Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  12:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

But at the same time, why set it in The Realms at all, then? Thats my question.

Oh, that's easy. <snip>
You kinda missed my point, though. I wasn't talking about WotC - Krash just hit that nail right on the head.

What I was saying was, "why would Warner Brothers want to invest in something that has failed several times before?" Say what you want about large corporations, but when it comes to making money they're not stupid. I can't possibly see 'D&D' be the selling point for WB in that deal - it just had to be the (previously?) successful novel line. As I said above, a few hundred novels set in The Forgotten Realms is nothing to sneeze at, IP-wise.

I have to wonder - Hasbro being what it is - if they aren't going to try their hand at a live-action version of the cartoon? After all, a lot of the early Realms stuff was based off the fact that Elminster visited our world, and people from our world could visit the Realms. They might just do a "Connecticut Yankee in King's Azoun's Court" kind of thing.

I think Martin Lawrence already beat that horse to death.

Whatever they do, though, it has to be tied to the novel lines, even if indirectly. I can't see WB banking on anything less.

But the answer is still the same. As I understand, WotC holds the rights to make the film, not WB. It's WB approaching Hasbro/WotC to use the rights to make the film, not the other way around. WB wants to take another "big name" in fantasy and milk the fantasy film cow while she's giving milk.
LotR has been done, Narnia has been done, GoT is being done, Conan has been re-done, and D&D is left.
WotC finally won the rights to make the film back, and they want it set in their flagship setting.
The setting doesn't have to be as big a deal to WB. At least, not as big as it is to us.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  12:47:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fun thought last night:

1. Hasbro announces they are doing a D&D movie and it's set in the Realms.
2. The kids from the old D&D cartoon have been established in canon as being in the Realms.
3. The D&D movie will be a reboot of the cartoon.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  13:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Fun thought last night:

2. The kids from the old D&D cartoon have been established in canon as being in the Realms.

Well, thanks to Chris Perkins, they already have a live action Dungeon Master costume, so they're ahead of the game.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  13:07:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fun thought last night:

Other than the lame comic and the images in the Baldur's Gate games, I'm not aware of it being canon that those kids are in the Realms. The comic itself contains nothing that contributes to canon, and unlike the old DC/TSR titles, I've seen nothing that indicates it is canon.

I don't dislike the idea of it being canon, I'm just not aware that it is, officially.

Additional note: I was a kid when that cartoon was on the air... But I had a thing for Sheila.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Aug 2015 13:09:23
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  13:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Fun thought last night:

Other than the lame comic and the images in the Baldur's Gate games, I'm not aware of it being canon that those kids are in the Realms. The comic itself contains nothing that contributes to canon, and unlike the old DC/TSR titles, I've seen nothing that indicates it is canon.

I don't dislike the idea of it being canon, I'm just not aware that it is, officially.

Additional note: I was a kid when that cartoon was on the air... But I had a thing for Sheila.

Ah, so the secret is out! I couldn't stand Eric. Guy didn't know how to properly shield bash a monster.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  15:22:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The fact that some stories have been less than stellar doesn't mean that a movie that tells a new story will similarly be less than stellar.

But it does give a strong indication.

So does the fact that the 3 previous live-action D&D films were all original tales, as well, and they all stunk.

Why keep going back to that well, when there are proven, established stories from the novels to emulate?

One definition of stupidity/insanity is to keep doing the same thing while expecting different results.

quote:
I would be very surprised if the person(s) writing the movie isn't working closely with at least one well-established author/lorelord of the Realms; otherwise, why would they even pick a specific setting?

I sure hope you're right.

But I heard the same thing about the Dragonlance animated film, and that didn't turn out very well.

I think it comes down to how "closely" are the book writers actually working with the film writers. Merely being distant consultants isn't enough.

quote:
Similarly, novel success does not necessarily equal movie success. A lot of books that have been popular have had lousy, even mediocre movies[...]

But we've had 3 failed original D&D films. That's a clear pattern.

Why not take a different path with D&D material this time?

quote:
Additionally, movie adaptations aren't always faithful to the source material. Of the (kinda sorta) most recent Three Musketeers movies I've seen, I think only one of them was written by someone who had, on one occasion, actually been in the same room as the book. Most of them have just used character names and concepts -- sometimes rather broadly, at that -- and gone off in their own direction. The Disney one with Keifer Sutherland and Oliver Platt is an excellent example of that; it has next to nothing in common with the book, other than character names and trying to get to Calais to stop Lady diWinter.

I have initially enjoyed a lot of films that later were shown to be unfaithful adaptations of books. For mere idle eye candy, those movies worked at the time.

