Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  19:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Paul S Kemp, whos works include: Shadows Witness, The Erevis Cale Trilogy and the upcoming final book in The War of the Spider Queen series - Resurrection.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  23:10:52  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a great idea! I haven't been on the net much lately, but I'll check back here often.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  19:37:21  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, great to hear from you since you have been away.How are your upcoming projects coming along?What are you currently working on?Any insights on those said projects that you might be willing to impart with?Hope everthing is going well!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  04:19:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Paul, great to hear from you since you have been away.How are your upcoming projects coming along?What are you currently working on?Any insights on those said projects that you might be willing to impart with?Hope everthing is going well!!!!

Cut with the general questions Vedsica and skip to the heart of the matter. Mr. Kemp, are you prepared to utterly change the dark elven race as Forgotten Realms fans know it with the novel that concludes the WOTSQ series? <Sirius leans forward in anticipation>
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  06:27:18  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be really honest here Sirius.I was hoping to hear something about Cale's second novel.Though I am also intrigued concerning the conclusion of WoTSQ.So what's going on here Paul???Haven;t heard from ya in a while.

Oh and Sirius I was just trying to ease Paul back into it

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  13:30:26  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ved and Sirius:

"Dawn of Night," the second book in the Cale trilogy is complete and will be released in June. I'm pleased with how it turned out and think that you will enjoy it. Some of the questions the readers have asked about Cale and Riven will be answered (or at least answers will be suggested), while new questions will arise.

Meanwhile, I'm writing "Resurrection," Book six of the excellent WotSQ series. It's a blast, really. Great characters, great story, great reader interest -- what's to complain about?

Oh, and I'm also putting together in my spare time (such as it is) a short story to contribute to the "Realms of the Dragon" anthology, which is the anthology spin off for Richard Lee Byer's "Year of Rogue Dragons" trilogy.

The upshot is that I've been busy, busy, which is why I haven't been on the boards much.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  13:46:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...Realms of Dragons anthology...

Is there anything more you can tell us about that work?. I had read that it was still speculative...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  16:23:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh and Sirius I was just trying to ease Paul back into it

Oops, did I just miss my Diplomacy check?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  16:26:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Ved and Sirius:

"Dawn of Night," the second book in the Cale trilogy is complete and will be released in June.

How big of a cliff hanger are you leaving us with this time until the trilogy concludes?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions even though you are, as you stated, quite busy especially with a day job still, correct?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  16:28:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Is there anything more you can tell us about that work?. I had read that it was still speculative...

No, I seem to recall reading on the WOTC board, when they used to have a forum for novels, that this project was a go. In fact, I seem to recall a thread where authors listed the various colors they had picked. What color dragon did you end up with Mr. Kemp? And was it your first choice?

Has this anthology got a release date yet?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  16:57:47  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

No, I seem to recall reading on the WOTC board, when they used to have a forum for novels, that this project was a go. In fact, I seem to recall a thread where authors listed the various colors they had picked. What color dragon did you end up with Mr. Kemp? And was it your first choice?

Has this anthology got a release date yet?

Realms of the Dragon is a go, as far as I know. It will serve the same purpose for Richard's "Year of the Rogue Dragon" trilogy as did "Realms of Shadow" for Troy Denning's "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy. I do not know the release date.

My story involves a Shadow Dragon (surprise, surprise), and has a very loose tie in to the Cale trilogy.

As for the cliffhanger in Dawn of Night, well, come on back after you read it and you tell me.

Also, I neglected to add to my post above that I am also working on Book One of a trilogy set in the world of Midnight, by Fantasy Flight Games.

And yes, I still do have my day job, Sirius.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2004 :  03:49:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, I neglected to add to my post above that I am also working on Book One of a trilogy set in the world of Midnight, by Fantasy Flight Games.

And yes, I still do have my day job, Sirius.

So, three different series are being worked on? And a day job? You do sleep right?

Good luck with the Midnight trilogy. That world has a very loyal fan base based upon many of the posts I've seen online.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2004 :  17:31:08  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No wonder why you haven't been on the boards in a while Paul.You are a busy man.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2004 :  18:52:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've already been paid for the story I wrote for Realms of the Dragons, so I assume the anthology's definitely a go. When the writer actually receives some cash from the publisher, that's about as strong a sign that something is really going to happen as you can get, short of seeing the finished book in Waldenbooks or wherever.
Although even getting your advance doesn't mean a project's an absolute, one hundred percent lock. I've gotten paid for contributions to anthologies that were later scrubbed.
Still, I'm pretty darn sure that Realms of the Dragons will come out by and by (I think around the end of the year.)
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2004 :  22:31:19  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know,I was going to say that WoTC wouldn't pull the plug on Realms of Dragons because this is something that people want.After seeing how they pulled the plug on the Novel Forums on thier website.I wouldn't put anything past them.Then again that's probably not for this forum either.So sorry Paul!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  18:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Congrats on getting the task of finishing the War of the Spider Queen!

Next to your Sembia books, and the continuing Cale Saga, War of the Spider Queen has been my favorite set of FR books....so you can understand the joy

The day I heard this news I was delighted.

How did this come about?

Also how much input does R A Salvatore, and Phil Athans give you on a project like this?

Oh and thanks for making me slack jawed at the end of Twilight......talk about cliffhanger!

Thanks

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  18:45:43  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strahd Von Zarovich

Paul,

Congrats on getting the task of finishing the War of the Spider Queen!

