Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Do you think Ed is happy with the current state?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  06:48:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do you think Ed Greenwood is happy with the current state of the Realms? I see all the mindless destruction of the Realms just for the "kewl" factor and I ask myself- "Is Ed Greenwood happy about the current state of the place and all the decisions so far?"

I remember hearing about Ed being excited about the new Realms but I'm still waiting to see this excitement. So far I'm only seeing things that just make me cringe to be honest.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  09:45:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed is a generous soul and while the published Realms isn't exactly "his" Realms, he has taken and continues to take great joy in the fact that the Realms is now available to everyone. As he has said many times, the Realms now has the capacity to surprise him and he loves nothing better than to read realmslore that had been lovingly crafted by friends and fans. Is Ed happy? Of course he is. You only have to meet him to know what a wonderful, charismatic, caring and enthusiastic individual he is. He has shared the child of his imagination with the world through TSR/WotC - that fact makes him happy everyday.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 16 Oct 2015 09:46:12
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  14:00:35  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed is a generous soul and while the published Realms isn't exactly "his" Realms, he has taken and continues to take great joy in the fact that the Realms is now available to everyone. As he has said many times, the Realms now has the capacity to surprise him and he loves nothing better than to read realmslore that had been lovingly crafted by friends and fans. Is Ed happy? Of course he is. You only have to meet him to know what a wonderful, charismatic, caring and enthusiastic individual he is. He has shared the child of his imagination with the world through TSR/WotC - that fact makes him happy everyday.

-- George Krashos

That sounds a lot like something you hear from your nana when you ask her how well you play football and she tells you she's happy no matter how well you play.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  14:09:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul
That sounds a lot like something you hear from your nana when you ask her how well you play football and she tells you she's happy no matter how well you play.

The fact remains though - nan is happy.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  14:30:24  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

.. the Realms now has the capacity to surprise him....

Boy will he be surprised to find out he's been wrong about Myth Drannor this entire time, that it was an empire of pure evil. Also he'll undoubtedly be surprised to learn that the Zhentarim were the "white hats" the entire time.

Just kidding of course. While Ed has outwardly displayed nearly endless patience with some of the directions TSR and WoTC have moved the Realms in, and he isn't the kind of guy to disparage other peoples' work, I really wonder what he'd say out of earshot with a few pints in him.
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  14:58:01  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just kidding of course. While Ed has outwardly displayed nearly endless patience with some of the directions TSR and WoTC have moved the Realms in, and he isn't the kind of guy to disparage other peoples' work, I really wonder what he'd say out of earshot with a few pints in him.

"Guysh...I really, really wanna shave thish beard...I hate thish thing...sherioushly...beardsh shuck...OOohh, yesh another beer shoundsh exshellent...*burp*..."

Something like that I'd wager.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 16 Oct 2015 14:59:21
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  15:31:03  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I doubt he's happy with how things have turned out, but he's too polite to say so.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  15:34:27  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know he still writes novels but I wonder if he finds it difficult, not ability but feelings, to write the novels if it is something he isn't a fan of.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  15:51:59  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish he'd be allowed to write more novels set in the OGB era pre-Time of Troubles; it's canon and it's his version of the Realms more or less. Not that I loved the writing of the "Knights of Eveningstar" trilogy BUT I love that time setting so much!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  16:11:51  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

I wish he'd be allowed to write more novels set in the OGB era pre-Time of Troubles; it's canon and it's his version of the Realms more or less. Not that I loved the writing of the "Knights of Eveningstar" trilogy BUT I love that time setting so much!

I wish we would get more novels set during different times as well. The mostly linear novel line could use some spicing up.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  18:30:20  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, another recurrent thread to bash the Forgotten Realms.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Gurgle Gobblespit
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  19:40:55  Show Profile Send Gurgle Gobblespit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

Sounds like a Plan. Let's all try to meet him at the next GenCon, then invite him into one of those GenCon-endorsed pubs across the street from the Con… and ply him with plenty of booze.

Edited by - Gurgle Gobblespit on 16 Oct 2015 19:42:30
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  19:47:15  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Well if the current Realms didn't suck so bad then we could talk about nice things.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  19:52:43  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well if the current Realms didn't suck so bad then we could talk about nice things.

Then keep your complaints in a single scroll instead of constantly making new ones with a slightly different spin just so you can regurgitate the same old whining.

It's annoying to come to candlekeep to check out new posts and see yet another one of your complaint topics.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  20:36:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the question about whether or not Ed is happy with the current state of the Realms is a valid one, and not one based on complaining. Ed created the Realms; of course he has a vested interest in the setting and what happens to it.

Like any of us, Ed undoubtedly likes some things better than others, and has his own thoughts on the current rate of publishing... Wanting to know what he thinks is not complaining, just like asking George Lucas what he thinks of Episode VII is not the same as saying that the prequels sucked.

I get that not everyone is happy with how things are going, and I get that there has been a lot of complaining in the past. But I also think we need to show a little more respect to each other, and not immediately jump on others for even a perception of negativity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  22:29:05  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just simply would like to know how happy Ed is with the current direction the Realms is going. When 5th edition was coming out, I remember seeing something about Ed being excited about what was going to happen with the Realms and I would like to know if that excitement still exists.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2015 :  23:54:44  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it matter?