But I've lost a lot of respect for the really loose adaptations over time.

I loved Jurassic Park, both as movie and as a book. And while Lost World: Jurassic Park was a fun movie, it stunk compared to the book, as well as compared to the first movie. The more faithful adaptation kicked the looser adaptation's butt.

quote:
Given the difficulty of adapting an existing story correctly and faithfully translating it to the big screen, as well as the fact that FR readers are a very small portion of the target audience, there is no reason at all for them to not go with a new story.

I disagree.

Here are 3 such reasons:

Dungeons & Dragons (2000)
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God (2005)
Dungeons & Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness (2011)

They already tried it--three times. It's really hard to make a good, original D&D story that works for film.

I'm not saying that to be a meanie to the guys who made those movies. I'm saying that to illustrate the gravity of what these latest filmmakers are apparently trying to do.

Better to go with a proven story and try to carry some of its greatness over to the big screen than to try to defy the track record of other live action original D&D movies. There's already so much bad (quasi-original) fantasy out there. Why not adapt some of the good fantasy from other media? The fantasy of the most successful book lines seems like the primo target to shoot for.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  15:45:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Three failed scripts by who? Last I read, this script was written by the guy who did How to Train Your Dragon, which was a successful film. As far as I know, he's not the guy who wrote the first three D&D films. That alone is a significant enough difference.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2015 :  16:46:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fun thought last night:

I pretty-much had the same idea above, and The Forgotten Realms makes for a perfect fit. Its like Narnia in that regard, and kids can identify with the characters. Give it a bit of a 'Goonies' thing but made for 2015. We also have touches of Conan, LotR, every horror/vampire drama ever made, zombies (you could just drop the folks from Waling Dead right into Thay and they wouldn't bat an eye), etc, etc. If they go 'dark & gritty' it could even be like GoT.

It really is the PERFECT movie setting, because you can do ANYTHING with it.

Lets just hope they do it right.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Aug 2015 16:48:47
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  03:03:45  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading some more of the back-and-forth on the "reboot", "new characters", and "Driz'zt" stuff, it dawned on me that maybe the thing we need is an all of the above approach... by making "Spellfire".
I think Driz'zt is gold for the movies, he's the "Wolverine" in the Forgotten Realms formula... But, he wasn't really center stage until the second X-Men film.
The next thing that occured to me is that the Forgotten Realms movie needs to make someone like my wife want to go see it, because the fact is if women aren't motivated to go see this film, it's going down in flames... So, if the Forgotten Realms wants to create a contrast against the "World of Warcraft" crowd... They should emulate the only films I buy tickets to go see (because my wife wants to go) and that is the "Hunger Games" and "Divergent" film series... By making a new version of "Spellfire", and pair the female lead with the Driz'zt character as her dark/dreamy guardian.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  03:12:23  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Three failed scripts by who?

D&D: Topper Lilien, Carroll Cartwright
D&D:WOTDG: Robert Kimmel, Gerry Lively, Brian Rudnick
D&D: TBOVD: Brian Rudnick

Instead of changing the material to base it on a proven storyline, they kept changing the writers.

And that seems to be what they're doing, again.

quote:
Last I read, this script was written by the guy who did How to Train Your Dragon, which was a successful film. As far as I know, he's not the guy who wrote the first three D&D films. That alone is a significant enough difference.

Will Davies is mostly known for comedy films. They are not meant to be taken seriously. They are meant to make you laugh. Some work in that regards. Some don't.

Either way, I'm not much of a fan of comedies. Or cartoon movies.

Davis is NOT known for taking an established world and faithfully adapting it to the bigscreen.

Do we really want D&D to be the subject of another comedy? Is that what D&D and FR need from Hollywood?

I don't get the common idea in moviemaking that X was really good in movie 1, so they'll probably be good in this too. Y really wrote a great movie 2, so maybe they'll do great here too.

We have to ask if they actually FIT. Does what they did before actually come close to what we want them to do now?

It's no good when what we want them to do is to actually change and stretch in the process of moving from one movie to the other. Then what they did before really has very little bearing on the movie that we want made.

What I'm trying to say here is that instead of just changing the writer and HOPING that he can come up with something drastically better than the first D&D films, it would be a lot more reliable and sensible to actually use proven material and adapt that to the screen. Go with what you KNOW, rather than what you HOPE.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  03:22:26  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joining in late, but I don't think a movie would do the setting justice, and, while I like Drizzt, I don't want a Drizzt movie. I think it would be better if they did an original television series set in the Realms, with characters that aren't from any of the FR novels. A movie just wouldn't cut it.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  03:30:15  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

The next thing that occured to me is that the Forgotten Realms movie needs to make someone like my wife want to go see it, because the fact is if women aren't motivated to go see this film, it's going down in flames... So, if the Forgotten Realms wants to create a contrast against the "World of Warcraft" crowd... They should emulate the only films I buy tickets to go see (because my wife wants to go) and that is the "Hunger Games" and "Divergent" film series... By making a new version of "Spellfire", and pair the female lead with the Driz'zt character as her dark/dreamy guardian.

