Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragonlance setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2015 :  11:20:07  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is the DL setting on Toril? Or is it another planet?
Thanks!

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2015 :  12:24:00  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DragonLance setting is on Krynn. Dragon Lance is an entirely different setting with it own set of information and books although I'm sure you can find a few examples of characters from one setting making an appearance in the other.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2015 :  03:12:57  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best place to start if you are new to Dragonlance is with the original Margaret W. & Tracy H. novels. It is the setting they created, as the Forgotten Realms are the setting Ed created and Greyhawk the setting Gary created. They all have some elements and flavor that blend but are also all as distinctive as the minds they came from.

All three worlds/settings were brought together in Ed's "the Wizard's Three" articles. In these, Elminster would visit with Mordenkainen and Dalamar and they'd exchange spells and lore. Ed would eavesdrop and then tell us the tale.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2015 :  21:34:17  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are krynn and toril in the same 'universe' as each other.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2015 :  21:42:33  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

In TSR metaplot/canon after Spelljammer was released? Yes. Both worlds are part of the same Prime Material Plane, but are contained in separate crystal spheres. Travel between them is possible by means of sppelljammers(magical spacecraft).

But of course the answer really depends on what you want for your campaign, if you are the DM.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2015 :  21:43:57  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Best place to start if you are new to Dragonlance is with the original Margaret W. & Tracy H. novels. It is the setting they created, as the Forgotten Realms are the setting Ed created and Greyhawk the setting Gary created. They all have some elements and flavor that blend but are also all as distinctive as the minds they came from.

All three worlds/settings were brought together in Ed's "the Wizard's Three" articles. In these, Elminster would visit with Mordenkainen and Dalamar and they'd exchange spells and lore. Ed would eavesdrop and then tell us the tale.

I believe a GH /FR link is also established in The Magister, as a way of explaining why spells named after Orrthian wizards are also found in FR spell books.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2015 :  22:15:26  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic

quote:
Originally posted by swifty

In TSR metaplot/canon after Spelljammer was released? Yes. Both worlds are part of the same Prime Material Plane, but are contained in separate crystal spheres. Travel between them is possible by means of sppelljammers(magical spacecraft).

But of course the answer really depends on what you want for your campaign, if you are the DM.

If you ignore spelljammer in your campaign, the older explanation was parallel Prime Material planes... kinda like the layers of the abyss. I liked spelljammer, but either works fine. A lot of people pretty much ignore spelljammer altogether because its inclusion create some pretty glaring plot wholes in some of the RSA novels (like, even if Shar destroys this one planet when there are more to go just in this one sphere - that doesn't sound like too major of a God does it?)

So you get the lingo, a Crystal Sphere is basically a solar system in a glass globe (not really glass, but whatever). These spheres have multiple worlds and some have multiple stars, but they are not like whole galaxies by any stretch of the imagination.

In Realmspace (the crystal sphere of the forgotten realms) there are eight planets: Anadia, Coliar, Toril (the world of the Forgotten Realms and Al'Qadim), Karpri, Chandos, Glyth, Garden, and H'Catha. I can't remember if they all have inhabitants, but most are at least.
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2015 :  00:19:05  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think SJ is cool, but I personally lean towards Alternate Primes, as in Manual of the Planes.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  04:42:36  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glyth had illithad inhabitants I think.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  16:05:34  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So you get the lingo, a Crystal Sphere is basically a solar system in a glass globe (not really glass, but whatever). These spheres have multiple worlds and some have multiple stars, but they are not like whole galaxies by any stretch of the imagination.

I've read somewhere in a Planescape source that Crystal Spheres can contain a single planet, a solar system, a galaxy, or even one entire universe. Don't recall this source, though. We also have different system configurations in Crystal Spheres, like Oerth's, where the planet is the center of the system.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  02:30:00  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically, the crystal spheres come from the old idea that the sky is a dome overhead - the constellations are just points of light on the inside of the sphere. I've never heard of a crystal sphere with more than a couple stars, but I guess anything you want can go inside one since there are really no rules that govern their creation.

