Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Consequences
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  17:58:06  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So Spellstorm has been out for about a week now and I still haven't made the purchase. Mark it up to a combination of busy and lack of interest. There used to be a time when I couldn't wait to stick my nose into an FR novel. But now I'm sitting here on a Sunday morning wondering if I should buy it and spend a few hours reading, or go do some chores, or maybe play some Pillars of Eternity. Again, this used to be no contest. I say consequences because before I made time for the novels and it was a nice routine I had every month. I always had an FR novel on my nightstand to read. Now WoTC has to compete for my time where before I couldn't give them my money fast enough.

I dunno, maybe this is pointless complaining. But I kind of foresaw this happening. Nature abhors a vacuum so other things come in to fill the void left by my monthly FR routine. I'm sure I'll buy it at some point. I just miss the passion and excitement I had for getting a new novel. In this case, distance isn't making the heart grow fonder.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  18:20:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many FR fans are -like you- disappointed with the lack of lore-rich material and/or novels, but I'm not sure how much we mean to WotC (save for Drizzt fans, but many of them don't even really know about the Realms). Their core books are still selling like hotcakes (apparently the PHB is 2nd on the NYT bestsellers list, under ''games'' category, the MM 7th) and they seem to be satisfied with their board games and MMO expansions.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Jun 2015 18:20:53
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  19:53:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding Realmslore in novels: Ed's last four novels (I have not read Spellstorm yet) have been as lore rich as anything he has ever written.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  19:55:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant lack of novels if compared to the past, not of realmslore-rich novels. Sorry if I wasn't clear

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  20:33:21  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't read Spellstorm either yet (probably will order in the next few days), but in my case it's not because of a lack of novels, but rather that I'm more in the mood of doing other stuff.

ThoughI certainly wish they'd release more novels.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  20:47:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More novels would be great, but I'd like to see them expand beyond Faerun. Zakhara and Kara-tur are fertile grounds for something new.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  22:41:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too miss the larger amount of novels. Even stand-alone ones, some of the 4e novels were, would be better than only three novels a year by three authors. Don't get me wrong, Ed, Bob, and Erin are all great, but I liked it better when we had other authors writing in the Realms, too. And there are unfinished series that I would love to see continue.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2015 :  22:52:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like also like short stories or antologies to be released. With WotC's attention focused on the usual cast, I think that short stories would be a nice way to feature other characters, regions, organizations, religions etc and to give updated info on the current Realms (instead of having Ed going out of his way to sneak said lore in his novels, even when it has little to do with the main story. Not that I don't like that, it's quite the opposite --and one of the very few ways to get a look at the post-Sundering Realms--, but it would be much better if he and others had more room to expand on it).

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2015 :  00:24:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I would like also like short stories or antologies to be released. With WotC's attention focused on the usual cast, I think that short stories would be a nice way to feature other characters, regions, organizations, religions etc and to give updated info on the current Realms (instead of having Ed going out of his way to sneak said lore in his novels, even when it has little to do with the main story. Not that I don't like that, it's quite the opposite --and one of the very few ways to get a look at the post-Sundering Realms--, but it would be much better if he and others had more room to expand on it).

Same here. I think the last anthology we got was Realms of War back in 2008.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2015 :  03:07:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to read a short story featuring the investigator Ironeye Houndfyre.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2015 :  05:04:43  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Yeah, this would go a LOOOONG way towards keeping me interested. I too can't stand that we only have 3....actually 4 writers in the stable. I didn't come to FR because of Drizzt or Elminster and I didn't stay with FR because of Drizzt or Elminster.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2015 :  06:20:33  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awntrus "Black Glove" Malaver would be another NPC investigator worthy of a short story. He keeps trophies from unsolved cases under his bed, for starters, and sometimes he dreams about them.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 15 Jun 2015 06:22:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000