"The Icewind Dale Trilogy" features a young Catti-brie, who, although only a minor background character in the shadows at first, eventually rises to become a warrior woman right alongside all the men in her life. Unlike Princess Eowyn from TLOTR, who does so by slinking along behind her king in secret and in disguise, Catti-brie does so by openly standing up to her king and brazenly defying him. This is something that was handled kinda weakly in the books, but it could SO be played up in the movies. I'm just a man, but methinks that that would play well with the female moviegoing crowd.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  03:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Joining in late, but I don't think a movie would do the setting justice, and, while I like Drizzt, I don't want a Drizzt movie. I think it would be better if they did an original television series set in the Realms, with characters that aren't from any of the FR novels. A movie just wouldn't cut it.

If it was live-action, and had good to excellent production value (like Walking Dead, Battlestar Galactica, Outlander, etc.), yes, this would be the best route. Not on the major networks, but on a cable channel, or even paid cable like Game of Thrones or Outlander. You can build characters and narrative over 8 to 16 episodes that can't be done in a movie. And like Game of Thrones and Outlander, a novel in a series can be advanced along at a rate: one novel = one season.

Edited by - Rymac on 08 Aug 2015 03:35:10
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  05:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Instead of changing the material to base it on a proven storyline, they kept changing the writers.

quote:
Last I read, this script was written by the guy who did How to Train Your Dragon, which was a successful film. As far as I know, he's not the guy who wrote the first three D&D films. That alone is a significant enough difference.

Will Davies is mostly known for comedy films. They are not meant to be taken seriously. They are meant to make you laugh. Some work in that regards. Some don't.

Davis is NOT known for taking an established world and faithfully adapting it to the bigscreen.

Do we really want D&D to be the subject of another comedy? Is that what D&D and FR need from Hollywood?

I don't get the common idea in moviemaking that X was really good in movie 1, so they'll probably be good in this too. Y really wrote a great movie 2, so maybe they'll do great here too.

We have to ask if they actually FIT. Does what they did before actually come close to what we want them to do now?

It's no good when what we want them to do is to actually change and stretch in the process of moving from one movie to the other. Then what they did before really has very little bearing on the movie that we want made.

What I'm trying to say here is that instead of just changing the writer and HOPING that he can come up with something drastically better than the first D&D films, it would be a lot more reliable and sensible to actually use proven material and adapt that to the screen. Go with what you KNOW, rather than what you HOPE.

If we're adapting a book to screen, I'd agree to some extent. From what you say, he doesn't have a good record for adapting a book to screen.
If we're just writing a story set in the Realms, I'm less inclined. The script can change a lot between now and final cut, often only vaguely resembling the original. Also, he's shown he has story writing talent in How to Train Your Dragon. While it is a different genre, he could still apply that skill and come up with a good story.
We aren't even sure what kind of story they want to tell, yet. (Though with Perkins consulting, it might be kinda... Cheesy.)
Also, I really don't see what else they can do as far as script writers. Yes, they've changed each time. But each time has sucked abysmally, according to general consensus. It makes no sense to keep the same guys involved. We'd have even less hope then.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  12:27:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

And George Miller, the man behind all the Mad Max movies also wrote Babe, Babe in the City, Happy Feet, and Happy Feet 2. Don't judge them by what they did previously...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  13:41:22  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

"The Icewind Dale Trilogy" features a young Catti-brie, who, although only a minor background character in the shadows at first, eventually rises to become a warrior woman right alongside all the men in her life. Unlike Princess Eowyn from TLOTR, who does so by slinking along behind her king in secret and in disguise, Catti-brie does so by openly standing up to her king and brazenly defying him. This is something that was handled kinda weakly in the books, but it could SO be played up in the movies. I'm just a man, but methinks that that would play well with the female moviegoing crowd.

I hear you there, Beast. I thought the Icewind Dale Trilogy was great. If they went in that direction they would definitely have to realign it with her as the centerpiece character, but I think they could pull it off.

My gut pulled me to the Spellfire books because it required less effort to rewrite, as the main character was already a woman, and it could easily pulled forward into the 5e timeline with a new character (especially with Tiamat & Cult of the Dragon having prominence at the outset of 5e)...

