Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ugh, mass combat rules?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  13:11:45  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So im trying to come up with some mass combat rules that are really simple. I don't want to pull out some giant box set or devise a complicated system. So this is what i've written up so far. I don't feel like its going to work atm, so im posting it here for you guys to check out and give me some feedback on how i can put this together.

-----

Units making attacks will roll against the GM for base Attack vs the Armor Class of the enemy. Successful attacks deal weapon damage per the attacking unit. The total HP of the enemy unit is equal to 25% of the maximum HP an individual soldier has. Thus a unit with 500 Fighters (10HP at max) has 1,250 HP. Unit damage is the sum of one dice roll times the number of individuals in the unit, divided by 25%. So a successful hit with a unit armed with longswords can inflict 1d8 X the number of combatants, divided by 25%.

For example, Gwayn leads his unit of two hundred fighters (500 HP) into combat against an enemy army of 300 barbarians (750 HP). In the first round of combat Gwayn leads his men into a charge, His unit then deals (via statistics for 1 soldier rolling 1d8) 400 points of damage (8x200/25%).

If a unit should fall below 50% in health, the commander of that unit must make a rally check (CHR) or be forced into retreat. For every 10% the unit falls below 50% implies a negative 1 to this check.
During a retreat, damage is divided in half while the commander makes a successful intelligence check on his next imitative. If the check succeeds, the unit completes its retreat and takes no more damage unless fired on by ranged weapons (or magic) or the unit encounters another attack by the advance of an enemy unit. For spell effects such as Entangle or Hold Person, apply the maximum number of persons that can be affected by the spell and divide by 25%. The same goes for area affect spells such as Fireball.

For example; Ryick casts Pyrotechnics into the front line of an advancing unit’s torch light. 120ft out from a center point is affected by the spell. If one person occupies 5ft of space, Ryick can affect up to 18 persons on the first round.

Commanders can turn the tide of a battle by leading their men, these are called Order Actions. Certain actions give the PCs additional bonuses upon a successful hit if the Commander is able to make their ability checks for said actions. Order Actions are separated into two groups, Attack (Charisma), Defense (Intelligence). Each round a Commander may choose one of these actions as long as he is personally able to do so. While the Commander makes his or her checks, this action remains in play until they fail their check, or end the action. If a unit falls below 50% the Commander suffers the same penalties per check as they would if they were in retreat.

For example, Commander Uther decides to rally his men by bringing up his banner men. Each round there-after add +5 damage to the banner-men’s attacks as long as Uther makes a successful Charisma check per round. The following round Uther calls for a shield wall of foot soldiers to protect his spear-men applying a -10 to his enemy’s damage against them. This action requires an intelligence check per round to keep up his units defenses. Thus his banner-men do 1d8 points of damage +5 (With a successful Charisma check) while his shield wall moves into position (Intelligence check). On the third round, Uther calls up his spearmen to attack over the top of the shield wall while his banner-men flank the enemy. Provided he succeeds on his ability checks, Uther’s Banner-men attack with 1d8+5 X the number of individuals in the unit divided by 25%, his Shied wall defends his spear-men protecting them for up to 10 points of damage X the number of individuals in the unit divided by 25%, while Uther’s spear-men then attack the enemy with 1d10 +10 points of damage X the number of individuals in the unit divided by 25%.

Remember while Commanders lead their men the can take actions for themselves. If a PC decides to attack on their own, their units continue to receive their Order Action bonuses until the Commander gives a different Order Action or fails an ability check. A PC may at any point decided to take matters into their own hands on their initiative however they may only command 1 unit per combat level and still receive their Order Action bonus. Use the table below to apply adjustments for each unit in play. This table suggests generic units found in European warfare. However feel free to elaborate the table with new units at the GMs discretion. Units may apply +5 to +20 depending on their rank. Only units with shields may defend.

Rank % 1st Class 2nd class 3rd class
***Knight - - +20
*Cavalry +5 +10 +15
*Lt. Cavalry +5 +5 -
***Esquire +5 +10 -
*Footmen +5 +5/-5 +10/-10
**L. Archer +5 +10 +15
**S. Archer +5 +10 -
*Spear-Men - +10/-5 +20
*Bill-Men +5 +10 -
*Banner-Men +5 +5/-5 -

Certain units occupy classes among themselves. A Knight for instance may only be 3rd class as other positions are below their class requirement. Units acquire classes through military training and promotions via their commander (or three engagements per class). Thus armies of men who have seen little combat tend to rank lower in classes than armies that have seasoned fighters among their ranks. Units marked with an asterisk may be promoted to classes in their group at the Commander’s discretion provided they have enough engagements to meet that classes requirements.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"

Edited by - Cbad285 on 25 Aug 2015 16:34:23

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  16:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've said many times before, I'm no crunch monkey. Evaluating something mechanically isn't my strong point. However, if you haven't taken a look at the playtest version of the mass combat rules for 5e, you should. It could fit pretty easily into any system with a little tweaking. Maybe you'll get some ideas? Hope it helps.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  15:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, if you want to run a mass combat in a D&D game, storytell it as the GM, and take the respective plan of attacks as well as the army composition, positioning etc. into account, and then decide which side wins. If you want to inject some randomness in the result, run regiments against regiments, considder some simple opposed rolls to determine which side will win, and how many casualties will be suffered by each side. Personally I'd considder something like 1d20+BAB+AC(+ possible bonus for outnumbering or other special factors) for each unit. Highest result wins the combat (round). Each side suffers the opponent's result x10 in damage (kills or HP), and the loosing side makes a morale check to stay put. If they fail, they run off, and if they win the two sides roll off again until someone breaks or is wiped out. Subsequent morale checks can be modified for suffered losses, making it harder and harder for a regiment to stand their ground in a loosing battle.
If there are characters involved in the fight, storytell the battle around them, and have them fight as normal against a smaller number of opponents.

My appologies for not commenting on your suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to study it in depth right now, and thus give you some proper feedback on it.
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  22:56:52  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries. I just decided to use some of the battle system rules. Here is what I came up with if anyone is interested in using it.

btw i agree that you should just story tell the fight. However in my situation it requires us to do a little more than that.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"

Edited by - Cbad285 on 25 Aug 2015 16:34:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000