Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Teleporting....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  15:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it possible to teleport magically summoned creatures such as Guenhwyvar or Jarlaxle's and Athrogate's mounts without teleporting them with their figurine? Is it possible to teleport them in a summoned state with their figurine?

Just musing over this for fun.

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  16:19:58  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to say no

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  17:16:49  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see why not. Teleportation is basically picking something up and flinging it through space to somewhere else. Just because something is magical or summoned don't change that. If it did, all of the various fiends wouldn't be able to teleport on the Prime, and they obviously can (Hellbound not withstanding).

Now if you teleport something outside the range when it can exist outside its controlling object, it would probably just do whatever that something does when it gets outside the range. I can do the same thing by taking a lamp and throwing it further than its power cord. The cord leaves the wall socket, and the light turns off.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  18:29:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salvatore's description of figurines is a little different from its original version in AD&D. In the original version the figurine changed into the summoned beast, so if the creature was teleported, so would be the statuette. As for Bob's description, the owner of the figurine keeps the statuette, althought I've never thought of it as a control instrument, and never heard of a limited range.

My interpretation:

The creature CAN be teleported, and if the beast transforms into the figurine when the duration of the summoning ends or when the beast "dies", the statuette would be at the teleport's destiny (with or without its original owner). However, if the beast is teleported and the owner keeps the figurine, we have two possibilities: if the creature was teleported against his will he can dismiss the beast; or if it was teleported to accomplish a mission he gave it, it could work elsewhere (if properly commanded) until it "dies" or is dismissed "remotely".

In both cases, its owner would be able to call it again (near to him, of course) afterwards.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 14 May 2015 18:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  18:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Salvatore's description of figurines is a little different from its original version in AD&D. In the original version the figurine changed into the summoned beast, so if the creature was teleported, so would be the statuette. As for Bob's description, the owner of the figurine keeps the statuette, althought I've never thought of it as a control instrument, and never heard of a limited range.

My interpretation:

The creature CAN be teleported, and if the beast transforms into the figurine when the duration of the summoning ends or when the beast "dies", the statuette would be at the teleport's destiny (with or without its original owner). However, if the beast is teleported and the owner keeps the figurine, we have two possibilities: if the creature was teleported against his will he can dismiss the beast; or if it was teleported to accomplish a mission he gave it, it could work elsewhere (if properly commanded) until it "dies" or is dismissed "remotely".

In both cases, its owner would be able to call it again (near to him, of course) afterwards.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  19:01:01  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gwen is a special case. I'm pretty sure Snort and Jarlaxles Nightmare function as the latter example.

Also, didn't Jar once send Gwen to an outer plane to rescue Drizzt, while he and the figurine stayed in the Prime? I forget how that happened.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  21:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

quote:

Also, didn't Jar once send Gwen to an outer plane to rescue Drizzt, while he and the figurine stayed in the Prime? I forget how that happened.

I don't recall that. I remember Guen taking Regis back to the Astral plane with her and being able to bring back other big cats through the power of the figurine.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  22:44:37  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found it. It's a little different than I remember:

In the Pirate King, Greeth opened a portal to a lower plane. Drizzt and Gwen accidentally went through it, without the figurine. Jarlaxle found it, and called Gwen back, who brought Drizzt with him.

It wasn't a teleport, but Gwen did go through a gate to another plane, without the figurine.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  23:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the Pirate King, Greeth opened a portal to a lower plane. Drizzt and Gwen accidentally went through it, without the figurine. Jarlaxle found it, and called Gwen back, who brought Drizzt with him.

It wasn't a teleport, but Gwen did go through a gate to another plane, without the figurine.

Ah, that explains my ignorance, I gave up on the pirate king.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  03:22:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you didnt miss anything on that series

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  09:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

you didnt miss anything on that series

Lol. It wasn't Bob's finest I agree. I'm sure that some liked it though.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  12:17:28  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just remembered something. In The Ghost King (I think) Guen fled the battle with the king for fear of creating a rift caused by the king moving to the plane of shadow and her own extraplaner origins. Now this might be explained by the spellplague having an effect but it is open to question. Jarlaxle had the same problem, he threw his portable hole over a dead lich that was shifting into the shadowplane. The result was a rift to the astral plane.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  17:01:37  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was my understanding that most teleportation magics don't fling you through space but rather send you into the astral and bring you back out at your intended destination (hence the danger of not knowing your destination well - rather than the risk of flying face first at the speed of magic into a solid object you are risking stepping out of the astral *into* the solid object).

Since the astral plane is Guen's home, I would suggest that she might actually be a boon to someone who is teleporting somewhere. She could have some preternatural instinct on how to better transition safely (has she ever materialised inside a cave wall? Nope). As was alluded to earlier - you don't need the figurine to be in close proximity, its only function is to call her. Guen is unique in that she isn't an animal bound into a figurine. The circumstances of the figurine's creation (as seen in the Guenhwyvar short story) cause her to be summoned instead.

As for Jarlaxle's portable hole creating a planar rift - it's well documented that the interaction of planar magics do cause such rifts (never put a bag of holding in a portable hole or vice versa!).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 15 May 2015 17:03:21
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  17:37:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Translocational magics that cross planar barriers mention doing so. I don't believe that a straight teleport does anything other than pop you from one space to another... The danger is that you are going from one exact point in space to another, so mis-aiming could have you wind up in an occupied bit of space.

I'd think that stepping out of one plane into another would be blocked if you couldn't enter the other space -- so you couldn't step out of the Astral into the heart of a mountain, because you're trying to walk into solid matter. Whereas with a teleport, you're saying "put me at these coordinates" -- so the magic works, regardless of whether or not the endpoint is occupied.

At least, that's how I see it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 May 2015 17:38:14
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  10:42:10  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good replies all, thanks guys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000