Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2017 :  08:26:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a surprise.

A little side-thing I started to go with another map I was working on - I wanted a 'central hub' type city in the area, and I found the perfect one to spruce-up. It was actually my second choice - I found out my first choice was destroyed in 4e (and I am pretty damn sure that one didn't 'go somewhere' (was hidden, etc.), and now I am glad things worked out this way. Another little spot I can call my own.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Dec 2017 08:26:44
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2017 :  21:09:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Update - I got a bit carried away labeling 'bodies of water'. I really wanted to keep the 5e campaign map as simple as possible. I've been at it for 2 days now, and I realize there WAS another reason I hadn't finished the map... because I HADN'T FINISHED THE MAP. lol

I never finished the detail around the areas with cliffs - Thay is a biggy. Working on that now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2017 :  07:48:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't contain all the info I wanted to po put on it - I only labeled a few major forests, and didn't get to any of the swamps or mountains, sadly. But for your viewing pleasure, my 5th edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Map.

You'll note I left 'remnants' of both the Deep Maw and the Lands mouth I feel that are 'additive' to the setting, not subtractive - there is no harm in having them there and they make the whole thing a lot more interesting. Also, as I mentioned about the 4e map, I drew the coasts and islands in such a way that you can save any and every settlement you want. That's up to you. I also labeled a few newer features, since this is 'my take'.

Republic of Halruaa - There was some discussion here about 'old Halruaans' not exactly seeing eye-to-eye with the 'returnees', so I picture it being a republic made-up of several, semi-autonomous regions. Despite its still somewhat 'blasted' appearance, every single settlement can still be placed so as to have survived (whether you want to say it went to Abeir or not). Its all about choices.

Dread Shaar Sea: Formerly (on my 4e map) known as the 'Dead Hin Sea', with the return of halflings to the region they felt a better name was in order. The 'Blood Lake' is part of the Sea - the original (canon) Blood Lake was near the new one, and got absorbed by the sea, but its not precisely where the old one was. This is NOT 'fudging' - this is in-setting; everyone is aware its not the same body of water any more - they just reused the name. And speaking of returning halflings...

Hillshire: Halflings have been returning to the region in droves since the waters receded. However, their old homeland is still mostly uninhabitable (see below). They have found the region just north of their former nation suitable, and they have managed to make amazing progress in just the past decade establishing themselves along the shore of the new inland sea.

Lost Lurien and the surrounding 'wild' regions: After the initial destruction of the spellplague, more than half the population of Lurien had perished, and nearly all the rest were left homeless. While the 'normal' Hin left for more stable regions, some decided to stay behind and try to cope. Ghostwise Hlaflings - driven into the forest of Amtar long ago by their brethren, returned to their ancient homeland, laying claim to the wastes they 'civilized' Hin no longer wanted. Others spread out into the Eastern Shaar, around the northern shore of the Dread Shaar Sea. These tribal hin had a way with taming beasts, and they managed to domesticate (somewhat) some of the Shaar Raptors. The last group is the strangest of all - rumor has it that somehow at least one group of halflings managed to survive after their settlements was submerged... by changing into Aquatic Hin (see 3e Unearthed Arcana). How this could have happened with magic running amok... or perhaps BECAUSE magic ran amok... is anyone's guess. Regardless, all of this Halflings are considered 'feral' by other Hin, and best avoided, if possible. There are even reports of cannibals, but the halflings are keeping this under-wraps as best as possible.

Var the Drowned: As in 2e, this is still no longer a nation. However, the sea water has receded and left swamps, marshes, and bogs in its wake. The area has become infested with were-crocodiles and lizardmen sent from Okoth. There are also now yuan-ti in the area, although the Sarrukh have no idea where they've come from (they've traveled up through the Utter East from Mahasarpa). There are also a number of other swamp-loving creatures in the region, including at least one young black dragon.

Durpar got hit pretty hard - most of the best ports in the nation were in the western half, and all of that became a muddy mess in 4e, and ships could not get through. The capitol was moved to Heldapan - the next largest port unaffected by the Spellplague. Most of western Durpar became abandoned, including the few ports on the southern coast, both because of the changed terrain, and because of the growing monster populations to the west. Now that the geography has been turned back to something fairly normal (pre-4e), there is talk about resettling the western end of the country, and moving the capitol back to Vaelan, but they will be needing heroes to clear the areas.

Estagund briefly split into feuding citystates as it was in the past, and during the 'lost century' parts of it even began calling itself Gundavar again (probably due to the survivors of flooded Var fleeing west and swelling the populations of most settlements to nearly double). The great grandson of the last Rajah has managed to reaffirm control into a centralized government, is making sure everyone is calling it Estagund, and even lays claim to all the region of Var (not that anyone cares, since he doesn't have the power to make good on his claim). With monsters to the east and north, and 'strange hin' to the west, the Rajah has his hands full just maintaining control of what he currently has.

Veldorn & the Beastlands: For a time, Veldorn became 'the Beastlands', because the weak semblance of any sort of state-structure completely fell apart during the Lost Century. The only reason why nearby human populations survived at all is because the monsters were more focused on killing each other for a time. Since the Sundering, things have calmed-down around the Golden Waters and in the Curna Mountains, and the vampires (and others) have managed to gain a much firmer hand on their territory than in previous centuries. In fact, they even have a port now on the Golden Waters (they are trying to hire experienced tradesmen to rebuild the destroyed dock-areas, but they've gotten very few takers). However, to the west and north, the wilder monsters continue to roam unchecked, controlled by no-one (at least not for very long), and these areas are still labeled 'The Beastlands'.

Dambrath: During the spellplague years the controlling drow city of T'lindhet 'went dark' (it is still unknown what is going on with them), and without their support, the Crinti (half-drow) were driven from their lands by the native Dambrathi. Most Crinti moved north into the Forest of Amtar, into the regions being vacated by the Ghostwise Hin (who were themselves now migrating back into devastated Luiren). However, toward the end of the Lost century peace overtures were made by the Crinti, and in the past decade many have been able to move back into Dambrath (on the condition they forswear any allegiance to the drow or their goddess Lolth - many worship Loviatar now), so long as they promise to serve at least part-time in the military. Its widely believed that the Dambrathi fear the strange, returning (and none-too-friendly) Halruaans, and they were willing to make a deal with the 'devil they know'. Thus far, the Crinti appear to behaving themselves. Some sages speculate that the treatment the Crinti received first at the hands of the vengeful Dambrathi and then by the Wild Elves of Amtar (for a century!) taught a valuable lesson in humility to the once-haughty females.

