Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Forgotten Realms Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  04:12:34  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's been a long while since I posted here on a regular basis. I need to get back into it again. So, for starters, I am very lost on the Forgotten Realms setting right now.

When I go to search for new lore regarding FR in 5E...I find myself completely lost. Where do I begin? Why isn't this compiled neatly somewhere? How much and how often are we getting more lore? I take it there won't be a new setting book? I don't quite understand much of anything about the Sundering, was that a "novel only" source? If so, that appears to be alienating those who do not read the novels, which I honestly wished they'd do a "Novel Lore" compilation on their website with (obviously) a spoiler warning for those reading the novels.

I asked a rather handful of questions, I know, I just was expecting something more organized by WotC but...I should've known better.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  04:21:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A (supposedly) CS-like book, including a general and complete overview of the Sundering, will come out in November. Most of the info regarding the Sundering were in the novel series, and in the novels that came after. However, the books only described a narrow part of what happened and changed in the FR, the rest being unknown. Ed clarified on some matters, but that's basically it.

A scribe, Lirdolin, compiled a timeline with the events in the novels: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19630

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  16:48:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
do we even have a title for that book yet?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  16:57:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

do we even have a title for that book yet?

Yes: Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag). Despite the title, it has been said that the book will include an update, with all the changes that the Sundering brought to the FR.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Sep 2015 17:02:39
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  19:57:54  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the prefact of the SCAG: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_Preface_3ms9.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  20:56:17  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mirtek.

I am looking forward to this book.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2015 :  10:34:06  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And we have the ToC:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469772-Here-s-That-SCAG-Table-of-Contents!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2015 :  16:45:25  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Up to five pages on the Realms outside of the Sword Coast; up to twenty pages on gods (including a sidebar on the Mulhorandi pantheon); lots of lore that has appeared in other sources that I bet has been repeated verbatim.

I now have mixed feelings about this tome. I'll still buy it but...I dunno...

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2015 :  20:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Judging from the look of the prefact and the TOC, it looks like the book will resemble Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms. I'm getting more optimistic over SCAG. I wish they would release the Title and Copyright page. I'd love to know who did what, and if any of Under Illefarn Anew was used as source material.

Edited by - Rymac on 02 Oct 2015 21:39:37
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2015 :  10:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I really want from such a work is, basically, Ed's wonderful imagination.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2015 :  21:45:48  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Hmm. Up to five pages on the Realms outside of the Sword Coast; up to twenty pages on gods (including a sidebar on the Mulhorandi pantheon); lots of lore that has appeared in other sources that I bet has been repeated verbatim.

Yeah I really hope this book has some new lore and isn't just repeating the same stuff we already know.

I'm personally interested most by the Island Kingdoms chapter. I hope it refers to Ruathym, Tuern, Gundarlun, the Purple Rocks and the Whalebones, and not the Moonshae Isles which we already know a decent deal about. Those mentioned places have very limited lore. That alone would make me interested in getting this book.

Also the Barbarian Tribes of Faerun section could be quite interesting. Always wondered if there are some interesting barbarian societies beyond the North and Icewind Dale. If you look at the ToC you'll notice Uthgardts have a separate chapter for themselves so it can't refer to them.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2015 :  02:52:54  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for some info. I'll have to check this one out. I hope they speed up the lore release, everything concerning the Realms (or D&D in general) feels agonizingly slow. I am sure that is the model they are experimenting with for now, of course.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2015 :  04:11:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to buy it when it comes out. I want updates as much as anyone.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000