Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Trapper (Monster) for 5th edition
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  14:14:18  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone knows where I can find the stats of Trapper monsteer of 2nd and 3.5 edition converted for 5th edition?

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  15:42:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen the trapper updated yet.

I would start by making it an ooze. From the 2e Monstrous Manual description, the trapper digests through its entire upper surface and can excrete across its entire lower surface, implying that it doesn't have specific organs for these functions. Plus, being an ooze goes a long way toward explaining the ability to change its shape and coloration without giving it a spell ability.

Second, it has 12 HD according to the Monstrous Manual, and it's gargantuan by 5e sizing (20-30 ft in diameter). I would give it a +5 Con modifier to make it tough enough that PCs will take it somewhat seriously. That's wide open to interpretation, of course; darkmantles only only have a +1 Con mod, but black puddings have +3. The HD and Con mod gives us the trapper's hit points, though, and that's halfway to estimating its CR.

Giant constrictor snakes are huge and do 2d8 damage on a constrict. That should scale up to 4d6 damage for a gargantuan creature. The trapper's constrict is worse than a snake's but the damage seems reasonable.

If you want, you can allow rigid metal armor (plate, half-plate, maybe breastplate) to reduce damage taken by 1 point per AC point given by the armor, to reflect the unusual damage calculation of the 2e trapper.

So here's my rough draft of the trapper.

Trapper

Gargantuan ooze, unaligned

Armor Class 15 (+5 natural)

Hit Points 186 (12d20+60)

Speed 10 ft

Str 20, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 1, Wis 6, Cha 1

Damage Immunities cold, lightning

Condition Immunities blinded, charmed, deafened, exhaustion, frightened, prone

Senses blindsight 60 ft (blind beyond this radius), passive Perception 8

Languages --

Challenge 5 (1800 XP)

Amorphous (as black pudding)

Spider Climb (as black pudding)

Actions

Constrict. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 19 (4d6+5) bludgeoning damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 17). Until this grapple ends, the creature is restrained, and the trapper can't constrict another target.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 16 May 2015 15:48:19
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  20:03:49  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stumbled upon a few days ago, a URL where apparently you can easily get some output for converting Monsters from older editions:
http://brentnewhall.com/games/1e5e.html

Maybe it's worth trying?
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  20:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

Stumbled upon a few days ago, a URL where apparently you can easily get some output for converting Monsters from older editions:
http://brentnewhall.com/games/1e5e.html

Maybe it's worth trying?

This works well, I've used it for a few things myself. Just manually double check the stat block after you input things.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  08:37:32  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thank you very much for your help!!!!

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000