What difference would it really make, either way?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  00:28:48  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is he happy? I think not, can he do anything about it? NO!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  00:29:31  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Then keep your complaints in a single scroll instead of constantly making new ones with a slightly different spin just so you can regurgitate the same old whining.

It's annoying to come to candlekeep to check out new posts and see yet another one of your complaint topics.

How about you just don't click on them if you don't want to read them and for those who do just leave us to it.

You sound like one of those people who don't want more options because just the thought of them actually being there annoys you when all you have to do is just not buy them.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  00:30:12  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Does it matter?

Actually it does. If it didn't then I wouldn't have made the thread.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  00:33:36  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its like what others have said, he's too polite to criticize other peoples work on the Realms. But honestly I don't think this is the Realms we would getting get if he lead it. I think Mike Mearls and Chris Perkins are just turning Forgotten Realms into their generic D&D dump, stripping out what makes it unique from other settings, and dumping in elements that haven't had anything to do with the classic Realms, like Tiamat cultists and Elemental Evil stuff.

But then again it's hard to say what 5E Realms is, when there are virtually no sourcebooks (not adventure/module books) out for it.

Ideally I wish Paizo would be in charge of developing the Realms. They would undoubtedly make something new and interesting of it without compromising it's identity. That one Dragon Magazine article they made for the Hordelands for example, completely changed it's playability for me personally. Imagine what they could do the rest of the lackluster regions, that have barely been touched upon since the days of TSR.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  00:46:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

(snip) and dumping in elements that haven't had anything to do with the classic Realms, like Tiamat cultists (snip)

Tiamat has had worshipers in the Realms dating back to 2E. Not sure how much more classic you can get.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Oct 2015 00:47:23
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  08:20:14  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Does it matter?

Sure, I get that Ed's opinion is important to you, but I'm just curious why.

I agree with you btw that the current metastory cheese stinks. I'm just curious what it would mean for you, one way or the other.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  15:30:12  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think the question about whether or not Ed is happy with the current state of the Realms is a valid one, and not one based on complaining. Ed created the Realms; of course he has a vested interest in the setting and what happens to it.
Like any of us, Ed undoubtedly likes some things better than others, and has his own thoughts on the current rate of publishing...

Ed is a very nice man. That someone would start to check how far this can be abused... was a matter of time, really.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  22:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Does it matter?

I agree with you btw that the current metastory cheese stinks. I'm just curious what it would mean for you, one way or the other.

Given how much value I've taken from Ed Greenwoods answers to fan questions, or books such as Elminster's Forgotten Realms... I honestly love the setting he created. I do not like what WotC did to it. Thus, I am actually curious as to what he thinks of all those changes as well. Why? Curiosity. Does one need more reason?

I am fairly certain though that even if he completely disliked it, he would not be at liberty to say so - or at least, WotC wouldn't like him to, even if it wasn't specifically forbidden. It's bad press if the creator of your flagship selling is telling people that said flagship setting now sucks in his own eyes, after all.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  22:53:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gurgle Gobblespit

quote:

Sounds like a Plan. Let's all try to meet him at the next GenCon, then invite him into one of those GenCon-endorsed pubs across the street from the Con… and ply him with plenty of booze.

And wenches, don't forget the play pretties...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  22:53:49  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I doubt he's happy with how things have turned out, but he's too polite to say so.

This...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2015 :  23:07:46  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does it matter?

Given how much value I've taken from Ed Greenwoods answers to fan questions, or books such as Elminster's Forgotten Realms... I honestly love the setting he created. I do not like what WotC did to it. Thus, I am actually curious as to what he thinks of all those changes as well. Why? Curiosity. Does one need more reason?

I am fairly certain though that even if he completely disliked it, he would not be at liberty to say so - or at least, WotC wouldn't like him to, even if it wasn't specifically forbidden. It's bad press if the creator of your flagship selling is telling people that said flagship setting now sucks in his own eyes, after all.

It's not even about Ed saying it sucks. If there are things about the current state of the Realms that Ed is not happy with, then I would like to know what those things are and how different he would have handled it.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2015 :  08:41:38  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The metastory, thus far, has been pretty on-par for what generally comes out of the Forgotten Realms. I don't think its particularly bad or good, just meh. I'll hold further judgment until the next book comes out
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2015 :  14:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

There was a video I saw of the authors who wrote the Sundering Novels doing a Q&A where it was more or less acknowledged that alot of 4ed Content had been a mistake and that it handnt been popular with the fan base and that the Sundering would correct or remove some of those more unpopular features 4ed introduced

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2015 :  14:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Boy will he be surprised to find out he's been wrong about Myth Drannor this entire time, that it was an empire of pure evil. Also he'll undoubtedly be surprised to learn that the Zhentarim were the "white hats" the entire time.

Seeing as how the Zhentarim seem to have thrown of the their ties to the Church of Cyric and Bane and their evil wizard overlord Id say the modern Zhentarim have "gone legit" Alignment wise there probably LN with some shady tendencies.

Given this if the Zhentarim where to tie themselves to another deitiy Id say Waukeen would be the best choice in the 5ed era.

It would actually make an interesting campaign where the characters worked for a cell of harper agents run by a corrupt leader who used the unknowing characters to do his dirty work to attack legitimate Zhentarim trade caravans....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page