Serpentes survived for the most part, although the jungles are even further divided than before. Several new cities from Abeir have appeared along the coasts, and even a few settlements inland (see my future project of merging Laerakond with the Chultan peninsula), but the Yuan-ti merely look at this as an opportunity to infiltrate and dominate human culture even further (although the 'dragon kings' give them pause). What they do find troubling is the appearances of new Sarrukh ruins, which seem to be in much better shape than most of the previous ruins. This has lead to some of the tribal leaders to speculate on whether Sarrukh culture had survived even longer on Abeir, and if it still may in some form, and they are trying to figure out ways that they might be able to travel to the 'other world'.

Samarach had been nearly completely flooded when the Spellplague hit, killing all the inhabitants. At least that's what people thought. The map isn't quite accurate in the region since the waters have receded quite a bit, and there were many survivors in the mountains. They've also been joined by tribal peoples from 'elsewhere' - some arrived during the Spellplague, while others came later, perhaps even dumped on the shore by Amnian ships. Some of these new arrivals even showed up with their own odd stone settlements and customs, and there are said to be new ruins in the jungles as well. The natives have managed to make the best of it, and are staying 'low key' for now - they like that people from outside think there country is still underwater, and to that end they do not allow visitors anywhere but the port of New Samargol (for trade) on the western border of the country. Outsiders asking too many questions about the rest of the Samarach find themselves knocked over the head and on the next boat out (which occasionally means in the hold of a Zakharan Corsair slave ship).

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Dec 2017 08:06:45
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2017 :  14:15:49  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I going to take this as your Christmas present to us. Thanks, Markustay.

Now, its time to put some cities in there...

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2017 :  17:53:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I had not realized the really vast difference between 2e and 3e for where the landrise and great rift's easternmost tips differed so much. I may have to fudge on my version of Peleveran to give the rift more room. Guessing as well that if I go with the theory that there wasn't so much a collapse to make the underchasm as there was a transfer, then a lot more dwarves were around in the "transferred" shaar (not that it will affect my ideas much, other than them having more neighbors... and ones with decent engineering skills, so a bonus).

Love the Luiren ideas. I would personally specify something myself that the raptors in the shaar are transfers from Abeir. So, they've only been "raptor wrangling" for a few years.

On the Crintri, I'm going a similar destination, but a different path. It will be a showdown of the malar worshipping human males of Dambrath versus the Crintri (who are a bit less sexist) following Kiga the Predator.... two hunter deities... two "chosen" people... two enter, one will be subjugated.

On the Dread Shaar Sea, its kind of big, but I like the concept. What's the premise for its formation and staying around? Just drainoff from the toadsquat mountains. I like it mainly because it isolates the Hillshire halfling community your setting up. Were there to be some surface gnome community somewhere nearby, we could start calling the southern lands "the Shortening South".... speaking of which, if I did send Var to Abeir and have it return filled with gnomes

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2017 :  18:37:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't bother with the settlements because I figured I would eventually get to this region with my main mapping project, and I'll never get back to that if I don't start setting limits on these 'in-between' projects.

You'll note that in a lot of places where the waters receded I added swamps (not just in Var) - I figure there is nothing wrong with leaving some interesting bits lying around for people to fiddle with.

Anyhow, YES, indeed, I purposely posted this ON Christmas (with maybe and hour or two to spare LOL). I tried to have three done, but alas, it just wasn't happening. Hopefully I will have at least one of the other two done by New Year's.

The Dragonscar: (unfortunately) not labeled on the map, the site of the old Dragonwall separating Shou Lung from The Taan (Hordelands) region has become a deep canyon traversing most of the border. The Dragonwall had hidden (for the most part) the fact that the Taan itself was one vast plateau, tapering-off to the west (there are cliffs all along the Inner Sea in Mulhorand) and to the north (the Bay of Raum sits in a vast 'bowl'), with another sudden decline to the south of the Dustwall Mountains and to the SW of the Giant's Belt range. Imaskar, quite literally, existed 'above' everyone else. The Dragonwall had sat all along the cliff-face that ran between the two regions, which really wasn't all that evident except form the Shou side. A mere 20' tall at its lowest points (at hilltops), but averaging about 30' overall, the old wall looked far more impressive from the shou side, where the 100' cliffs added to its grandeur and made the wall seem like an 'artifact of the gods' (ramparts were built up to the two main gates, and many towers had ladders and stairs added to them over the years on the Shou Lung side). When the Dragonwall imploded (when the wave of Cerulean energy passed over it during the Spellplague), the resulting earthquakes were felt as far away as the Shou capitol of Kao Te'Lung in the east and Thay and Mulhorand to the west. The active volcanic range of the Firepeaks and Sentinelspire were both caused to erupt, and lava flowed and spilled eastward at an incredibly rate, mostly pouring into the new canyon (creating a 'river of lava' for a time), but at one narrow section - where the land had a sleight incline - the lava flowed in an arc across the gap. While most still fell into the crevasse, some began to harden in place, and over the course of the five years the lava flowed a natural bridge of immense proportions was formed.

Dwarves from several realms swarmed to the region (once things had cooled-down) and began to hollow-out sections of the porous rock, while reinforcing others. Over time, this became the bridge-city of Grūlthanc (arc-bridge), which is nominally under the jurisdiction of Shou-Lung (in truth, the dwarves merely give a small percentage of 'crossing fees' to the Shou, while allowing the Shou to maintain an embassy and tariff-collecting station within the structure). Going around the obstacle to the far north to avoid taxes, etc., was never a good idea, not even when the Dragonwall still existed - there had always been fierce tribes in that region near the ama Basin. In recent years, many of those human tribes have been eradicated, enslaved, or driven-out by bands of humanoids ruled by Wang-Liang (Ogre Magi), trying to reestablish their own ancient empire (I had a name for this - I need to look back through the old K-T thread).