Truth is, I would much prefer the Icewind Dale Trilogy to try and be true to the novels... If they have Driz'zt as a supporting character in a new Spellfire (and it's successful), then they can send Driz'zt rocketing down a parallel path to the "Wolverine" character, and make prequels that are true to his novels with him as the center character.

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  14:40:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellfire is VERY tropey - 'farm girl' finds she has awesome powers/ is 'the chosen one'. Has to balance nigh-omnipotent magical might with morality, etc.

Ergo, it would probably be perfect for a movie.

I still think Drizzt would be pure win, but I've pretty-much beaten that horse to death now.

BOTH have the young, angsty characters trying to 'fight the good fight' against all odds. 'Star-crossed love' is also a must. Thats what a movie needs these days - tack-on some stellar CGI and a halfway decent script and they'll get that 'Realms Movie Universe' they are probably hoping for.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Aug 2015 14:41:27
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  15:04:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this movie needs to avoid any drow characters altogether -- good or evil. The US is very, very hung up on race issues, and saying "yeah, here's this race of dark-skinned people, the vast majority of whom are so evil they'd kill their own mothers to get a little political power," is going to generate howls of outrage so fast it'll make your head spin.

Yes, we, the D&D players, know that the drow are not any kind of statement on real-world issues. But we are a small portion of the movie-going audience. As soon as the non-D&D people find out that a movie includes this very evil bunch, it's going to be horribly misconstrued and spun in the worst possible way -- and the movie will get even more negative PR than D&D got from religious groups in the 80's.

Of course, you could avoid that by changing their skin tone... But at that point, why not go with just an evil elf? And if you do that, now you've got a new story.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  15:24:08  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they should just go with the Army of Darkness descends on Myth Drannor.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  15:25:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also on the topic of basing movies off of books... Which book? There has been more than one very successful book in the Realms. And we've all got our favorites; we've all got books that we think would adapt better into movies than other books would.

For example, I think Elfshadow has the perfect mix. You've got the humor, the action, the intrigue, the potential romance, betrayal, murder, secret societies, a strong female character, very serious consequences, and it's all contained in one tale. And it showcases a nice chunk of the Realms, on top of that.

So if a book had to be chosen, that would be my pick.

And to be quite honest, some of the other books that have been popular in the Realms -- I'd be inclined to not see a movie based on them. Not everyone loves the same characters. Not everyone loves the same stories. Some stories that have been very popular I've thoroughly disliked -- one of them, I wanted to throw the book across the room when I was done, because the ending pissed me off that badly. You make a movie based on that series, I'll not even watch it on Netflix.

On top of all of that, Hollywood butchers books. I cited The Three Musketeers earlier -- I've yet to see an adaptation of that one that's even close to faithful to the original material. As a book, it's far more iconic than anything in the Realms -- it's more than 150 years old and was written in another language -- and yet, no one in Hollywood can come closer to the actual plot than the most basic premise.

Just because a book has been proven successful with a small subset of the movie-going populace, that doesn't mean the tale will be translated well to the big screen, or that it will prove popular with the average moviegoer, most of whom haven't picked up a book since high school.

I want to see a movie that does what every single Realms author has done -- tells a new tale. I want to see a movie that does what every single Realms author has done at least one -- focus on new characters.

I'm not overly confident that Hollywood can do that well -- but I'm a hell of a lot more confident about them doing that well than I am about them picking an existing tale that I'd like to see and telling it well.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  16:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I want to see a movie that does what every single Realms author has done -- tells a new tale. I want to see a movie that does what every single Realms author has done at least one -- focus on new characters.

I'm not overly confident that Hollywood can do that well -- but I'm a hell of a lot more confident about them doing that well than I am about them picking an existing tale that I'd like to see and telling it well.

Aye. While I won't be too disappointed if they adopt a novel to the screen, I'd like to see a new story.
New story means I get to see the Realms, and get surprised by a new bit of Realmslore, rather than just compare book to film differences.
If they adapt a book, for me, making a horrible adaptation won't be too bad. I already treat the novels as Legends anyway; vague, unreliable chapbooks of heroes' deeds. A film will just be a different version of the same tale.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  22:48:57  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatore posted this on his Facebook:

quote:
Since the announcement, I've gotten a slew of e-mails, PMs, and, as you can see, posts on this page asking me about it. The PMs are the best - "hey, tell me the inside scoop and I won't tell anyone"...lol.

So here's the inside scoop from me, right now: I know what you know.

Wow, huh?

