Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Elven extinction?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  17:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm seriously worried about elven population on Faerun.
Long time ago they freed Faerun from the tyranny of dragons and giants and now they are getting chased out from everywhere.
There have been attacks to Evereska and Evermeet, and many elven forests are cut down by humans.
Is there a safe place for elves?
And I heard that on the attack on Evermeet the High Magic of elves was lost.
Is this true?

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  18:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nay, High Magic 'twas not lost, Narad.

Speaking of which, the Retreat has ended so many elves are coming back to Faerūn. Also, there is a new elven haven, namely Dawntree, as detailed on the WotC website, written by Ed Greenwood.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  19:19:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord is right. About Dawntree, it was created by three elves sitting around in a tavern in Waterdeep. Lol. See what a little alcohol can do for you?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  22:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Shadowlord is right. About Dawntree, it was created by three elves sitting around in a tavern in Waterdeep. Lol. See what a little alcohol can do for you?

Ack! Dawntree came to nothing and the Realmslore article is where it ends

Lets see what happens in the Year of the Risen Elfkin though

Yet again, I ask......... what of the Tree of Life?! Anybody?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  00:38:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad, I believe that the question of the Tree of Life is one of those universal questions that, if and when you discover the answer, will either, bless you with great knowledge, or cause you to go insane...either way, you will then know...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  04:34:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Lets see what happens in the Year of the Risen Elfkin though

Lots and lots of elves running around making cookies in trees.

The elves aren't going to face extinction. They have been knocked down by some mighty authors, I mean forces, but they will be back and with a vengeance.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  05:17:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The elves are an integral part of the Realms. It seems highly unlikely that both FR game designers, and FR authors would remove such a critical aspect of the core Realms. Without the elves, the Realms would lose a great deal of flavour (not to mention a great number of fans as well), and the setting would most likely. . . no, such a thing would never happen. Let us leave it at that...

Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  15:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean a complete extinction, just the direction that elven population is going.

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Nay, High Magic 'twas not lost, Narad.

Speaking of which, the Retreat has ended so many elves are coming back to Faerūn. Also, there is a new elven haven, namely Dawntree, as detailed on the WotC website, written by Ed Greenwood.

I saw the Lost High Magic-thing on a FR-timeline, I just wanted to be sure.
And the Retreat has ended? Why?

quote:

Elves mixed with alcohol...

Edited by - Narad Bladesinger on 17 Mar 2004 16:06:13
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  21:11:39  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The retreat has ended because Wizards wanted to remove any feeling of copying Lotr where the elves also went in retreat to the land to the west. That's what I think anyway.

Storywise I think the retreat has ended because the elves realised that they couldn't just turn a blind eye to what was happening in Faerun and live out their lives in peace and harmony on Evermeet. That place was supposed to be safe until Drow attacked, so it has been proven otherwise. Also I think the elves aren't particularly fond of the Drow incursion in Cormanthyr and Myth Drannor.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."

Edited by - Cherrn on 17 Mar 2004 21:12:14
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  03:46:23  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent summary Cherrn. The Retreat being over definitely should liven things up even more in Faerun. I hope Richard Baker's new novel in August begins to show this possibility.
Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  14:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cherrn

The retreat has ended because Wizards wanted to remove any feeling of copying Lotr where the elves also went in retreat to the land to the west. That's what I think anyway.

Storywise I think the retreat has ended because the elves realised that they couldn't just turn a blind eye to what was happening in Faerun and live out their lives in peace and harmony on Evermeet. That place was supposed to be safe until Drow attacked, so it has been proven otherwise. Also I think the elves aren't particularly fond of the Drow incursion in Cormanthyr and Myth Drannor.

Good. I'm looking forward seeing the elven population grow on Faerun.
Perhaps someday Comanthor will be fully in their control. But I don't think they'll be willing to play with mythals again...
But where do you think elves will concentrate on? Cormanthor? High forest?There aren't very many places to go to(of course I might be wrong, I'm not a loremaster)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  14:53:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elves will never return to Cormanthyr, Sembia's current foreign policy would make such a move difficult at best, and deadly at worst. Evereska is also hardly a consideration anymore, and the realm of the High Forest hasn't seen extensive Elven activity since the early days of Athalantar.

Maybe then, it's time for the elves to create a new home. I guess if all else fails, they could just move in with the Star Elves...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  16:06:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Maybe then, it's time for the elves to create a new home. I guess if all else fails, they could just move in with the Star Elves...

Im not even gonna mention the Tree of Life again!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  16:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too late . . . you just did.

You know, DMs could add in elven colonization attempts on those lands that are shaded out on the world map . . . that would be an interesting story.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  16:35:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Do they have to bring their own light bulbs if they move in?
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  20:35:18  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No the star elves will have plenty attached to their forehead

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  04:36:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Too late . . . you just did.

You know, DMs could add in elven colonization attempts on those lands that are shaded out on the world map . . . that would be an interesting story.

That's definitely a consideration, but then I don't think there would be a lot of areas neighbouring those shaded regions that would appreciate a mass migration of Elves right next-door, so to speak.

Also, the southern and eastern Realms appear to have a thriving prejudice against nearly all elves, which would make many colonisation efforts in those areas difficult.

Go to Top of Page

Narad Bladesinger
Learned Scribe

Finland
170 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  14:19:02  Show Profile  Visit Narad Bladesinger's Homepage Send Narad Bladesinger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's this all about the tree of life?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  14:32:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be best if we all let Rad field this question...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  14:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Narad Bladesinger

Thanks Sage Although I dont have my tomes to hand at the moment, so forgive the inaccuracies and spellings... but basically (SPOILERS FOR EVERMEET:ISLAND OF ELVES).......