Next to your Sembia books, and the continuing Cale Saga, War of the Spider Queen has been my favorite set of FR books....so you can understand the joy

The day I heard this news I was delighted.

How did this come about?

Also how much input does R A Salvatore, and Phil Athans give you on a project like this?

Strahd,

I can only speak to my end of the deal, and it's fairly simple. Phil Athans and Peter Archer called me and asked if I'd be interested in writing Book VI of WotSQ, since the original author had withdrawn. I agreed right away. There really was nothing more to it on my end.

As for input from Phil and RAS, I inherited some broad plot points that had been established long ago during the marathon sessions during which the series was "scripted." But understand that those those plot points were VERY broad, so there is enough room in getting from point A to B that I will be able to elbow out some space of my own. Phil and Bob also provided specific comments to my outline for "Resurrection," and those comments were very helpful and will make for a better book (which is what good editors do; and they are that).

I'm quite excited about the book; I think and hope that you'll enjoy it. The WotSQ characters are quite an interesting crew to write. Thankfully, the previous authors in the series did such a nice job with characterization that it was easy to jump right in.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  05:56:15  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,in your mind.What is going to be your biggest challenge in finishing WoTSQ???I think this is pretty big.You will already have characters that have been handled by five different authors.Not to mention a story line.Also have you ever written about drow?Not that it matters.Seeing how great of a job you did with Cale and Riven.I;m sure the darkside comes natural to you..So I don't think that will be a problem.So what will be your biggest challenge???

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  08:27:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paul,in your mind.What is going to be your biggest challenge in finishing WoTSQ???I think this is pretty big.You will already have characters that have been handled by five different authors.Not to mention a story line.Also have you ever written about drow?Not that it matters.Seeing how great of a job you did with Cale and Riven.I;m sure the darkside comes natural to you..So I don't think that will be a problem.So what will be your biggest challenge???

On this point, to date with the current WotSQ novels, I have been amazed at how oustandingly consistant the personalities of Pharaun, Ryld et al have been carried across between different authors. A excellent job which must be quite difficult to do given different individual writing styles.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 04 Mar 2004 08:28:25
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  18:04:30  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ved,

I needed to do two things with this book: First, I needed to satisfactorily resolve all of the plotlines and subplotlines advanced in the earlier books in the series; and Second, I needed to create a book, and a plot, that is bigger and more interesting than the simple resolution of previous plot and subplot threads. In other words, I need to tell an interesting story in its own right, that also happens to resolve the various issues raised in the previous books. Creating that storyline was a challenge. I think it's there, though.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  18:09:09  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings mr.Kemp

i just wanted to let you know, i`ve just finised twilight falling, and i must say; i have read every realms book ever, but this is on my top five! great work man! you just keep writing those great books, and i`ll read`em! keep up the excellent work!

later -Stig-
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  06:34:28  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul well met and quick question...

Having read a few of your books and Erevis being the most recent, I noticed a wonderfully darker tone and subtext in your style. Have you per chance written gothic horror or horror books before?

To you if you had to one define your style, how would you describe it and secondly, what to you makes up good a "dark" yet compelling style of story?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  22:04:35  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Have you per chance written gothic horror or horror books before?

To you if you had to one define your style, how would you describe it and secondly, what to you makes up good a "dark" yet compelling style of story?

Bruce,

In order:

1. I have never written any horror -- I'm "allswordandsorcery, allthetime, baby.

2. Defining a style in one word is hard, but here you go: "Godsmack." Do you know the group? One of their older songs, "Voodoo," elicits in me the kind of mood I try to set with my books.

3. Any story, dark or otherwise, is good IMO when it has a compelling plot, skillful pacing, interesting characters, crisp, evocative prose, and a satisfying conclusion. How's that suit you?

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Feiht
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  05:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Feiht's Homepage Send Feiht a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just noticed in The Rage that Resurrection has been moved from January 2005 to April 2005, which is understandable with you getting a late start on the book. How is the book coming?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  08:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Feiht

I just noticed in The Rage that Resurrection has been moved from January 2005 to April 2005, which is understandable with you getting a late start on the book. How is the book coming?

NNOOoooooooooooooooo!! Write faster, write faster

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  13:36:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Feiht

The book is coming along very nicely.

As for the April date, keep in mind that release dates can sometimes change for the better.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 15 Apr 2004 13:40:24
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  16:11:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for the April date, keep in mind that release dates can sometimes change for the better.
Paul

Was the initial pushing back of the release date because of the author change or another factor?

Thanks again for the update. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to this work and Cale's next novel this summer.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Thanks again for the update. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to this work and Cale's next novel this summer.

Oh boy, youre not wrong there! Resurrection and Dawn of Night are right up there on my "drool list"!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  03:24:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heads up to all Paul S Kemp fans, Dawn of Night (The Erevis Cale Trilogy, Book II) is being listed as ships within 2-3 days by one of the online book giants. Thus, it should be making its way to local stores, hopefully, within the next week or so.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  19:29:22  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read Dawn of Night and really enjoyed it. I just want to let you know how frustrating the wait is between books given the engaging storyline and the wonderful cliff-hangers you've left us with in both books.

You really did a fantastic job conveying the mood of Skullport. What Elaine's managed to do for Waterdeep, you've managed to do for its seamy underbelly.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  21:46:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul Kemp,

Here is a thread where the latest Erevis Cale book is being discussed by some scribes. Thanks for an entertaining read.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000