Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The 2E to 3E Map scale difference?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  16:11:05  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I remember reading somewhere the ratio of the scale of 2E Realms map compared to the 3E Realms map. The 2E one was bigger, it had more miles of land between sites whereas things were more compressed in 3e.

So does anyone know what the ratio was? Or percentage? I want to scale at 2E scale using 3E maps.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  17:24:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

I remember reading somewhere the ratio of the scale of 2E Realms map compared to the 3E Realms map. The 2E one was bigger, it had more miles of land between sites whereas things were more compressed in 3e.

So does anyone know what the ratio was? Or percentage? I want to scale at 2E scale using 3E maps.

I don't think they ever said... I think they chopped out the (not always entirely) empty areas and moved everything else over... So it wasn't an overall shrinkage as much as 50 miles removed here, 100 miles removed over there...

The best way to try to gauge the differences would be to take the 2E map, measure the difference between two points, and then do the same on the 3E map.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  18:17:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's much more compression and distortion in the outer parts of the map than in the centre (the Heartlands).
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  20:23:04  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They didn't exactly shrink it proportionally, they skewed it (like in Photoshop.) They took a square and stretched it to a rhombus shape. This made some things come closer.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000