Prince Lamauril(sp?), of the elven royal family of Evermeet, was given a small tree (imagine a bonzai) upon the decline of Evermeet, this tree (the Tree of Life) was indeed the lifesource of the island. It was given to him and then told to flee Evermeet and return to Faerun. Planting the tree would spread its lifeforce into the land and make a new settlement for the elves. The tree has the power to turn the land, thus transforming an arctic terrain into lush green forests etc.

Thats the last that was heard....I have constantly wanted to know the status of the mission and location of the tree. If it has yet taken root and begun to transform the land etc. Ed Greenwood recently teased about the outcome, but sounds like it will be a long time until we hear anything.

Apologies again for not remembering more accurate details, maybe another scribe (our resident elven lore expert, Arion Elenim perhaps) could fill in the gaps.

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 19 Mar 2004 15:01:37
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  21:29:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
SPOILERS FOR EVERMEET:ISLAND OF ELVES).......

Thats the last that was heard....I have constantly wanted to know the status of the mission and location of the tree. If it has yet taken root and begun to transform the land etc. Ed Greenwood recently teased about the outcome, but sounds like it will be a long time until we hear anything.

I vaguely recall, over a year, maybe two years ago that on the FR Mailing list, Richard Baker posted a message asking for input on what a new novel trilogy focusing on the elves should include. One of the big things I screamed for was this, an update on Lamruil's new kingdom. I'm hoping that Ed's tease means that in some way, shape or form we will get some idea on what's happening with Lamuril's new realm in Richard Baker's upcoming trilogy.

I'll take anything, even two elves meeting each other.

Elf #1: Hi, haven't seen you in awhile.

Elf #2: Yes, I was up north helping with the new kingdom. Boy, does Prince Lamruil have his hands full. Anyway....

Something...anything, two lines.....is that asking for much?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  08:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC official: "Yes, it is. We can't mention anything about it until we've worked out at least ten feats and three PrCs regarding the new kingdom . . . ."

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  09:42:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, WotC should simply have a web banner in place on their website that states their current 'product development policy', explaining much of what the Bookwyrm just said.

It's not what we like to hear, but at least we'd know either way...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  15:53:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

WotC official: "Yes, it is. We can't mention anything about it until we've worked out at least ten feats and three PrCs regarding the new kingdom . . . ."

You know what's sad? I honestly believe when they get around to explaining the new kingdom, that is what they will first concentrate on. "Okay, what three prestige classes are we going to make for this new kingdom?"

Oh, wait, we forgot step number one....a new elf race first will be created, then the prestige classes, then the feats.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  15:54:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, WotC should simply have a web banner in place on their website that states their current 'product development policy', explaining much of what the Bookwyrm just said.

The banner idea made me picture an advertisement block in the middle of novels whenever a new feat is shown in the writing.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  16:11:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either that, or some kind of new spell...

Now that is a disturbing thought which I hope will never become a reality...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  16:32:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now that is a disturbing thought which I hope will never become a reality...

I can picture it now:

Drizzt raised his scimitars in front of him. The orcs exchanged fearful glances and then turned, fleeing back into the woods.

New Feat

Scimitar Shock and Awe

You can cause opponents to turn in fear and run thanks to your mighty skill with the scimitar.

And then after the rest of the feat was listed out, we'd get back to the novel.

Drizzt chased after the orcs...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  17:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Narad Bladesinger

Thanks Sage Although I dont have my tomes to hand at the moment, so forgive the inaccuracies and spellings... but basically (SPOILERS FOR EVERMEET:ISLAND OF ELVES).......

Prince Lamauril(sp?), of the elven royal family of Evermeet, was given a small tree (imagine a bonzai) upon the decline of Evermeet, this tree (the Tree of Life) was indeed the lifesource of the island. It was given to him and then told to flee Evermeet and return to Faerun. Planting the tree would spread its lifeforce into the land and make a new settlement for the elves. The tree has the power to turn the land, thus transforming an arctic terrain into lush green forests etc.

Apologies again for not remembering more accurate details, maybe another scribe (our resident elven lore expert, Arion Elenim perhaps) could fill in the gaps.

Rad, a minor edit, if you will. 'Tis called the "Tree of Souls." Refer to page 487 of Evermeet: Island of Elves, paperback edition. The Tree of Life came from Baldur's Gate II. And the name is "Prince Lamruil." Also refer to Evermeet: Island of Elves, same page.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 21 Mar 2004 03:26:08
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:03:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Rad, a minor edit, if you will. 'Tis called the "Tree of Souls." Refer to page 487 of Evermeet: Island of Elves. The Tree of Life came from Baldur's Gate II. And the name is "Prince Lamruil." Also refer to Evermeet: Island of Elves, same page.

A minor edit. If that's the paperback edition, as I suspect, please make sure you mention that in your reference. Otherwise, it might confuse some of us that have it in hardback.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  03:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, right then. Consider the post edited already...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  09:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rad, a minor edit, if you will. 'Tis called the "Tree of Souls." Refer to page 487 of Evermeet: Island of Elves, paperback edition. The Tree of Life came from Baldur's Gate II. And the name is "Prince Lamruil." Also refer to Evermeet: Island of Elves, same page.

Ack, maybe i need to buy a second copy of the Elven Bible to keep at work

Thanks for the corrections Shadowlord, I surprised that nobody corrected me previously, even Ed, when I kept harping on about the Tree of Life, instead of Souls!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000