A view of the old wall - the lands to the left side were rolling hills that spread into the Endless Wastes, while a steep drop to the right side (east) shows the once hard-to-see difference in altitude between the low-lying flatlands of Kara-Tur and the high tablelands of The Taan to the west.

Sentinelspire: The Fortress of the Old man was completely destroyed when the volcano erupted, but this would not be the first time in some years disaster has struck the Assassin's guild. After the events of the novel Sentinelspire, the assassins (formerly of Bhaal by now paying lip-service to Cyric) broadened their base of operations, locating their main headquarters in Murghōm, with smaller satellite bases in both Grūlthanc (the arc-bridge) and Almorel. Some progress was made during the Lost century to clear some of the debris from their old fortress, mostly in hopes of finding much of the treasure and a good number of magical items they had lost, and to cover their true intentions they reestablished a 'training grounds' (assassin school) within the lava-encrusted freed portions of the old fortress. Cyric basically ignored these people, as is his wont, and toward the tail-end of the Plague years another power began to assert dominance within the ranks of the guild - a strange, and frightfully beautiful goddess with four arms. However, when Bhaal returned during Ao's Sundering, he quickly moved to take back control of his temple and guild, killing anyone who refused to switch from other gods who had 'horned in' on his turf in his absence. While sentinelspire still remains mostly destroyed, it is a major temple to Bhaal once again, and he happily controls the newer bases that were built as well. The assassins are trying to make alliances within The Fist - the Shou underworld organization that has spread into Faerūn's major cities, but they are meeting with some resistance to these efforts (The Fist have their own assassins, plus they don't want a 'foreign god' anywhere near their gangs).

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Dec 2017 18:41:13
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2017 :  20:57:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not going to write-up the canal in the Azulduth, since I've already talked about it elsewhere. Short version: Controlled and built by Shou Lung, and it supposed to be handed-over to Mulhorand after one century. That deadline is coming up and it doesn't look like the Shou are going anywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hmmm, I had not realized the really vast difference between 2e and 3e for where the landrise and great rift's easternmost tips differed so much. I may have to fudge on my version of Peleveran to give the rift more room. Guessing as well that if I go with the theory that there wasn't so much a collapse to make the underchasm as there was a transfer, then a lot more dwarves were around in the "transferred" shaar (not that it will affect my ideas much, other than them having more neighbors... and ones with decent engineering skills, so a bonus).
Yeah, they really changed things in the south pretty bad (someone must have truly hated the 'emptiness' of The Shaar). But now that we got all that land back, I figure I'd make good use of it (like the new sea).

quote:

Love the Luiren ideas. I would personally specify something myself that the raptors in the shaar are transfers from Abeir. So, they've only been "raptor wrangling" for a few years.
Well, there were supposed to be various 'dino-types' in the Shaar, but I suppose that maybe some 'partially domesticated' Velociraptors came over (and obviously I lifted this whole-cloth from Eberron, but we can always say there was a group of Eberron-like Halflings in Abeir as well). The 'cannibals' thing can be either rumor or truth - I stole that part from Athasian halflings (I'm thinking the few survivors who decided to try to make a go of it - they've gone crazy up in the mountains). Should I name them the 'Donner' Tribe?

quote:

On the Crintri, I'm going a similar destination, but a different path. It will be a showdown of the malar worshipping human males of Dambrath versus the Crintri (who are a bit less sexist) following Kiga the Predator.... two hunter deities... two "chosen" people... two enter, one will be subjugated.
I, ummm.. have my own ideas. Those crinti were mostly females (there were never many males, and nearly all of those were left to fight a 'rearguard action' while the females retreated, when the Dambrathi rose up). They got to the forest of Amtar, thinking, "we're elves... we'll be fine". They weren't. they 'snapped'. The Wild Elves (and what Ghostwise that did not leave to join the others headed for 'Lost Lurien') harried them mercilessly for a century. Between the beat-down they got when they were chased-off, and the constant abuse and outright killings of many of their numbers from Amtar threats (it got to the point where even lowly tasloi were harassing them!), they become... submissive. Disturbingly so. YES, its my damn world and I can have a little pervy fun if I want!
The real fun happens if and when real drow come across this arrangement. It will be a major mind-twister for them. I do like the Kiga vs Malar thing - I may use that as well (Malar for Dambrathi wanting to 'go back to their barbarian roots' makes perfect sense). If I spin Kiga as a dark aspect of Baast, my ideas will work alongside yours (and now I have crinti catgirls... I've been watching WAY too much anime).

quote:

On the Dread Shaar Sea, its kind of big, but I like the concept. What's the premise for its formation and staying around? Just drainoff from the toadsquat mountains. I like it mainly because it isolates the Hillshire halfling community your setting up. Were there to be some surface gnome community somewhere nearby, we could start calling the southern lands "the Shortening South".... speaking of which, if I did send Var to Abeir and have it return filled with gnomes
Well, I had stolen a good chunk of the Shaar to try to make the terrible 4e (canon) map still work within the framework of the new/old geography layout (you'll note that the 4e maps were sadly based on the 'warped' 3e maps). You can see what I had to do HERE. I just figured that so much water poured in that it wouldn't just 'go away', despite Ao's best efforts (and it wasn't high on his priorities, either). If and when we get a 6e, I would make it even smaller - unless there is a lot of clay or some type of bedrock under there, that water is going to leech-off eventually. It is also saltwater, BTW. I probably should have mentioned that - it connects several saltwater bodies. It's got some 'lake monsters' (plesiosaurs), probably also from Abeir. Plus, its not like anyone was evert using that spot for anything anyway. The Castle of Al'Hanar - if I go by the FRIA maps - falls out near the middle of the water, but if I use the 3e (SS) maps, it would be right below the old Blood Lake, which is that right-side 'horn' sticking north in the sea (I did that on purpose - that 'bump-out' IS the old Blood Lake), which means it could be on one of those tiny islets, or even on the large island there. HOWEVER, if I use the most basic description from the 4e FRCG, it says the damn thing is in the Toadsquat Mountains (3e SS just says it south of the Sharawood, which probably works best). So, you can place it wherever it works for you - even in the swamp I put along the northern coast (castles of undead inside swamps is always fun, if a bit tropey). Personally, I like the (arrowhead shaped) island just below the Sharawood - it needs to remain near the Sharawood for the lore to still work (3e/4e squashed the terrain so the Toadsquat Mountains location no longer works). Just for shiggles, we can say there is ANOTHER castle in that area - those mountains below the (new) Blood Lake and to the right of those two rivers (that look like they should meet, but don't). That smaller and separate clump has its own name BTW - the Thrulaliel Mountains. Just say there is anther ruin/dungeon there and people always got the two mixed up (that fixes lore for all editions).

