Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How many ancient ruins are in Cormanthor?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  21:21:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How many ancient ruins are there in Cormanthor that have either not been uncovered in many many years or have not been discovered since their fall? This includes dungeons as well.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  21:45:08  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say lots. The Fall of Myth Drannor book from 2E days that documented the destruction of Myth Drannor has tons of places named in it. I think there was even a map that showed placement if I remember. Any one of them could be made into an adventure site.

Edited by - Eilserus on 25 Jul 2015 21:45:56
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  22:00:48  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus, the corresponding Underdark boundaries of the Cormanthor ... The Deep Wastes ... has some significant landmarks underneath this fabled forest. The grand Drow city of Maerimydra and the boundaries of the big bodies of Underdark water known as the Moondeep Sea and the Lake of Shadows. Plus, the Cormanthor has at least 4 prominent entry/exit points to the Underdark that probably tie-in to those prominent landmarks.

All this mentioned because it could tie-in to Shadowsoul's Cormanthorian ancient ruin search ....

Edited by - Snow on 25 Jul 2015 22:02:19
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  22:40:03  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will second lots. Basically, Cormanthor was home to multiple major elven civilization for more than ten thousand years. There was what we think of as Cormanthor/Myth Drannor, of course, but also Rystall Wood and Uvaeren. There were a number of cities, but also plenty of smaller towns an villages (as Fall of Myth Drannor notes in place names). Add to that the towers of lone (or small groups of) wizards, noble manors, military camps, and everything else you'd expect from somewhere inhabited for that long, and you can put pretty much whatever you want wherever you want and have a good rationale for it.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  03:59:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And lets not forget that nearly all of the Eastern Heartlands was one big forest - Cormanthor ruins could lie within Cormyr, or even Sembia.

I believe there are some ruins mentioned even on the other side of the Dragon Reach (the Flooded Forest was part of Cormanthor).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jul 2015 04:00:46
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  22:28:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's even a ruined pile of rubble that was once Silorrattor which only get mentioned in BLACKSTAFF Chapter 18 and nowhere else. :)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000