Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Darkhold - The Lower Level
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  21:39:20  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A long time ago I read a couple pages published that detailed the basement of Darkhold.

A couple of times I asked if anyone else remembered it, but no one seemed to know the source.

Today I finally found it. I hope some of you enjoy this little forgotten Forgotten Realms gem as much as I do.

It is called "Beneath Castle Darkhold" and it appeared on pages 44 to 46 of Dungeons Of Mystery (GR2), which was published in 1992.

It included a new monster the 'Shadowcrawler' detailed on page 63 in the appendix and was the original source of the 'spellcaster' spell on page 54.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  00:21:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No that's a resource I don"t have. Just curious, is there any actual realmslore in the write-up or is it a vanilla piece using a Realms placeholder?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  00:44:59  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Castles' was about Darkhold too.
(and yes, both hold realmslore)

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 23 Jun 2015 00:52:09
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  00:57:36  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only a tiny amount. Basically, it's a lost underground level of Darkhold used by the lich Varalla before the Zhentarim came.

The Realmslore mostly consists of a description of the Gateway of Darkhold - essentially a portal that only opens for up to 10 minutes four times per day. With the right commands, people can use it to travel to Baldur's Gate, Ordulin, Procampur, Westgate or Zhentil Keep.

It also mentions that Varalla had a favourite servant named Francina who is now a ghost and that she lived with an unnamed warrior (now gone) who had an enchanted mural in his room which replays a siege that he took part in somewhere in a distant land.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  02:42:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

'Castles' was about Darkhold too.
(and yes, both hold realmslore)

Yes, this is a continuation of the description of the lower level given in the Castles box set which was published shortly before, which only describes up to the rubble - which is as far as Semmemmon looked into it for some reason :P
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  02:50:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

No that's a resource I don"t have. Just curious, is there any actual realmslore in the write-up or is it a vanilla piece using a Realms placeholder?

-- George Krashos

Krash - the spell can be found in the Wizards Spell Compendium if you have that. I do not know if the Shadowcrawler is in any other source - possibly one of the Annual MCs. Aside from that and what hashimashadoo mentions there is only the extended map of the lower level.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  06:48:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. No pressing need to nab a copy then. All good.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000