I've read the press release, the stories, the other rumors, etc., but that's what I know...the public information. Of course I've talked with Wizards about it, but it's early in the process and there's really nothing more they could, or would, tell me.

If it is about Drizzt, wouldn't he know something already?

Edit: Formatting

Edited by - sno4wy on 08 Aug 2015 22:49:24
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  23:51:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And George Miller, the man behind all the Mad Max movies also wrote Babe, Babe in the City, Happy Feet, and Happy Feet 2. Don't judge them by what they did previously...

I was only doing that because I was asked who is being credited with the latest script, and what he has done. That kinda means that I needed to consider what he did previously.

How else are we to form opinions on anyone or anything unless we consider what they've done before?

Of course, we could always be surprised. But the most reasonable opinion we can hold is one based on the evidence already in existence--not one based on evidence that we don't have.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  23:52:13  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Meh...I really don't want a Drizzt movie. I love Drizzt, but the books don't really paint a thorough picture of the Realms, in my mind. Oh, they go into drow society, which is great. I like drow. But other books have also done a good job with that race, and a better job at presenting the Realms.

Then again, movie-goers probably wouldn't be that interested in the "feel" of the Realms, so I suppose that is a weak argument. I read the Drizzt books, I love the character, but I really don't want to see it on the silver screen. For one thing, there are so many Drizzt books now. Oh, they could do the Dark Elf or Icewind Dale trilogy and call it good, but..eh. I just wouldn't be that interested. That's just me, however.

Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  01:47:01  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
two relevant questions for the sagely folks here:

1. Do you think that a possible movie will shift the timeline of any 5e Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting to coincide with it? How so?

2. What is your take on how the HBO series Game of Thrones will affect the movie in terms of redeeming Hollywood fantasy, from being a juvenile thing to something with better dialogue, no cheesiness and great production values?

Edited by - Infamous on 09 Aug 2015 03:25:33
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  01:50:14  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want a Mirt the Moneylander movie! Or a fall of Netheril movie! Or a Symbul movie!

My favorite, though, would be a story with a female lead, Storm Silverhand's saga played by a blond Odette Annable.

With this guy writing, though, I think we are in for a disappointment, with bad dialogue and lots of monsters: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424901/

Edited by - Infamous on 09 Aug 2015 03:25:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  17:10:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love Mirt as the 'storyteller' (in a frame-story), rather then Elminster. I would not want him to be an actual character in the storyline - his background would make him an easy target for people who like to complain about s*** on the internet.

@Wooly (and anyone else of like mind):

RE: Race - Two fairly easy fixes
1) Give us Drizzt, the GOOD drow. Then show him running into other good drow (Promenade? Some random forest?). If we do his background in a prologue flashback scene, and see ALL drow as evil (except for him... and perhaps his teacher), and its later revealed that good drow exist, but are either killed or run-away, that not only solves the whole problem, but we also get a little bit of a RW life-lesson; "don't judge a book by its cover", or in this case, don't judge an entire race by its bad press.

2) Go back to basics - give us Ed's 'Dark Elves'. The albino kind, like those really cool ones from the Hellboy movie. Sure, now we saying 'white people are evil', but no-one ever gets upset about that.

Oh... and if we combine the two - make Drizzt the black kind, and then show other members of his race as the 'ebil white ones', thats pure win. You'd be tapping into the current psychological social under currents going on right now.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  17:41:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

RE: Race - Two fairly easy fixes
1) Give us Drizzt, the GOOD drow. Then show him running into other good drow (Promenade? Some random forest?). If we do his background in a prologue flashback scene, and see ALL drow as evil (except for him... and perhaps his teacher), and its later revealed that good drow exist, but are either killed or run-away, that not only solves the whole problem, but we also get a little bit of a RW life-lesson; "don't judge a book by its cover", or in this case, don't judge an entire race by its bad press.

Heh, seeing followers of Eilistraee in a movie would be really heartwarming (for me, at least).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  18:10:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can agree to that. I just really, really don't want a Drizzt movie, even though I love Drizzt. I would rather see a movie with completely new characters. I suppose they could do cameo appearances of some of the major characters (like Drizzt or El), but don't have them be the central characters.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  20:03:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here I am just the opposite - I can't stand the little emo runt... but he is the perfect savior for our beloved Realms. The popularity of the book line is what made us strong in 2e (and later 3e), and he is the anchor of that.

I don't want him, but we need him right now.

Believe me, if someone was to go back in time and tell the circa 2010 me that I'd be arguing in favor of a 'Drizzt movie' some day I'd tell them they were nuts. Things change - you don't always get what you want (I'd love a move centered around Alusair and Cormyr!), but some times, we get what we need.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2015 20:04:37
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000