Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Calimshan Cuisine
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  14:41:29  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What's Calimshan's cuisine like? Is it stated or mentioned anywhere? What source(s) would be good to try to acquire that contains details about the day-to-day life of residents of various areas of the realms?

I thought that as a last resort, I could just assume that the food of Calimshan would be similar to that of the Ottoman Empire/Arab culture since the zone is based on those. However, since not every area in the realms necessarily has a real world correlation and some areas share the same correlation, I'd feel better if I could find information about Calimshan rather than deriving it from the real world. However, I'm not even sure that such information is out there.

Can anyone shed some more light on these matters for me? :D

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  16:34:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume it would be very similar (if not identical) to arabic cuisine.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  03:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now's your chance, sno4wy, to engage foodies and Realms fans!

Calimshan and its culture doesn't have a direct Earth-cultural influence, but what you said works for general ideas and structures (and spice and/or material/food use).

I always assumed it would be akin to a fusion of Turkish, Arabic, and a random sampling of Arabian and other influences that made for Calishite cuisine....and you can play around with it as it'll also have elemental influences via all the djinn and efreet touches in history & all that.

For fun, you can clarify and insist some Calishite cities (or families/clans) follow certain culinary styles and only use particular foods in their dishes (i.e. no pig flesh eaten by those in Manshaka; no milk product of any kind allowed by those of Clan Akrelak; etc.).

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000