Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2016)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2016 :  18:44:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Stepping in (BTW, Ed will be at Ad Astra this coming Saturday, north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada; the region's longest-running sf, fantasy, etc. convention) to answer Azuth, re. this: "I know I've asked this before, but I'm at a crossroads (literally) in my campaign and I'm uncertain how to proceed, and seek Ed's guidance. It's fair to say without spoiling things too much that Candlekeep is in a state of...disrepair...at the end of The Herald and yet in the latest quasi-Sourcebook it seems as if all is well and good there. One of my players wants to seek lore from the lore masters of Candlekeep and I'm not certain of its state, or if they're accepting petitioners right now. I suspect that part or all of a direct answer is covered by NDA, but can Ed provide any insight as to whether or not the Keep is accepting petitioners (or even better, in any condition to accept petitioners) in the current official campaign year? I can rough in the details from there, but (and I) don't like avoiding things simply because they're not covered in source books, yet we equally dislike when new, published novels contradict what's happened in the game.
Thank you, most beloved THO, for any illuminations you might provide."

Azuth, Ed tells me that the surviving monks of Candlekeep moved very quickly to restore things to as close to normalcy as they could. Heavily damaged chambers were walled or cordoned off, precious tomes moved away from where weather could get at them, etc. ...and monk-respected sages were actively recruited from all over the Realms (want a cushy life with room and board covered? free to come and go as you please [only not carrying books ;}]? come to Candlekeep). Because it's expensive to live in cities and harder and harder to live unassisted as one grows older, many sages accepted. So now there are monks, and there are lay "monks" and the Keep is back to "trying to behave as if nothing happened." The Harpers and certain servitors of Mystra (some of them spectral) have made sure that undercover agents of anyone evil or destructive or inclined to thievery have been rooted out...so the Keep "is back."
This comes from a discussion from Ed. ;}
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2016 :  19:59:27  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear THO, I have three questions for Ed. 1) Are magic and wizards mistrusted or feared in Tethyr as it is in Amn? 2) Are the Harpers still viewed with suspicion in Tethyr? 3) Any interesting mention of political intrigue in current Tethyr? What is the current status of Maztica in the Realms, any clues? (Well, four questions it is :)). Thanks!

Edited by - paladinnicolas on 29 Apr 2016 20:04:38
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
96 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2016 :  19:50:21  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message
A question to Ed. I was wondering if he has roleplayed as a Gold Dwarf character before, and if he has or hasn't, how would a Gold Dwarf sound like according to him? More or less like a regular dwarf with a gruff voice or Scottish-like accent? Or are they haughty and aristocratic-like given their descriptions and histories from the books? Are also they grim and stern like many regular dwarves? Do they also have a distinct accent, since they are generally from the Shining South which is fairly remote from the Shield Dwarf communities in North Faerun?

Edited by - deserk on 01 May 2016 19:56:33
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Learned Scribe

Colombia
308 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  22:40:52  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message
A question for Ed (or anyone who can answer).

According to AD&D The Cult of Dragon, Io is another name of Asgorath, the chief deity of the Draconic Pantheon. In Sword Coast Adventure's Guide is mentioned Io died in the Dawn War. However, 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting says that Asgorath trying to destroy Abeir-Toril with a moon was the reason Ao separated Abeir from Toril, during the Days of Thunder, many years after the Dawn War (as is mentioned the batrachi "released Asgorath and other primordials from their prisons").

My question is: what the heck is Asgorath? Is Io reborn or something like that?

Thanks in advance for the answer :D

—Is there a catch?
—There's always a catch, life's a catch, so catch it while you can...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 04 May 2016 22:46:06
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
789 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2016 :  23:15:16  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi THO

I can't believe I didn't know about Ad Astra...please post if you know of any more Ed appearances in the GTA in the coming months so I can mark them on my calendar and go see him.

Question for Ed - did any of the dracoliches destroyed by Shandril survive into the current 5e realms date (1480s DR I believe?). I know they all survived in that there phylacteries were not destroyed but not sure of what happened past the references in 2ed where they were trying to regrow their bodies. Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  23:00:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Seravin, you happen to have asked something that was asked by one of us (Ed's players in the "home" campaign), and although he usually doesn't answer us (for fear of harming future play possibilities), in this case, at the end of a long night of chatting and working creatively together and drinXXXX ahem, sampling, he merely grinned evilly and said, "Yes."
Nothing more, and would not be nudged into more, though I can be VERY persuasive when I want to be. ;}
So, the answer is "yes." I'll try again and see if he'll reveal more, as that was some time ago...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29999 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2016 :  23:30:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
You know we're always interested in whatever you can reveal, O Hooded One.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2016 :  08:16:03  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Hello again Lady THO.

