=22#476639

However, the part that says that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are now ''friends'' is indeed canon, and (save for the transformed drow) it's basically the one good thing that came out of the LP books.

Saw that you already answered my question anyway. Thanks so much Irennan. You're awesome.

I totally agree with you, I know that they don't have the budget they used to have and they had dozens of story arcs to tie up for 5E. Still though, simply ignoring them is not the answer. Hopefully, they'll get around to tidying things up eventually.

Edited by - Naeryndam on 06 Jan 2016 00:37:17
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2016 :  00:36:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Never mind, answered my own question lol.

Man, I really need a new source book to keep up with all of this stuff, but I know that's not going to happen with Hasbro's new strategy and resulting shakeup. I totally get it from a business standpoint, but it's really frustrating for fans. Too many sweeping changes in the last decade for me to remember everything and I don't have the hours of free time I had back in the 3E/3.5E days to research all of this anymore. Thank god for this forum and the Forgotten Realms wiki or I'd be completely and hopelessly lost.

It has become old. They promised that the Sundering and every change that it brought would be the last big shakeup, to restore what was lost along the editions. I hope that they keep their promise, as I think that Hasbro would just shelf FR/D&D, if a fanbase schism as the 4e one were to happen.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Jan 2016 00:36:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000