EDIT: And to make it even more fun, make that one a southern outpost of the Cult of the Dragon, so if adventurers (like your poor PCs) get the two mixed up, they will go there thinking they are going to find a bunch of dracolich-hating deathknights, and instead find a bunch of dracolich-loving, living crazy cultists.

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Dec 2017 21:10:23
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2017 :  21:57:20  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not mean for you tu put those settlements. But I was waiting this map for use it in a project I perhaps will never use (lol), to update the Old Empires area. And perhaps even my version of Halruaa.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  00:16:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I know. I am just explaining why I'm not bothering (aside from me knowing you and others were planning on using this as a base for your own stuff).

I meant to put a white 'glow' around the pinkish text... my bad. If I update this at all (I may label some more forests), I'll do that. I just completely screwed up that text layer though, and I'm not sure how to fix it (I added another layer at full opacity to the layer which was 60%, which sets the whole layer back to 100%, so now I can't darken the text at all - its stuck that way). Maybe... I might be able to fuge things with a fill layer.

EDIT: I probably will release a better version - there was a couple of other things I forgot to do - the forests are blending (visually) too much with the new 'rolling hills' terrain type (the olive color). And yes, my idea above worked, but not perfectly - even the fill-layer retained the opacity. I managed to merge a few like that to get it almost 100% again.

Tharsult Islands: This one's a bit complex, but not really. When I was doing my 'Abeir-in-Chult' conversion map (Coming soon!) I nuked Tharsult and turned it into the Minrothad Guilds (from Mystara),mostly because we don't know much about Tharsult, other than ist weird currency and some ancient lizardmen lore/ruins. I figured the Minrothad guilds would be a nice way to flesh the place out (I still do). However, I decided that was a bit much for a conversion - I was over-stepping even the weirdness of the Spellplague and Sundering. Hence, the newer solution - the map is still reminiscent of the Minrothad Guilds, but not quite the same, and I kept the main island of Tharsult, but broke it in two. They were hit pretty hard by the Spellplague, and now you can do whatever you want with the place (not that you couldn't before - I just made it a wee bit more interesting).

Here's my take - Tharsult was hit hard... REALLY hard. The island was cut in half, and most of the subterranean lizardmen areas (I'm thinking they were actually troglodytes) were completely flooded. Something also exploded, creating a large crevasse that the sea rushed into, and thus the two separate halves we have today. A bunch of smaller islands appeared around it - part of the Thadite Confederacy from Abeir. The Thadians were craftsmen and traders extraordinaire on Abeir, knowing far more about the rest of the world than any other people, and knowledge in itself is a valuable commodity. Only about half their islands transferred to Toril, much to their chagrin. Although most of Faerūn believes Tharsult quickly annexed the new islands, the opposite is closer to the truth; while the islands were shaken and suffered some losses (mostly ships that were away from port), Tharsult was devastated, and widespread famine was beginning to claim the survivors. Moving quickly as only a fine-tuned merchant marine could, they delivered much-needed supplies to the Tharsultans and even helped them begin the rebuilding. In exchange, they demanded that THEY would now be in charge of the new Tharsult archipelago, to which the thankful Tharsultans easily agreed. Another thing the Thadians did was move to claim the two large islands near the coast - neither had been part of their group back on Abeir, and they learned that they appeared at the same time their own islands did. They managed to land on and claim the north-eastern island, but the Lapaliiyans seized the one closer to their coast, in apprehension of hat these newcomers were all about. Both islands contain odd, and extremely ancient, non-human (inhuman?) ruins of a type never seen before by the Abeirans or Torillians. The few learned scholars (from Candlekeep and elsewhere) that have been allowed to study them cannot place them in any known civilization, even while comparing them to planer and Arcane Space resources.

One odd thing - some Yuan-ti from nearby Serpentes had managed to travel to one of the islands in secret, and had their scout-artists draw perfect renditions of the ruins (including some strange glyphs), and then brought these to their Sarrukh 'betters' to see if any information could be had. The one Sarrukh Elder willing to meet with them took one look at the drawings, and eyes wide with fright, ran from the chamber. This, of course, is only known to the Yuan-ti, and even then, just one tribe (who are trying to figure out what to make of the odd reaction, and how best to put it to their advantage).

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Dec 2017 00:19:37
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  00:19:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm not going to write-up the canal in the Azulduth, since I've already talked about it elsewhere. Short version: Controlled and built by Shou Lung, and it supposed to be handed-over to Mulhorand after one century. That deadline is coming up and it doesn't look like the Shou are going anywhere.

quote:

Yeah, they really changed things in the south pretty bad (someone must have truly hated the 'emptiness' of The Shaar). But now that we got all that land back, I figure I'd make good use of it (like the new sea).

quote:

Well, there were supposed to be various 'dino-types' in the Shaar, but I suppose that maybe some 'partially domesticated' Velociraptors came over (and obviously I lifted this whole-cloth from Eberron, but we can always say there was a group of Eberron-like Halflings in Abeir as well). The 'cannibals' thing can be either rumor or truth - I stole that part from Athasian halflings (I'm thinking the few survivors who decided to try to make a go of it - they've gone crazy up in the mountains). Should I name them the 'Donner' Tribe?

quote:

