Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Chosen in 5th Edition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AnthonyRTDB
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  15:24:18  Show Profile Send AnthonyRTDB a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So far I have had a great time running 5th Edition. I just finished running the Hoard of the Dragon Queen and Rise of Tiamat campaign. Now, I am planning a new campaign. However, I am not sure how the Chosen of Mystra, Chosen of whomever would work in 5th Edition.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for these that they are using.

Thanks!

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  17:26:03  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can try my hand on some of the ones I have seen online and in Magic of Faerun; the Chosen of Tyr and Chosen of Auril (frist written by Aziabel & Lord Karsus on the WotC boards) and the Magister (MaF).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 22 Jul 2015 17:27:08
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  18:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't done a lot of work on it, but my first glance through the DMG's Epic Boons made me think of Chosen. A chosen could be made by simply creating a package of boons that fit what's been done in past editions.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  18:46:54  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TEMPLATE: CHOSEN OF TYR
The Chosen of Tyr is the right hand of Tyr on the Material Plane. He is the unerring face of Justice as well as good and lawful Vengeance to those committing atrocities across the realms of Faerűn. Individually and decisively chosen by the Maimed God, the Chosen of Tyr is both very charismatic and resolute in his deliverance of just retribution. He seeks to uphold and spread the word of law to the corners of Faerűn, serving The Even-Handed to his utmost capability; where tyranny and fear take hold, the Chosen of Tyr is soon to appear, quelling those evils. The Chosen of Tyr appears no different from other creatures of their type.

"The current Chosen of Tyr is Dervin Pendragon, the Right Hand of Tyr. (My own personal character... I can post details if wanted)"[Aziabel]

Creating a Chosen of Tyr
“Chosen of Tyr” is a template that can be added to any humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the “character”). A Chosen of Tyr uses the character's statistics and special abilities except as noted here. A Chosen of Tyr only has its power at the will of Tyr; should the Maimed God decide to remove Chosen status from the character, he reverts to his original abilities. Normally, there is only one Chosen of Tyr at a time.

A Chosen of Tyr retains gains the following:
Bonus Spells: Constant active on self – Protection vs Fiends, Protection vs Fey. Cast as cantrip – Sanctuary. Cast 3 times per long rest – Aid, Hold Person or Magic Circle. Cast 1 time per long rest – Holy Aura.
Aura of Menace : A righteous aura surrounds the Chosen of Tyr when it fights or gets angry. Any hostile creature within a 20-foot radius of the Chosen must make a Will save (DC 12 + its Cha modifier) to resist its effects. Those who fail take a -1 morale penalty on attacks, and saves for 8 hours. If an affected creature makes a successful hit on the Chosen, that creature can attempt a new saving throw. A creature that makes a successful saving throw against the effect cannot be affected again by the Chosen's aura for 8 hours.
Branding Smite: Three times per long rest, the Chosen may attempt to smite a creature with a weapon attack, imbuing it with Tyrs astral light. If the branding smite attack hits a creature the Chosen deals an additional 2d6 weapon damage and the target gives off a faint radiance; if the target is invisible it becomes visible and remains so untill the Chosen stops concentration, up to 1 minute.
Aura of Courage: The Chosen is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Allies within 10 feet of him gain a +1 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions while the Chosen is conscious, but not if he is unconscious or dead.
Resistance to Bludgeoning damage: a Chosen takes half damage from bludgeoning weapons and effects.
Spell Resistance: The Chosen is constantly under the effect of a resistance cantrip (ads 1d4 to all saves)
Immunities (Ex): A Chosen of Tyr is immune to poison and disease; he's also immune to aging effects and does not age, a Chosen of Tyr is effectively immortal.
Saves: Same as the character.
Abilities: Set the ability score to Strength 19, Wisdom 19, Charisma 19 unless the character has more.
Skills: a Chosen of Tyr has advantage on Wisdom (Insight checks) (or +5 on passive perception)
Feats: A chosen of Tyr gains the Resilience feat.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the character.
Organization: Same as the character.
Challenge Rating: Same as the character +4. The Chosen of Tyr approaches the power of some demigods and are not to trifled with by most mortals.
Alignment: Always Lawful Good.
Treasure: Same as the character.
Advancement: Same as the character.

"The template was partially based off of Raziel, The Crusader in BoED, and the opposite of the Chosen of Bane template. I think it's pretty balanced, logical and not OP. Constructive criticism, please." [Aziabel]

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  19:17:36  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chosen of Auril

Creating a Chosen of Auril
The “Chosen of Auril” is a template that can be added to any Humanoid creature. A Chosen of Auril uses all the base character’s statistics and special abilities except as noted. A Chosen of Auril only has its power at the will of Auril, and should the Icemaiden decide to remove the Chosen status from a character, he or she reverts to their former abilities, before they became a Chosen of Auril.

