Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Luruar/Silver Marches 5e Question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mcgharst
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  01:13:13  Show Profile Send mcgharst a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I would like to write a story/module in 5e but there is very little in ways of details. I honestly haven't kept up with 4e and 5e as much as I should.

The location I'm favoring is Rivermoot but it could be anywhere along the Rauvin all the way to Sundabar.

So if there are any Faerun history buffs help me with what happened between 3e and 5e that would help me inform my decision I would really appreciate it!

My goal is a decidedly rural area that lives in the long shadow of a more civilized and prosperous city (Silverymoon) and could believably also be a stop on a trade route, so it can be home to a variety of people. Preferably one that hasn't received a great deal of detail as of yet except for something wiping previous canon out.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  02:08:43  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's really very little new information about the 5E Realms, just a few details gleaned from Drizzt novels for the North.

Most of that focuses on Many Arrows no longer being a thing, and the current orc king withdrawing - with a promise not to invade dwarven/northern lands. And most recently, Drizzt and company's descent into Gauntylgrym where they have partially recovered the city from the drow.

Other than that, really nothing. Neverwinter is still in recovery. Luskan is still secretly controlled by the drow. No specifics have been mentioned about Silvermoon.

There is some hope that a regional/world update will happen in the upcoming "Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide" planned for release in November.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Gurgle Gobblespit
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  02:15:54  Show Profile Send Gurgle Gobblespit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you (more or less) want to stick with the published canon of the area? Then, assuming your game takes place in 5th Edition, your best bet is to wait a couple months when we get the official Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. I know that Silver Marches is not the Sword Coast… but they do have overlapping areas in most regional maps. To my knowledge of what constitutes the "Sword Coast Region", the best map to currently stare at is the one officially published for 5th Edition Starter Set, which is made by official cartographer Jared Blando. Notice that when certain towns and cities are there, it is assumed that they are still alive and existing as of the era of 5th Edition. If smaller cities do not appear, it may simply mean that they are not big or important enough to appear on the map. Remember that this is a map about the Sword Coast… so inclusion of cities far from the coast (e.g. in Silver Marches) is not really a focus. This is the same official map published in the pages of the 5th Edition Starter Set.

Link to Jared's official Map of the Sword Coast (below link you can download official hi-res map)
http://theredepic.bigcartel.com/product/the-sword-coast-campaign-map-digital-download-version

And here is a "teaser copy" map (same region) directly from his website, the towns are easier to see.
http://images.bigcartel.com/bigcartel/product_images/141780406/max_w-900/The_Sword_Coast_REVISED_II_100dpi.jpg

Go to Top of Page

mcgharst
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  03:43:57  Show Profile Send mcgharst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the prompt reply and help. I really appreciate it!

I think I will go ahead and start. I guess my only follow up question would be were there any significant notes on the Many Arrow Orcs attack on the Rivermoot/Mithril Hall area?

I can simply make it take at a rural community outside Rivermoot to the east or north. Probably north of it. Experienced some build up when Rivermoot was hit by Many Arrow Orcs and was flooded and then faded slightly as Rivermoot finished being rebuilt.

Edited by - mcgharst on 22 Sep 2015 03:50:55
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  04:19:32  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcgharst

Thank you so much for the prompt reply and help. I really appreciate it!

I think I will go ahead and start. I guess my only follow up question would be were there any significant notes on the Many Arrow Orcs attack on the Rivermoot/Mithril Hall area?

I can simply make it take at a rural community outside Rivermoot to the east or north. Probably north of it. Experienced some build up when Rivermoot was hit by Many Arrow Orcs and was flooded and then faded slightly as Rivermoot finished being rebuilt.

There isn't much in the way of details - though the new/current Orc King (Lorgru, who takes the 'title' of Obould as well) verbally agreed to a treaty with the dwarves, such that he and his people would retreat into the mountains and no longer raid nearby dwarves or others. Doing so would be a clear break with the treaty, and invite war. It seems Lorgru wants peace, though.

Many-Arrows is being dismantled by the dwarven winners. Also, there are hints that since a lot of dwarven lives were lost in the conflict, and because reincarnated Bruenor called for dwarves from dwarven kingdoms all over the north to aid in his war to reclaim Gauntylgrym, any future war with orcs in the north might not go so well. Thousands of dwarves from all over the North joined Bruenor. The current leader of Mithril Hall is Queen Dagnabbit, as King Connerad Brawnanvil stepped down to join Bruenor. King Warcrown also went with Bruenor.

There are some other minor details, mostly having to do with Gauntylgrym, such as who survives/dies. This is all pretty much from the new novel Archmage.

The only mention of Silverymoon is that Aleina Brightlance has the title of "Emissary of Silverymoon and Everlund" and hangs out with Drizzt and company for a bit in the early part of the novel before apparently returning to Silverymoon.

Oh, also, Sundabar and Nesme were totally decimated by the orcs and are slowly being rebuilt.

Hope this helps.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 22 Sep 2015 04:26:10
Go to Top of Page

mcgharst
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  04:39:01  Show Profile Send mcgharst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That does help. I figure if those two larger towns were decimated then it is safe to say (one so close to the Mithral Hall) it was hit as well.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  05:00:29  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That does help. I figure if those two larger towns were decimated then it is safe to say (one so close to the Mithral Hall) it was hit as well.

I agree, very likely. Hopefully we will get more details in November.