I, ummm.. have my own ideas. Those crinti were mostly females (there were never many males, and nearly all of those were left to fight a 'rearguard action' while the females retreated, when the Dambrathi rose up). They got to the forest of Amtar, thinking, "we're elves... we'll be fine". They weren't. they 'snapped'. The Wild Elves (and what Ghostwise that did not leave to join the others headed for 'Lost Lurien') harried them mercilessly for a century. Between the beat-down they got when they were chased-off, and the constant abuse and outright killings of many of their numbers from Amtar threats (it got to the point where even lowly tasloi were harassing them!), they become... submissive. Disturbingly so. YES, its my damn world and I can have a little pervy fun if I want!
The real fun happens if and when real drow come across this arrangement. It will be a major mind-twister for them. I do like the Kiga vs Malar thing - I may use that as well (Malar for Dambrathi wanting to 'go back to their barbarian roots' makes perfect sense). If I spin Kiga as a dark aspect of Baast, my ideas will work alongside yours (and now I have crinti catgirls... I've been watching WAY too much anime).

quote:

Well, I had stolen a good chunk of the Shaar to try to make the terrible 4e (canon) map still work within the framework of the new/old geography layout (you'll note that the 4e maps were sadly based on the 'warped' 3e maps). You can see what I had to do HERE. I just figured that so much water poured in that it wouldn't just 'go away', despite Ao's best efforts (and it wasn't high on his priorities, either). If and when we get a 6e, I would make it even smaller - unless there is a lot of clay or some type of bedrock under there, that water is going to leech-off eventually. It is also saltwater, BTW. I probably should have mentioned that - it connects several saltwater bodies. It's got some 'lake monsters' (plesiosaurs), probably also from Abeir. Plus, its not like anyone was evert using that spot for anything anyway. The Castle of Al'Hanar - if I go by the FRIA maps - falls out near the middle of the water, but if I use the 3e (SS) maps, it would be right below the old Blood Lake, which is that right-side 'horn' sticking north in the sea (I did that on purpose - that 'bump-out' IS the old Blood Lake), which means it could be on one of those tiny islets, or even on the large island there. HOWEVER, if I use the most basic description from the 4e FRCG, it says the damn thing is in the Toadsquat Mountains (3e SS just says it south of the Sharawood, which probably works best). So, you can place it wherever it works for you - even in the swamp I put along the northern coast (castles of undead inside swamps is always fun, if a bit tropey). Personally, I like the (arrowhead shaped) island just below the Sharawood - it needs to remain near the Sharawood for the lore to still work (3e/4e squashed the terrain so the Toadsquat Mountains location no longer works). Just for shiggles, we can say there is ANOTHER castle in that area - those mountains below the (new) Blood Lake and to the right of those two rivers (that look like they should meet, but don't). That smaller and separate clump has its own name BTW - the Thrulaliel Mountains. Just say there is anther ruin/dungeon there and people always got the two mixed up (that fixes lore for all editions).

EDIT: And to make it even more fun, make that one a southern outpost of the Cult of the Dragon, so if adventurers (like your poor PCs) get the two mixed up, they will go there thinking they are going to find a bunch of dracolich-hating deathknights, and instead find a bunch of dracolich-loving, living crazy cultists.

On the Crintri "cat girls" .... don't think of them specifically as just cats. Think of them as Crintri "hunters with beast companions". So, the females always had an affinity for horses, and that should continue, with them using horses to hunt down their prey. However, they should also have "beasts" that hunt with them. That may be hawks, falcons, . That may be panthers, cheetahs, lions, tigers, bobcats, wolves, mastiffs, Dobermans, hounds, etc... It could also be giant weasels, dire animals, dinosaurs, sabertooth tigers, mammoths, etc...

Also, think of the women as following the "great cat lifestyle", wherein they are aggressive hunters who seek to please their mates by hunting for them. The males however aren't sitting around, as they are training, plotting, and guiding the young while the women do the "day to day" killing. So, in this version, the females are still very aggressive, but in a different way. The males are also now just as much a part of things, just in a different way.

Oh, and what I'm doing with my Crintri is actually having it be that there were three Dambrathii princesses with entourages trying to prove "who is the best" to their Queen mother by each gathering herds of stallions in the Shaar. I plan to have each of these Crintri females go in a different direction. One becomes an adherent to Kiga the Predator (since Loviatar is not in Abeir) and wants to retake Dambrath.
Another becomes an adherent to Inanna (and serves temporarily as her weakened avatar in a battle against Karshimis the primordial, along with another chessentan human serving as a weakened avatar of Ramman). This Crintri princess actually gets along with the wild elves in the chondalwood and the drow (who worshipped Eilistraee) both in the chondalwood and in the underdark city of Vaerndoun beneath the chondalwood (she also enslaves the drow who DON'T worship Eilistraee down in Vaerndoun). She and the Chessentan male retake Akanax fall in love and turn Akanax into a human, elf, half-elf, half-drow, drow, centaur, wemic paradise for warriors. (I'll also note here that Vaerndoun was known for having held a holy relic of Talos, which will add some mystery about WHO Ramman is... i.e. is he Talos? is he Ramman? is he Thor? is he actually some other Untheric deity with a penchant for lightning?). She'll have already broken ties with the tharch (as far as rulership, but they were still allies against Shyr).
The last crintri princess, I'm having her full on arcanist and interested in magic. She actually LIKES the red wizards and their politics. She doesn't want a goddess controlling her life... and since the red wizards have taken to enslaving drow... she likes having her own harem.

On the Castle of Al'hanar, I hated that in 4e they "destroyed the death knights". I think it would be great if they went to Abeir as well... and maybe when I'm setting up Ereshkigal as a new death goddess, they can choose to join the new tharch. This can setup that once they return to Toril, one of the things that THEY want to do is recapture their castle. That's one of the big things that I want to do with this Peleveran thing. I have a bunch of factions that started to work together, and did so VERY well while on Abeir..... but now that they're suddenly home its like "herding cats" because they're all wanting to look into where they or their ancestors used to live. Also, some of these folk were able to work together on Abeir because they had a common background, even if ethically they didn't normally see eye to eye.... but now tensions can result, because not everyone in the tharch WANTS to be evil.... in fact, some actually LIKE being good.

Edited by - sleyvas on 27 Dec 2017 01:00:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  02:26:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't realized it had been destroyed - the very tiny entry in the RealmsWIKI doesn't say anything (and I hadn't bothered to follow the source... which I just now did).

