Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Thieves Campaign Setting Help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dalantyr
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  15:04:43  Show Profile Send Dalantyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've written an adventure path that I'm currently playtesting with friends. I'm looking to write a Faerun conversion document on my website for DMs who want to run the campaign in the Forgotten Realms. I'm hoping that the esteemed scholars of Candlekeep can help me come up with a suitable city location in the Realms.

The players begin the game as convicts and vagabonds and gradually rise in power to create the most powerful criminal organization in the city. In my homebrew world, this takes place in one of the largest and richest cities in the world. The campaign is gritty and violent as you would expect of a rogue-centric game, but there are also elements of high fantasy such as some of the older noble families residing in flying castles above the city, and the true powers in the city wielding powerful and forbidden magic. It's a coastal city and the navy employs both conventional ships and airships. There is a powerful church which is allied with the ruling class of the city. The law in the city is powerful but has its fair share of corruption. Criminal elements such as beggars, gamblers, pirates, highwaymen, pickpockets, burglars, assassins, and spies all reside in the city.

Where could I place this the most recent iteration of Faerun? Is there a powerful and wealthy city state in which the nobility dabble in powerful and ancient magic? The city must also have a darker and seamier side among the docks and slums.

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  15:19:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could convert Waterdeep.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  15:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also go with Westgate, the Waterdeep of the Dragon Coast. You've got multiple thieves guilds and assassin's guilds to compete with on your way to the top, and rising above them all would be noticeable to any goodly organization in Faerun. You'd have no shortage of options for foes to challenge the PC's.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  15:37:31  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Apart from the flying castles and airships, which you could include after the introduction of earthmotes after the Spellplague) Athkatla in Amn seems to fit the bill, mainly on the corrupted law and organised crime sides (Shadow Thieves!).

Also Teflamm in Thesk has profited from its near monopoly on Kara-Turan trade goods, and its not so noble nobility class is derived from 'merchant-prince' clans hailing from Impiltur. The Shadowmasters in this town operate as a major, but entirely unseen and secret powergroup.

The Skyclave of the new Imaskari people does have the fantastic airship trade you seek, but its (near epic-)magic wielding nobility is probably quite adept at squashing any thieves guilds that operate to openly, and they are traditionally godless with almost no organised clergy active in their massive tower-city.

Edit: Nearly forgot about Waterdeeps' Undermountain, one of the most notoriously criminal port-cities of all.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 23 Aug 2015 15:40:31
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  16:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Edit: Nearly forgot about Waterdeeps' Undermountain, one of the most notoriously criminal port-cities of all.

Yes, Skullport could be fun to play in, with the city being rebuilt and all, it's wide open for a new guild to come in and takeover. The city of Waterdeep above would give them room to expand, as well.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  18:33:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would just take Sharn from Eberron and port it in somewhere. You can really stick it just about anywhere - on an island in the SofS, or the Lake of Steam area (Border Kingdoms of course), the Moonsea, on The Akanamere in the Blade Kingdoms, anywhere along the Sword Coast... really almost anywhere, so long as it doesn't fall-out within a country's borders (and there are very few 'hard' borders in Faerūn).

There is even a quasi-independent city (that you can just say is fully independent) between Mulhorand and Thay - Sultim - that is ready to use, if you want to be over in the east. It has no real lore about it, is in a good spot, and you could easily paste Sharn right over it (and that city already has everything you wanted, and has its own sourcebook). Personally, I don't see the need to swap it for anything - just plunk it down where you want, so long as it doesn't interfere with other nearby stuff (like sticking it right next to Waterdeep would be really weird).

What region do you have a preference for? That might be a good place to start. If you like the western heartlands then stick it on Orlumbor, and if you like the Inner sea stick it on Prespur or one of the 'pirate isles'. There are even two small isles right off the coast of Gulthmere/Turmish that would work for an 'independent citystate'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Aug 2015 18:39:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000