Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 What happened in the Sword Coast after Bhaalspawn?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hammer Floyd
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  04:11:19  Show Profile  Visit Hammer Floyd's Homepage Send Hammer Floyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey guys. I've got something you fellas may be interested in and a few questions.

I'm a member on the SomethingAwful forums and one of the subforums there is the "Lets Play" subforum. Basically, a member plays through a game and keeps a videoscreenshot journal sorta thing as they go through it. It's basically geeks watching geeks play games.

Recently, I've been doing one on Baldur's Gate #1. No mods installed (other than the expansion, but I'm not doing it). I'm right up to the end now and I've got a few questions.

Here's the link of the thread for reference: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2725397

If you decide to go through it, you'll quickly discover that I'm hardly an expert in regards to the Forgotten Realms. In fact: If it's not right in front of my face in the game, I'd probably miss it.

Now to finish it off, I'd like to do some sort of Epilogue to wrap things up. For some of the minor characters, I'll be taking poetic lisence and just making up what happened after my character kicks Sarevok's ass, but there are a few people who read my thread who actually know a bit about the Forgotten Realms. As a result: There are a few things that I DONT want to take poetic lisence with.

So basically: My question is simple:

What happened to...
- Elminster
- Drizzt
- Candlekeep
- Friendly Arm Inn
- Baldur's Gate Theives Guild

...after Baldur's Gate #1. I dont need 18 pages of well-written repartee. Just enough for a caption of a screenshot basically. I'm basically just trying to make sure that my poetic lisence doesn't completely shit on anything which "really" happened.

Thanks for your help guys!

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  11:19:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off - a warm and friendly welcome to the keep, Hammer Floyd!

Let me first make some clarifications here: all video/PC games are not considered 'canon' - that means that whatever happens in any computer games is not part of the 'lore' of the Realms per se. This does not entirely hold true for 'Baldurs Gate' Game.

After the huge success of the game everyone invested in the Realms recalled those events. In order to implement them into the 'official Realmslore' Philip Athans has charged with writing a novel about the games events (see here). Therefore, the novel by Athans DID implements some 'game-lore' into the 'Realms canon lore'. That means for you to be absolutelly correct with whatever you write in your Epilogue about the characters and locations in question you'd have to know what this novel sais about them.

I have not read this novel (and rumors exist that it is not a very good read either). However, I believe that you are rather free in whatever you write, as all those NPCs you mentioned, IIRC, are featured in the game as 'chance appearences' only. AS such I doubt that they feature in the novel as well. Similar thing holds true for the places, I'd say.

But you might have to get a scribe to comment on this who has actually read the novel in question...

Good luck with your project and I hope my answer helps you somewhat with it.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Hammer Floyd
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  03:14:36  Show Profile  Visit Hammer Floyd's Homepage Send Hammer Floyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.

I figured that most of it would basically cease to exist in that most of those placespeople dont get a mention outside BG. However, for some (EG: Elminster, Drizzt) I'm assuming went on to do other things. I thought Elminster was kinda in retirement, but I dont know about Drizzt. I was going to say that Candlekeep eventually became the next Ulcaster: A place of great learning which became "a common dungeon" because all of the inhabitants were killed by the dopplegangers (or at least, that's what I'll claim). So yeah, if there's anything else ElminsterDrizzt did after Baldur's Gate 1 that I should know about, let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  15:01:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to lore the book (and as such that of the events of the game) takes place in the Year of the Banner, 1368 DR (Dale Reckoning). You might want to check out the index of this time over at the FR Library (The link to the year 1368 DR is right here!).

During this time the Drizzt-novel 'Spine of the World' takes place (timeframe 1365-1369 DR). IIRC Drizzt was out adventuring, spending a lot of time sailing the Sword Coast with Capt. Deudermont. It must be during one of those 'Land visits' that the 'player' runs into him and his group during the game.

About Elminster I cannot say much as he is a powerful wizard and travels far and wide and extensively across entire Faerun in the blink of an eye. He might appear in any of the books that also discribe events of the Year 1368 DR (which are many; see the link to the FR Library of that year above).

About Candlekeep: it was back than and still is the citadel of learning!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 22 Jun 2008 15:04:21
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  00:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer Floyd

What happened to...
- Elminster
- Drizzt
- Candlekeep
- Friendly Arm Inn
- Baldur's Gate Theives Guild

All of the above are still much as they appeared in BG1.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000