Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarf Clan Darkfell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2015 :  04:24:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone have any information at all on this clan?

I can't find a thing.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2015 :  19:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to all the research I did on my never-completed list of dwarven names, Clan Darkfell is mentioned only once: in the list of clan names in Dwarves Deep. Though my list isn't completely comprehensive, it does have all of 1e and all but one or two 2e products, as well as all of Ed's scrolls up to about 2012.

Looks like that's a clan that was never picked up and used elsewhere. You might want to ask Ed; they may have featured more in his campaign, and just never got into published lore.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2015 :  21:00:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OKay, so Dwarves Deep lists Darkfell as one of the northern clans which I assume means Shield Dwarf (i.e. post Shanatar's fall).

GHoTR has the following about the final assault on Tethyamar in 1104 DR. The message was written on the Black Hammer of Adlon.

quote:
I am Arcrown Ghelarn of the Iron House of Tethyamar, and
I send salutations to Haraxlorl Isinghar “Firebeard” Darkfell
of Iritasker in the Far Hills. As you know, my lord, this
hammer is a symbol of the oath your forefathers swore to
defend the bloodline of Maegar, as well as the kin and holdings
of his progeny. For more than a dozen winters we have
resisted the sargh filth that have laid siege to our halls, and
we have driven them away more times than I have taken an
orc’s head in battle.

Now from this there are a few things. First is that the Darkfell clan possibly came from Shanatar and helped form Oghrann along with the Iron House of Tethyamar

quote:
-149 DR Year of Adamantine Ore: Shield dwarf prospectors discover rich veins of adamantine and iron in the Teshan Mountains (present-day Desertsmouth Mountains) in the Tethyamar Caverns and send word back to their kin of fallen Oghrann in the Storm Horns to join them.

Second is the mention of "Firebeard" which could be a name attributed to his deeds but is also belonging to another clan; Firebeard of Xothaerin (Shanatar). The first king of Oghrann was of clan Firebeard.

Xothaerin was one of the most northerly of Shanatar's sub kingdoms, located beneath the Cloud Peaks of Amn. DDUGTTU mentions a number of clans
quote:
One of the eight subkingdoms of Deep Shanatar, the Adamant Kingdom of Xothaerin was home to Clan Arjotun, Clan Azerkyn, and Clan Blackbanner, as well as many other minor clans and sub-clans.

That Firebeard is not among these mentions means that Firebeard was possibly a minor clan, and from the name might have been a relation to Clan Azerkyn. Darkfell may or may not have also been a clan of Xothaerin, but could also be from another nearby kingdom (like Korolnor).

Finally the Black Hammer could be connected to Xothaerin the Adamant Kingdom (adamant is black), so it reinforces the link of Darkfell and Xothaerin (Darkfell probably gave the hammer to Maegar who passed it onto his children and it ended up in the Iron House).

Anyway, it sounds like Maegar was a famous dwarf who may have even founded what would become the Iron House who probably helped save Clan Darkfell (maybe during the fall of Oghrann or Xothaerin).

That's all I've got, not much, but something more than a name.

If you are lucky George Krashos or Eric Boyd might have something more to add (if they see this).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2015 :  22:43:25  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

I was putting Clan Darkfell in the Far Hills...and here your research places them in the same area!

Thanks Dazzler!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000