As I said above, its easily reconcilable - thats NOT the fortress everyone thought it was. If you compare the 3e/4e placement of the place to earlier versions, they aren't even all that near each other; according to my own map(s), the two locations are around 250 miles apart! I'd just respin it so that the Dracolich's minions (being mindless undead and stupid monsters) attacked an outpost of the Cult of the Dragon instead (which is totally ironic). Seems he gave them the wrong map.

THAT keep is now a ghost-haunted ruin. The real keep is located on that island (or wherever near there you want) south of the Sharawood.

Also, because I just had to go and look up the reference, I became aware of other things in that area, like the Blackfeather Barrens of the Kenku (where the Beastlands used to be in 1e, on a plateau around the western end of the Curna Mts.). In fact, I should probably put that plateau back as well (although I left out a LOT of cliffs - I'd be there forever, otherwise - they'll be on the smaller regional maps). If you look at my old Hordlenads map hosted here at the 'Keep you'll see the plateau. So, yeah... LOTS of monsters in the region. The western end of the Golden Waters is mostly abandoned (by humans and humankin) because of that. Too bad the new passage to the Alamber passes through that region (and some of the 'Beast Lords' even have set-up tax stations, which tend not to last long - most of the ships passing that way come from Zakhara and they refuse to pay 'monsters' bribe money). Usually these tax stations take the form of logs and other debris pied in the river, blocking it, but a couple of ambitious types have set up chains a time or two. The last thing Lord Saed (of Old Vaelen) wants is for the Zakharan sultan to declare 'holy war' on the region - the Zakharans are NOT picky and will kill EVEYONE in the area, even humans. Thus, he tries to minimize the problems with the river route whenever possible, and even manages to keep up an amicable 'exchange' with certain parties in Durpar (the 4e Guide even hints at that). Another wild-card problem is the recently returned Fomorian kingdom of Nacmoran (another thing I need to place on that map) in the eastern Curnas, which is making the Iron Eye Goblin tribe (allies to both the Beastlands and Durpar {House datharathi}) of the western Curnas VERY nervous. Even the Kenku on the Blackfeather Barrens plateau are worried. All are praying the Fomorians don't indiscriminately start attacking Zakharan shipping. The Raksasha of Tirumala (also in the Curna Mts.) have repeatedly tried to enter into negotiations with the Fomorians, to no avail. They thus far sent three emissaries with full entourages, and none have been heard from (Raksasha are not used to being treated this way, and aren't sure what to do).

In other words, a POWDER KEG in the Golden Waters, with the badly weakened Estagund and Durpar, along with the new Hin realm of Hillshire, being the only Human(ish) presence left in the area. Ulgarth remains strong, and is in fact stronger than ever (they may be planning something big against whats left of Durpar - the last Princess of Thommar married the King of Ulgarth some 130 years ago, to keep any more of her once-proud realm from falling into Durpari hands. The Ulgarthi - especially those in the northern region that used to be Thommar - have LONG memories.

The Shou holding the canal up in the the Lake of Salt are also concerned about the waterways remaining clear - they make quite a bit of revenue from the canal, and having the southern end of the route closed for any reason would be... unfortunate. The Shou emperor is considering contacting the Zakharan Sultan about an alliance - an alliance to wipe-out everyone in the Golden Waters region and split the territory between them. That would leave the kingdoms of the Utter East (and Ulgarth) in a rather precarious situation (its not like the Sultan wouldn't want to physically connect his holdings together). Just about everyone involved is waiting for the next shoe (Shou?) to drop. A group of adventures could really tip the balance and set things off to the point where the situation moves well beyond their control.*

And then there is the return of the Queen of Tides in Parsanic...

*EDIT: Adventure Hook -
Saed contacts the adventurers discreetly, wishing to act against his fellow Beast Lords in regards to protecting the water routes. His need for secrecy is extreme - the other Lords trust him implicitly, and the whole 'Veldorn Alliance' could collapse around him if any were to find out. This means he would have to contact the group through third parties himself (parties that he would then kill later), and if he had to meet them in person, he would do so outside his home city of Old Vaelen (in disguise, naturally). Of course he plans on killing them as well, after they foil the plans of his 'friends'. The other thing is the Datharathi of Durpar are completely aware of all this (those are Saed's 'secret allies'), so getting help from that direction may prove easier than the PCs expect. It also means Saed might be able to be able to get to the PCs much easier when its time for the double-cross.

The main problem-area is the equally ancient city of Xiltor, which sits at the fork of the Liontongue and Madras Rivers. Beholders rule Xiltor, and the Liontongue River passes by (and the tributary River Madras through) their city, and they have set up chains and other ways of stopping ships. They don't just want tariifs, either. They want slaves. This is what Saed is worried about.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Dec 2017 02:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  03:42:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a recap, because the thread is moving along so quickly - I finished (mostly) a map!

quote:

It doesn't contain all the info I wanted to po put on it - I only labeled a few major forests, and didn't get to any of the swamps or mountains, sadly. But for your viewing pleasure, my 5th edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Map.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  04:20:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Markustay. Can you please up an unlabeled version of the Old Empires' and Halruaa's area? The text is getting in the way for some stuff.

I have to say it. I do like that you have left Mulhorand's blasted coast. My logic sense was loathe to "repair" the land because reasons.

Though, why do you called Unther "Untheria"? (seems do you have plans for the area as well).

quote:

On the Castle of Al'hanar, I hated that in 4e they "destroyed the death knights". I think it would be great if they went to Abeir as well...

You can have both. The death knights were destroyed. Nominally. A few survived and went into hiding. They found a portal to Abeir (as part of their escape or years later), crossed the portal and found out it was a one way gate. So, they were forced to live in Abeir for a while. And now, they have returned...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 27 Dec 2017 04:22:53
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  14:36:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

quote:

On the Castle of Al'hanar, I hated that in 4e they "destroyed the death knights". I think it would be great if they went to Abeir as well...

You can have both. The death knights were destroyed. Nominally. A few survived and went into hiding. They found a portal to Abeir (as part of their escape or years later), crossed the portal and found out it was a one way gate. So, they were forced to live in Abeir for a while. And now, they have returned...