Tonight I was doing some realms history reading and found myself wondering about Raumathar. There does not seem to be much concrete about it other than its fall. Ed, could you perhaps share with us your lore on the realm that has never made it into publications?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1411 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2016 :  06:47:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

According to what Ed said in 2006, there are (even if they are often located within wooded areas). Yes, it's true that they often form around shrines, and its true that the ritual worship of Eilistraee can be seen as a leisure activity on its own (given that her rituals mostly consist of dance and revelry), but I wanted to know if there were other particular activities common in those communities.

Which - this or this? From these answers it looks like there's perhaps more to those than just monasteries and/or semi-permanent refugee camps, but even this is not conclusive.
My point is, we don't know even the most basic context. Which is to say, almost anything else about settlements of the drow following Eilistraee on the surface - except that they are not uniform, but it's kind of expectable, given that the drow show a lot of creativity even in the same (and very demanding) biome, and now face more varied conditions. Other than they tend to be low-profile an therefore presumably are rather small, which fits with "around a single shrine" image.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 09 May 2016 06:58:18
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2667 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2016 :  13:50:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

According to what Ed said in 2006, there are (even if they are often located within wooded areas). Yes, it's true that they often form around shrines, and its true that the ritual worship of Eilistraee can be seen as a leisure activity on its own (given that her rituals mostly consist of dance and revelry), but I wanted to know if there were other particular activities common in those communities.

Which - this or this? From these answers it looks like there's perhaps more to those than just monasteries and/or semi-permanent refugee camps, but even this is not conclusive.
My point is, we don't know even the most basic context. Which is to say, almost anything else about settlements of the drow following Eilistraee on the surface - except that they are not uniform, but it's kind of expectable, given that the drow show a lot of creativity even in the same (and very demanding) biome, and now face more varied conditions. Other than they tend to be low-profile an therefore presumably are rather small, which fits with "around a single shrine" image.

Yes, I meant both those answers. I know that, of course, there are a variety of those small communities, I wasn't expecting an answer that could be applied to all of them. I'm interested in examples of particular games/leisure activities (if any notable), and of how childrising may work among the drow of Eilistraee.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 09 May 2016 13:58:11
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Seeker

42 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2016 :  19:38:24  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Ed and/or all: greetings! What happens when things, mostly foods, are named after topics related to power, magic and superstition in the realms? For example, if a local sweet made from eggs is named Beholder's Eye, is it considered bad luck to order one? What about non locals being offered that food, would they fear? What if a dish is named Zombie Cake, for being gray? In a world where zombies are a real, terrifying threat, that name is both amazing and inauspicious. Do people get superstitious? What of Larloch's Butterfingers? Would a strong wine called Bane's Blood offend his clergy? Do people mock dead gods by naming a beer Mask's Piss?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2667 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2016 :  21:46:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Hello, Ed and THO.

In the post-Sundering Realms, are there dragon Chosen of Mystra? If yes, how many of them?

As usual, thanks for your time, and best wishes for everything.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Chaotos
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2016 :  21:53:15  Show Profile Send Chaotos a Private Message
O, Great Loremaster!

I was wondering if the spotlight will ever be put on to Abeir. We only have a continent right now, but to see the rest of Toril's twin would be great. Primordial cults, Draconic Despotism, a world in flux. There is so much potential and I would hate to see it wasted.

Will we ever see the other side of the coin?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2016 :  01:14:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chaotos

O, Great Loremaster!

I was wondering if the spotlight will ever be put on to Abeir. We only have a continent right now, but to see the rest of Toril's twin would be great. Primordial cults, Draconic Despotism, a world in flux. There is so much potential and I would hate to see it wasted.

Will we ever see the other side of the coin?

Thank you!

Maybe someone will do something with it on DM's Guild?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  23:23:50  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Well met again Ed & THO

I'm currently reading the Shadow of the Avatar books. Just read the battle scene in Daggerdale and I'm wondering if any of those spells were ever flushed out for use in the home campaign. Spinning lightning that absorbs spells, "soul cages" etc. As one of the knights was there I thought perhaps the story came from a home session... I'd love to see more on any of them.
Go to Top of Page

Sebastrd
Seeker

28 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2016 :  17:15:12  Show Profile  Visit Sebastrd's Homepage Send Sebastrd a Private Message
Ed, where did the names "Amaunator" and Ghaunadaur" come from? Did they have real-world inspirations, or were they purely original creations?
Go to Top of Page

Vulpes
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  09:44:16  Show Profile Send Vulpes a Private Message
I recently took a dive back into the archives to reread all the previous Ed answers. So much lore, and so many questions to derive from that lore! I'll space out my questions, however, as I know answer-time is limited.

Of all the lore I was reminded of, Far Shanooth was far and away the most evocative to me. Can Ed tell us more about it? They travel to other worlds, but how? Through portals or spelljamming? By some other means? All of the above? What particularly interests them, and what have they found? Who rules them? What gods do they worship>
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  15:37:15  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sebastrd

Ed, where did the names "Amaunator" (...) come from?

