Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 grapple in 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  03:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Grapple is performed with a -20 if using only one-hand so am I to understand that you would suffer the -20 when wearing a Heavy Shield and grappline since the shield prevets the use of the shield hand?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  05:24:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have looked at the SRD ( http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm one published, not sure WotC one is still live)and I do not see a -20 modifier for one hand or having a shield. In fact combat modifiers of not being shield proficient only has a -4 modifier.

As far as it goes I see no reason a grapple can not be made with shield with shield arm wrapped about target, the use of light weapon clearly could not be used by hand holding shield while in grapple, also AC bonus from attacks from others would be lost.

Maybe you are looking at different rule set or I am missing a modifier?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2015 :  19:24:40  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as the attacker has a hand available to initiate a grapple via a touch attack, (s)he can start a grapple attempt. When a hold is established, the rules dont go into details what is required. Common sense (and in the last few words of the article All About Grappling) would allow the attacker from maintaining the grapple with at least a single free hand; combined with his/her body, leg or (shield) arm to establish and maintain a hold. This is all at normal grapple score ratings.

There is a rule in the monster manual that covers using a single appendage in a grapple at a -20 penalty while retaining the ability to threaten with regular natural or weapon attacks. This is retricted to creatures with the improved grab special ability/feat. These monsters are also able to drag along anyone they grapple without making opposed checks. In fact when they start a grapple they dont enter the square of their targets, but the target gets dragged into their square on a succesful hold.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders

Edited by - Bladewind on 09 Jun 2015 19:26:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000