In theory the first crystal sphere was the Astromundi cluster - though I've learned to take all claims of this is how things began in D&D with a grain of salt because whoever has the next publication might change that :P
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  02:42:38  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Glyth had illithad inhabitants I think.

The sun is called the sun, and has creatures from the elemental plane of fire.

Anadia has large populations of halflings and umber hulks

Coliar is a gas giant that is home to "avian life" and reptiles including the unique "advanced" air dragons

Karpri has aquatic elves and giant insects

Chandos has humans dwarves and orcs

Glyth does have mind flayers as well as "hundreds of humanoid races"

Garden has Yggdrasil's child - a giant planet binding plant - and a dozen or so moons with various inhabitants

H'Catha has beholders

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2015 :  02:57:42  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To bring it back to talking about Krynn, Krynnspace has a sun, and 6 planets.

The first planet is Sirion "an inert fire body" The god Sirion is said to live in its center. It is populated by plasmen and elemental fire creatures.

Second is Reorx, inhabited by dwarves gnomes, humans and mindflayers and - you guessed it - the god Reorx

Next comes Krynn, with each of its 3 moons home to a god-cousin-of-magic

4th is Chislev, and it is actually one of that god's avatars. That's right, the whole planet. there are also humans and demihumans to be found in the jungles here.

the 5th planet is Zivilyn - a gass giant with continent size boulders inside where some random folks are pretty much stranded. It also has 12 populated moons.

there is also Nehzmyth, which is like a partially invisible comet that travels in and through dark clouds and no one who goes there ever returns.

Next come the Stellar Islands - a cluster of asteroids. Inhabited by giff, dracons, stellar giants, gnomes and grommam

Then come the black clouds - (the dark clouds Nehzmyth goes through) - which are apparently form from evil souls!!!! Scary stuff, I know.
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  02:59:50  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In theory the first crystal sphere was the Astromundi cluster - though I've learned to take all claims of this is how things began in D&D with a grain of salt because whoever has the next publication might change that :P

I don't think Astromundi was intended to be the *first* sphere, although it was intended to be the original home of the illithids (which of course have multiple origin stories in various editions and products). Most other Spelljammer products were careful not to lay out origin claims for various standard D&D creatures (elves, dwarves, goblinoids, dragons, etc.). The 2nd Edition product The Illithiad tried to clean up some of the multiple origins of the mind flayers (with subjective success, of course).

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  05:15:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't remember the thing about the Astromundi Cluster being the first sphere, either... But that could be because I try very hard to never think about that gods-awful product, which is second only to Krynnspace in my list of Worst D&D Products.

Spelljammer was my first love of D&D settings, and my username comes from there -- but I'll be the first to admit that it had some hit-or-miss moments, and some of those misses were huge misses indeed.

(Krynnspace also had the worst NPC ever conceived of: Little BigGnome. I still shudder to think of that one)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Nov 2015 05:18:38
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2015 :  02:28:48  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guarantee - if you read it, it is printed out in black and white - Astromundi is the oldest crystal sphere; the first.

Personally I hate whenever any product - spelljammer, planescape, the various books about gods - even suggest how something was started in the ancient past. It is both unimportant and instantly contradictory to another such source.

My personal way of getting around all this stuff is the idea of relative space and time - it does not work the same everywhere, you know. :)
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2016 :  20:55:49  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guarantee - if you read it, it is printed out in black and white - Astromundi is the oldest crystal sphere; the first.

Personally I hate whenever any product - spelljammer, planescape, the various books about gods - even suggest how something was started in the ancient past. It is both unimportant and instantly contradictory to another such source.

Why? The provincial Clueless almost always claim to be the center of the Multiverse.
And as a rule if you believe without a grain of salt the local illithids, of all critters, you deserve what you are likely to get for this.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000