This is kind of where I was going, though not a willing transfer. Basically, one of the things we tend to picture with these transfers is that they were all or nothing. Whole countries transferred, or they didn't. Whole cities transferred, or they didn't. Most of what I've been presuming is kind of the opposite. A lot of the ruins left behind are because only part of a city transferred. Some of this caused collapses, etc... whole sections may have collapsed beneath the ocean because the supporting ground went to Abeir.

This may have happened with the Castle of Al'hanar. Maybe half the castle went to Abeir (the occupied half maybe), whereas the outlying guard towers, stables, smithy, etc... That being said, I guess in a castle full of death knights and skeleton warriors, they don't need to sleep or eat, so the typical reasons for them to gather as a group are gone. Guess they could have all been practicing on the training grounds. But, basically, the portion of the keep that was presumed to have "fallen into the sea/Gulf of Luiren" may have just transferred to Abeir, and thus the shattered nature of the keep.

Oh, and since I'm chatting up my ideas for the region, I am intending to have Var "gone to and returned from Abeir". However, much like what I was talking about with the three countries of the Chultan peninsula, having this area come back but with monsters filling the land works best for me. It would be similar in nature to the Beastlands/Veldorn, but it would NOT be allied to them. The people who survived in Var's cities I'll also have either retreating to Ulgarth or Peleveran or the Great Rift (giving all an additional population boost).

Also, since Ulgarth is only mentioned once in the 4e FRCS, and nothing said about its status, and nothing shown on the maps, I'm thinking that large portions of it could have transferred, as well as large portions of eastern Durpar. If one looks at the 4e map, the Durpari cities of Heldapan, Seldazzar, Sandrun, Pharsul, Morvar as well as a nearby mountain near Pharsul, and the Ajmer forest... none of that is present in 4e (granted the maps don't extend that far, but...). Also, the island that Tannath was on isn't present. So, basically, this could become one unified people.... and we're not talking small communities either. Heldapan was the largest community of Durpar. Morvar was at least 20k and had a rich racial mix (elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, mix-breeds, etc...).

If we also drag over some of the corsairs of the great sea and have them ally with Ulgarth... we can have a decent Persian with Viking mix that's perhaps been trading and raiding the surrounding people of Abeir for the last century, but that still has a rich and fertile land at home as well.

From the 4e FRCS, the only reference I see to Ulgarth in 4e
The Beastlands
The Beastlands derive their name primarily from the monster-infested remains of the lost kingdom of Veldorn. Still, most northerners lump Durpar, Estagund, and Ulgarth under the same appellation. Even the more civilized lands of the region are filled with bizarre sights unheard of in the north, such as Durpari replacing their natural limbs with magically animate crystal. The birdlike kenkus have become prominent in the region’s larger settlements.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  18:46:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are going to ship them to Abeir, I would have the Eminence of Araunt involved somehow.

I don't want to post an unlabled map on DeviantART, but if you PM me your Email I can send it that way.

As for Untheria - I don't know. As I was labeling the Old Empires, I typed just 'Unther' first, and I was like, "Unther sucks". LOL
It does. It was supposed to be a mighty empire in the past, just like Mulhorand, but with Mulhorand we saw evidence of that. With Unther, all we did was see it get its arse kicked for 3 editions. Something hit the back of my brain like an itch i couldn't scratch - that the people of Unther may not want to be known as 'the same old unther', because, well, THEY SUCKED.

Thus, they've 'rebranded' themselves. Its not the same old Unther - this is a 'new & improved' Untheria... with retsin... and electrolytes. It was really just an artistic choice - Unther just rubs me the wrong way, and so much has changed in the OE that it just makes sense to me that they would want to 'arise from the ashes' as something different this time. Not that they are much different - they just want people to think they are.

I've already been made aware of some spelling errors, and I forgot to label some stuff, and I want to label more forests, and maybe some mountains, plus I want to play with the 'region' labels a bit more. Expect a New Year's update.

Deepwater: This should be self-explanatory. The 'realm' of Deepwater is the official (non-canon) name of the demesne that Waterdeep controls/patrols. I hate when a city and a realm have the same name (same for island realms that have more than one island, like Lantan) - its confusing, and so I did that so we can refer to them as the two different things they are.

Mirabrūth: Same goes for this realm surrounding Mirabar. Mirabar claims all those lands, and has mines all over the place (and also smaller settlements in the area). Dwarves don't normally name their surface lands differently - usually they just use the 'Hold' name for everything, but Mirabar is different than most, and has been a 'surface' realm' for a very long time. they would have taken to human conventions where this is concerned (its much easier to lay legal claims to an area if you actually have a name for them, rather than, "All the lands within 50 miles of...")

How do people feel about what I did to Tharsult? I wanted to create some drama there - a group of Abeirans 'taking over' a Torillian realm, and maybe even giving powers like Sembia and Amn a run for their money.

Can't believe I forgot to label Erlakazr...

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Dec 2017 19:25:39
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2017 :  22:04:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unlabeled Version

Its also been tweaked a bit - I'm in the process of improving it.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2018 :  01:00:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Maztica WIP

Read the notes under it for questions. I also posted it in the Maztica thread with a (very) brief explanation. Basically, it was adapted from a conversion project I abandoned.

And while trying to navigate to my own DeviantART page, I took a wrong turn into the Twilight Zone. Apparently, I'M DEAD. Or, at least, there are rumors to that affect (from when I took a 2-year hiatus). Does that mean I am officially famous?

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2018 01:01:37
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2018 :  01:14:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

New Maztica WIP

Read the notes under it for questions. I also posted it in the Maztica thread with a (very) brief explanation. Basically, it was adapted from a conversion project I abandoned.

And while trying to navigate to my own DeviantART page, I took a wrong turn into the Twilight Zone. Apparently, I'M DEAD. Or, at least, there are rumors to that affect (from when I took a 2-year hiatus). Does that mean I am officially famous?

No, it means you're a LICH!!!!!.... back away foul undead beast!!!!

I know there was a test.... something with a duck and some scales for seeing it someone is a LICH!!!!!!

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2018 :  01:17:21  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can't take a rest because they kill you.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2018 :  05:02:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its actually the second time that's happened - can't remember the other site a couple years back; Giants in the Playground, enworld, or the Piazza.

