Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Homonculi
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  00:34:39  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Homonculi - why don't we see more of these in the Realms? Is it easier to just get familiars? Or is it something more about the cost or psychology of creating one?

I can't remember the last time I saw one in a novel or adventure, or even available in the rules as an option. Were they ever implemented in 4E rules as a ritual or magical-alchemical process?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  00:48:30  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the Princes of Shade, the good one, had a pair of Homonluci.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  00:50:26  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

One of the Princes of Shade, the good one, had a pair of Homonluci.

Oh, that's right.

For some reason, they always seem like such a rare thing.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  00:54:02  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventure Maggoth's Castle showcased a mage that had multiple Homonculi, and were slightly more powerful when another spell (which varied) was incorporated into the creation formula.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  01:01:26  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

The adventure Maggoth's Castle showcased a mage that had multiple Homonculi, and were slightly more powerful when another spell (which varied) was incorporated into the creation formula.

I hadn't heard of this adventure - thanks!

I thought it might be interesting to design an adventure for my current players where they could find some homonculi, and perhaps a magical formula that I could make available as treasure for our warlock and wizard players. The only thing I've been able to think of was that old Sinbad movie with Tom Baker playing the villain - which is a great movie, but it's sort of debatable whether it's an imp or a homonculus.

EDIT: turns out my mom had this in a box of old Realms material: Maddgoth's castle. Looks like maybe a 2E add-on to Undermountain, by Steven Schend, very cool!

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 18 Nov 2015 01:13:28
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  02:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

I hadn't heard of this adventure - thanks!

I thought it might be interesting to design an adventure for my current players where they could find some homonculi, and perhaps a magical formula that I could make available as treasure for our warlock and wizard players. The only thing I've been able to think of was that old Sinbad movie with Tom Baker playing the villain - which is a great movie, but it's sort of debatable whether it's an imp or a homonculus.

EDIT: turns out my mom had this in a box of old Realms material: Maddgoth's castle. Looks like maybe a 2E add-on to Undermountain, by Steven Schend, very cool!

I believe there where a Trilogy of modules, there was another one called Lost something and I believe the last one involved Halaster.....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  02:41:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, The Lost Level, Maddgoth's Castle and Stardock - all by Steven Schend and lots of fun.

There is also a homonculus recipe in Ed's "Pages From the Mages" compilation in the book Briel's Book of Shadows.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1487 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  03:41:32  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're playing a necromancer, a slaymate is a far better option. Creepy as hell, but effective.

Otherwise I don't really recall any personal benefit conferred by the Improved Familiar feat that would make regular familiars redundant, which explains the lack of homunculi.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  05:36:33  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yep, The Lost Level, Maddgoth's Castle and Stardock - all by Steven Schend and lots of fun.

There is also a homonculus recipe in Ed's "Pages From the Mages" compilation in the book Briel's Book of Shadows.

Found all of these in the stash! I never realized they collated the Pages from the Mages - it's terrific they did, that column was one of my favorites.

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

If you're playing a necromancer, a slaymate is a far better option. Creepy as hell, but effective.

Otherwise I don't really recall any personal benefit conferred by the Improved Familiar feat that would make regular familiars redundant, which explains the lack of homunculi.

For sure, this is something I might do as a player (I'm a die-hard fan of Myrkul, so we never got rid of him). And this is an extremely creepy but fun idea. But I'm DMing this time around, and I'm pretty sure the Wizard will be NG elf and the Warlock will be straight-up N elf with a dark fey-type pact (I think that's what they wanted). Assuming I can figure all this out rule-wise, we're rolling a group of new lvl 1s for a new homebrew campaign this coming weekend.

I think I may tweak Ed's recipe for a homonculus, maybe put a strong Calimshan theme into it, and have it be something one or both could work toward if they're into it. If not, they could sell it for some good coin.

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 19 Nov 2015 05:47:45
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  06:36:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you've never seen the Pages From The Mages book before, then you probably also have missed Prayers From The Faithful as well. Worth a look.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  23:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 Eberron had multiple different homunculi. Given their relative importance to the Artificer... maybe there's a 4E update to them?

It's not FR, but they'd be easily imported.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  05:51:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have also been many different magical servants written up over the years, such as tabi, manikins, variations on the unseen servant concept, etc.
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  20:12:53  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in the adventure "Doom of Daggerdale" the Wizard Calderan, an ancestor of Randall Morn, has a Homonculi familiar. He plays a short part in the adventure, although it is quite forgettable.

As to the answer of your question, I do not know. Imps of some sort seem to be the default evil Wizard familiar.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000