I'm not Ed, bit AFAIK, the sun god's name brings a strong egyptian influence. From Amun (Amon) and maybe also from Aton (Aten).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  19:11:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I've finally found my way back here, so let me deal with some of the easier lore replies.
Sebastrd, re. "Ed, where did the names "Amaunator" and "Ghaunadaur" come from? Did they have real-world inspirations, or were they purely original creations?"

So far as I and Ed know, "Amaunator" was coined by Eric Boyd, so he would be the man to answer re. its etymology. Ed created "Ghaunadaur," and the name was a purely original creation (applied to Gary Gygax's unnamed "Elder Elemental God," or rather its manifestation in the Realms).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  19:18:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And another...
From The Masked Mage: "Well met again Ed & THO/I'm currently reading the Shadow of the Avatar books. Just read the battle scene in Daggerdale and I'm wondering if any of those spells were ever flushed out for use in the home campaign. Spinning lightning that absorbs spells, "soul cages" etc. As one of the knights was there I thought perhaps the story came from a home session... I'd love to see more on any of them."

Almost none of Ed's fiction comes DIRECTLY from any play session; our "home campaign" Realmsplay tends to be too subplot-multilayered (and therefore "slow") for Realms fiction (George R.R. Martin was indulged in the wordcount necessary to tell tales his way, but Ed never has been, by either TSR or WotC). However, every single spell, magic item, and magical process ("ritual") in Ed's Realms fiction gets written up by him in game terms, and added to the lore. It rarely gets published, and even more rarely still unaltered and in close enough proximity to the fiction appearance and with Ed's name still on it for the connection to be obvious...but it all gets written up in game terms. Ed doesn't deem matters "fair," otherwise.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...And a third...
deserk, re. "A question to Ed. I was wondering if he has roleplayed as a Gold Dwarf character before, and if he has or hasn't, how would a Gold Dwarf sound like according to him? More or less like a regular dwarf with a gruff voice or Scottish-like accent? Or are they haughty and aristocratic-like given their descriptions and histories from the books? Are also they grim and stern like many regular dwarves? Do they also have a distinct accent, since they are generally from the Shining South which is fairly remote from the Shield Dwarf communities in North Faerun?"

According to Ed, most dwarves have deep voices due to their physiology; many dwarves have gruff voices due to breathing in so much rock dust over the years. They only have Scottish accents if your DM and players want them to (they don't in the "home" Realms; Ed avoids all close real-world analogues because it leads to erroneous roleplaying assumptions [player thinks they know X about real-world folk, place, or history, and applies X to the Realms]). Grim and stern are human and elven judgments of dwarven mannerisms that apply to all dwarves if the judger thinks they do; all Ed will say is that dwarves tend to be less talkative/more emphatic than most other races. Gold dwarves are indeed more "aristocratic"/xenophobic than other dwarves, though this is a stereotype; hauteur is, yes, their general stereotypical behavior in the eyes of many across the Realms. Gold dwarves from the South (especially around the Great Rift) do have a distinct accent, though this fades over time for individuals who travel widely and live in places distant from the warm Southlands, and/or among non-dwarves.

Hope this is of help!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  16:31:12  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And another...
From The Masked Mage: "Well met again Ed & THO/I'm currently reading the Shadow of the Avatar books. Just read the battle scene in Daggerdale and I'm wondering if any of those spells were ever flushed out for use in the home campaign. Spinning lightning that absorbs spells, "soul cages" etc. As one of the knights was there I thought perhaps the story came from a home session... I'd love to see more on any of them."

Almost none of Ed's fiction comes DIRECTLY from any play session; our "home campaign" Realmsplay tends to be too subplot-multilayered (and therefore "slow") for Realms fiction (George R.R. Martin was indulged in the wordcount necessary to tell tales his way, but Ed never has been, by either TSR or WotC). However, every single spell, magic item, and magical process ("ritual") in Ed's Realms fiction gets written up by him in game terms, and added to the lore. It rarely gets published, and even more rarely still unaltered and in close enough proximity to the fiction appearance and with Ed's name still on it for the connection to be obvious...but it all gets written up in game terms. Ed doesn't deem matters "fair," otherwise.

love,
THO

THO - could you pass on my request to Ed to see some of these write-ups :P or all of them (not to sound too greedy) :P

Thanks hooded lady !
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
168 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  18:48:31  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO ! I would like to know from Ed Realms campaign what a typical "Harper lair" could contain ?

I assume some magical lights, maybe one gate or two ?

Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  19:03:58  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi Ed and THO ! I would like to know from Ed Realms campaign what a typical "Harper lair" could contain ?

I assume some magical lights, maybe one gate or two ?

Thanks !

Do you have the Code Of The Harpers? Ed was a writer and if memory serves there was an entire chapter about this.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
168 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  20:40:20  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Yes I have, thanks ! I don't know why but I forgot about it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000