I think thats the true mark of fame - when a rumor can start on the internet that you are dead.
I betcha no-one ever killed off Mike Schley.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jan 2018 05:03:31
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  22:30:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Katashaka WIP

Note, the 'Rashear Coast' was 'borrowed' from Frog God games Razor Coast, which is an excellent product I highly recommend. I left it 'blank' for that reason - it isn't mine.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  09:02:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I truly wish game designers would understand the RW a little better - my life would be so much easier. I just ran into a problem on a city map I am working on. The city supposedly is a major ship-building port... and yet has NO 'dry dock' facilities. Do game designers think ships get built in the water? Or do they think some shipwright is building them in his little shop (and I HAVE seen 'little shops' for shipbuilders!)?

Ship-in-a-bottle shop?
quote:

Its actually the second time that's happened [...]
I think thats the true mark of fame - when a rumor can start on the internet that you are dead.

Just that you need some sort of a sign, like "I ATE'NT DEAD".

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2018 :  21:02:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am the Walrus... Goo goo gajoob.

Its funny that you mention the ship-in-a-bottle thing, because something else reminded me of those tiny animals (Minimals) that are on that island (Bulta), and also there was a mage who was trying to figure out how to minimize animals for long caravan hauls, and then re-growth them on the other end (for ease-of-transport - they'd save a fortune on feed, and it would be so easy to get fresh meat and produce to market that way). I have to wonder why more mages haven't considered all the virtues of 'miniaturization'.

And the reason why I thought of that was Sleyvas' fault. I was thinking one night (a few days ago) about how I shouldn't post any more maps, because no matter what I post, Sleyvas will try to stick a Tharch in it. I even considered posting an X-ray of my colon just to see if he'd put one in there, and that got me thinking about how small an area I could possibly 'map' just to thwart him. I thought about an island only 1' round, not even enough room for one person to stand on, and then I thought, "Naw... he'll just shrink everyone..." . And that's how I started thinking about little people, and little animals, etc - ways to fit a settlement into a place it shouldn't go (and then Rich Bryers posted something about 'tiny men' on his FB page, so it all coalesced into some weird musings on my part).

And now you know the strange places my brain drifts off to when I am half-asleep and its 3AM.

*P.S. - I went back to my doctor. Turns out that 'dark spot' on my X-ray WAS a Tharch! He gave me something to drink for it, and now I've been pooping Red Wizards all week!

(I've been dying to use that since I thought of it the other night... couldn't resist)

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jan 2018 01:31:30
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2018 :  13:15:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am the Walrus... Goo goo gajoob.

Its funny that you mention the ship-in-a-bottle thing, because something else reminded me of those tiny animals (Minimals) that are on that island (Bulta), and also there was a mage who was trying to figure out how to minimize animals for long caravan hauls, and then re-growth them on the other end (for ease-of-transport - they'd save a fortune on feed, and it would be so easy to get fresh meat and produce to market that way). I have to wonder why more mages haven't considered all the virtues of 'miniaturization'.

And the reason why I thought of that was Sleyvas' fault. I was thinking one night (a few days ago) about how I shouldn't post any more maps, because no matter what I post, Sleyvas will try to stick a Tharch in it. I even considered posting an X-ray of my colon just to see if he'd put one in there, and that got me thinking about how small an area I could possibly 'map' just to thwart him. I thought about an island only 1' round, not even enough room for one person to stand on, and then I thought, "Naw... he'll just shrink everyone..." . And that's how I started thinking about little people, and little animals, etc - ways to fit a settlement into a place it shouldn't go (and then Rich Bryers posted something about 'tiny men' on his FB page, so it all coalesced into some weird musings on my part).

And now you know the strange places my brain drifts off to when I am half-asleep and its 3AM.

*P.S. - I went back to my doctor. Turns out that 'dark spot' on my X-ray WAS a Tharch! He gave me something to drink for it, and now I've been pooping Red Wizards all week!

(I've been dying to use that since I thought of it the other night... couldn't resist)

You didn't know I'd developed the "summon tharch" spell now did you? You'll want to go get yourself further checked out, because you are in fact a nyama-nummo, and they were extracting things from you internally.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  06:24:47  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay,

I've been very curious to know. Do you make any kind of city maps, or just primarily regional Maps?

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  07:27:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost exclusively regional maps.
I have done a couple of city maps, but I find them too tedious and its like pulling teeth trying to finish one.

Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  11:26:36  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Almost exclusively regional maps.
I have done a couple of city maps, but I find them too tedious and its like pulling teeth trying to finish one.

Hahaha, cool. I was just curious to know.
I agree about being tedious, I drew a few city maps and it took me quite a while.

What are you working on now?

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  21:15:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About a dozen different FR maps (which includes my highly detailed main project, and we'll probably see the Unapproachable East 1st, which I hadn't meant to do), at least two FR citymaps (yeah, I know what I said...), one plane (the Feywild), a genealogy tree connecting ALL the gods together (that will never, EVER get finished), at least three different writing projects for the DMsGuild (which also may never see the light of day), a couple of buildings, two settlements (one canon, the other completely homebrew), and if I am not mistaken I should be seeing a contract for a regional map for a new setting appearing in my Email in the next few days.

Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  10:11:34  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, I can't wait to see your work.

I'm actually really excited to see the feywild map. 1, because I don't think there is a definitive feywild map out there. 2, there might be a chance my players will go to the feywild

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  10:27:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its going to be very non-detailed - it is a PLANE, after all. One that approximates all the traversable land in the universe! I actually plan to inset tiny world maps of differnt worlds as small island clusters (I saw this done with Larry Niven's Ringworld, and thought it was AWESOME).

I was looking at the official (4e) Feywild map by Mike Schley, and while its lovely, it only shows a very tiny area (comparatively). In fact, I am probably going to have trouble even placing that (it would just be a 'dot' on a Planer map). So I don't know how useful it could possibly be for running a game - I just need it as a reference for some of the history-lore I am working on for Katashaka (showing how the 'Giant Lands' relate to the rest of the Feywild).

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Jan 2018 10:29:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000