--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

mcgharst
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2015 :  04:06:18  Show Profile Send mcgharst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey sorry to necro this thread but I thought of a follow up question. How long after the resolution of the orc conflict and the flooding of Rivermoot does 5e take place?

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2015 :  05:28:05  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey sorry to necro this thread but I thought of a follow up question. How long after the resolution of the orc conflict and the flooding of Rivermoot does 5e take place?

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if this helps, but an exact date for Lorgru (the current orc king (aka 'Obould') and his verbal treaty wasn't given. But it was roughly around the summer/fall of 1485, before the Council of Dwarven Kings in Felbarr.

According to Archmage, Bruenor was still recruiting for the dwarven march to Gauntylgrym in the winter of 1485. Queen Dagnabbit was formally crowned ruler of Mithril Hall in the 2nd month of 1486 while the Council of Dwarven Kings met in Felbarr. The march to Gauntylgrym was fairly long and slow, with several stops (Mirabar, Longsaddle, then they moved over to Neverwinter, departing Longsaddle in midwinter). They arrived at Neverwinter "on the last day of Eleasis in the Year of the Nether Mountain Scrolls" (aka 1486).

They then marched back to Gauntylgrym and took the upper halls.

That seems to be right about where Out of The Abyss is set as well, as part of that adventure is making your way up to where the dwarves have reclaimed part of Gauntylgrym.

The epilogue of Archmage happens on the 15th day of Nightal, 1486.

By the way, note that D&D Expeditions (Hillsfar/Rage of Demons) technically notes the fall of Thultanthar in 1487 - and the subsequent execution of the Shadowvar, as noted in the supplement detailing Hillsfar Regional character options.

That said, dates in 5E don't seem to always be hard and fast - there's apparently no editor keeping good track at WotC to make sure everything is appropriately dated. Princes of the Apocalypse (which was published a while back) is set in 1491 which is well after Archmage.

--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 23 Sep 2015 05:28:40
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2015 :  12:53:14  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By end of archmage the dwarves have theoretically full controll. That is they actually controll all the drow ever had plus some more.

They've to clear out every last corner of some lingering independent Monsters, but there is no large organized force left to contest them
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2015 :  16:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From my impression of the books, I would advise starting from an assumption that a Town that close to Mithril Hall was totally destroyed, it's inhabitants either slaughtered or fled to safer locations (which may have included Nesme or Sundabar in which case they either fled from those locations or died there.)
Basically at the start of a 5th Ed campaign I'd assume that any survivors have returned and started the rebuilding process, and a large portion of the populace may be newcomers who have decided to set down roots and help rebuild. Perhaps Silverymoon has encouraged a wave of settlers to help repopulate the region.
I would emphasize the newness of some completed community buildings, like a town hall or local temple, with lots of burnt out homesteads and ruins left over from the previous town.
The Dwarves of Mithral Hall would definitely be helping in this rebuilding effort. Despite the march on Gauntlygrym, the Dwarves made sure a large force remained to ensure the safety of the 3 Dwarf Holds, as well as help rebuild the devastated Human communities. Perhaps there is a contingent of Dwarves living in town to help with rebuilding and public works projects.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2015 :  01:47:59  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would personally be surprised if anything was said about Rivermoot specifically. If it hasn't been treated in detail already in the Silver Marches, The North boxed set or the old Grey Box, I REALLY doubt you're going to get any more details in the future. My advice would be to utilize the fantastic "non-canon" lore that's been written about the area like in Northern Journeys website etc.
Go to Top of Page

Gurgle Gobblespit
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2015 :  11:31:49  Show Profile Send Gurgle Gobblespit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

I would personally be surprised if anything was said about Rivermoot specifically. If it hasn't been treated in detail already in the Silver Marches, The North boxed set or the old Grey Box, I REALLY doubt you're going to get any more details in the future. My advice would be to utilize the fantastic "non-canon" lore that's been written about the area like in Northern Journeys website etc.

In a way, sometimes I think it's best that WotC left certain "vague" places like small towns and villages alone and never detailed them. In that way, those places would be completely up to the individual DM's creative license to narrate and flesh out. It basically allows the DMs to flesh out their own custom-created areas of the Realms without necessarily conflicting with published 'canon'.

If I had been in charge (just dreaming here) of TSR/WotC, I would have done this as policy years ago. I would have mandated that certain sections of the Forgotten Realms were strictly left for DM's to flesh out and detail in their own campaigns. And in mandating that, I would have prohibited any publishers, novelists (including Salvatore), or future licensees from using those areas in their own canon books/stories of the FR.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  00:23:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gurgle Gobblespit
If I had been in charge (just dreaming here) of TSR/WotC, I would have done this as policy years ago. I would have mandated that certain sections of the Forgotten Realms were strictly left for DM's to flesh out and detail in their own campaigns. And in mandating that, I would have prohibited any publishers, novelists (including Salvatore), or future licensees from using those areas in their own canon books/stories of the FR.

That's exactly what they did with the original Campaign Setting box in 1987, but found over time that this presented difficulties. The Realms doesn't and shouldn't operate in vacuums. Everything affects everything else. So keeping Sembia off limits caused problems given how many campaigns were pointed to the Dales and Cormyr as places to start in. I agree that some places should be left fallow, but not to the point where there is no information about them at all.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  01:46:54  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really think that was the best decision. I don't need details but I LOVE having that little nugget that makes you go "oh I want to go there", and then set up your game. If a DM just wants large areas of nothing for their own designs....well there is still plenty of that around. I'm doing such myself in the Silver Wood.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000