The Chosen of Auril has the following abilities:

One with the Elements (Su): The Chosen of Auril is treated as if he/she had a permanent Endure Elements effect, negating only the dangers posed by colder temperatures.
Mastery of Cold (Su): The Chosen of Auril can alter a spell when cast so that it utilizes a different element from the one it normally does. This ability can only alter spells with the acid, fire, electricity or sonic descriptors. The spell’s casting time is unaffected. The caster decides whether or not to alter the spell’s energy type when he/she begins casting. The Chosen of Auril can only change the element in a spell he/she casts to ‘Cold’.
Wintercalling(Su): Once per day, the Chosen of Auril can control the weather of an area, as per the Control Weather spell. The Chosen of Auril is limited to creating fog, sleet, frigid cold, blizzard or thaw conditions, however.
Sure Step (Su): The Chosen of Auril is considered under the effects of a Freedom of Movement spell when on snow and ice.
Overchannel : as the 14th level evocation school wizard ability Overchannel

Bonus Spells:
As cantrip- Ray of Frost
3/long rest– Cone of Cold, Zajimarn’s Ice Claw Prison (Ice Claw)**
1/long rest– Polar Ray**
1/Tenday- Zajimarn’s Avalanche (Obedient Avalanche)**

Immunities: A Chosen of Auril is immune to Poison and Disease. The Chosen receives a resistance to elemental attacks from cold. He/she is also immune to aging, does not age, and is effectively immortal.

Skills: A Chosen of Auril has advantage on Wis (survival) checks and Wis (perception) checks in cold conditions (fog, blizzards and the like)
Feats: A Chosen of Auril gains the Ambushand the Resilience feats
Abilities: set constitution to 19 CON
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil

**Not yet converted spells

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2015 :  20:44:01  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here follows the more customizable Magister template, a "Chosen" of Azuth.

Magister

Creating a Magister
The “Magister” is a template that can be added to any living arcane spellcaster. A Magister uses all the base character’s statistics and special abilities except as noted. A Magister only has its power at the will of Azuth, Mystra and Savras, and should they decide to remove the Chosen status from a character, he or she reverts to their former abilities, before they became a Magister.

Chosen of Azuth nominate condidates for becoming Magister, but only one Magister is in office at any time who is chosen from the candidates but forth by the Lord of Spells himself. Azuth also allows clever mages who best the Magister despite his blessing to claim the titel in an honest mageduel.

At the time a person accepts the power of the Magister, all beings capable of casting arcane spells feel a tremor in the Weave and know that the office has changed hands, although they do not know the identity of the new Magister. Simultaneously in all temples of Mystra, Azuth, and Savras, a manifestation of the symbol of the Magister appears, which then changes to the sigil of the person who has assumed the office. The apparition fades after 10 minutes. By Mystra's decree, her clergy cannot refuse to reveal the identity of the new Magister if a suitable payment is made (typically 10,000 gp worth of magic items). The Magister cannot be refused healing or a place to rest by a temple of Azuth, Mystra, or Savras.

The Magister has the following abilities:

Spellpurge (Su). When the character becomes the Magister, all existing curses, charms, and other spells and effects placed upon her by other people are removed. The new Magister is also offered an immediate teleport to a safe place where she can remain undisturbed for up to a tenday, learning more about the duties of the Magister. A new Magister succeeds all saves versus spells and spell-like effects and is under the effect of a a greater ironguard spell, although these protections fade after 1d4+3 months and nine days, respectively.

Mystra's Shield (Ex): The Magister is immune to all enchantment spells and effects and psionics, and gains +1 holy bonus on saving throws against all magical effects.

Magesight (Ex): A Magister's connection to the Weave allows her to sense wild magic or dead magic areas, spellcasting, gates, portals, and ongoing spell effects within 60 feet. These are sensed automatically without concentration, and magesight operates even when the Magister is unconscious (awakening the Magister if something new enters the range of her magesight).

Spell-Like Abilities: As cantrips - feather fall (automatic), levitate, read magic, true seeing; 6 per long rest - dimension door, water walk. A Magister can also cast one spell each of levels 1 through 9 as a spell-like ability once per long rest; these spells are selected when she takes the office and cannot be changed thereafter.

Mind Blank (Su): as a (mental) reaction, a Magister can make a save at +5 vs mind effecting spells to break their effects.

Spell Immunities (Su): The Magister is immune to one spell each of levels 1 through 9 and one cantrip. The spells are chosen when the Magister takes office and cannot be changed thereafter. She is also immune to all forms of magical writing (such as glyph of warding, explosive runes**, sepia snake sigil**, and symbol**), and her presence does not trigger their effects.

Magister's Step (Su): The Magister can step through any magical barrier of 6th level or lower as if it did not exist. This does not destroy the barrier; the Magister simply passes through it.

Name Attunement (Su): The Magister can hear her name or the title of the Magister spoken anywhere in the world, plus the next nine words spoken after it. She also gains an idea of the direction and distance of the speaker. Treat this. ability as a 9th-level divination effect.

The Magister's Sigil (Su): The Magister, like almost all powerful mages, has her own personal sigil, but can use the sigil of the Magister as well. Any other creature that writes the sigil of the Magister in a permanent manner (as opposed to tracing it in the air or on sand) must make two Will saving throws (DC 20 each) to negate a blindness and feeblemind (respectively) that last for ten days.

Rapid Preparation (Su): The Magister only needs 10 minutes to prepare spells instead of an hour.

Spell Resistance: The Magister add 1d4 to all saves versus spells.

Abilities: Same as the character

Skills: Because she can mentally draw upon a link to an archive of knowledge maintained by the deities of magic, the Magister gets double profinciency bonus on all intelligence (arcana) checks.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the character.

Organization: Same as the character.

Challenge Rating: Same as the character +4. The Magister is a powerful opponent backed by the magic of several deities.

Treasure: Same as the character.

Alignment: Same as the character.

Advancement: Same as the character.

**Not yet converted spells

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly