Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Calimshan Cuisine

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sno4wy Posted - 14 May 2015 : 14:41:29
What's Calimshan's cuisine like? Is it stated or mentioned anywhere? What source(s) would be good to try to acquire that contains details about the day-to-day life of residents of various areas of the realms?

I thought that as a last resort, I could just assume that the food of Calimshan would be similar to that of the Ottoman Empire/Arab culture since the zone is based on those. However, since not every area in the realms necessarily has a real world correlation and some areas share the same correlation, I'd feel better if I could find information about Calimshan rather than deriving it from the real world. However, I'm not even sure that such information is out there.

Can anyone shed some more light on these matters for me? :D
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steven Schend Posted - 15 May 2015 : 03:43:17
Now's your chance, sno4wy, to engage foodies and Realms fans!

Calimshan and its culture doesn't have a direct Earth-cultural influence, but what you said works for general ideas and structures (and spice and/or material/food use).

I always assumed it would be akin to a fusion of Turkish, Arabic, and a random sampling of Arabian and other influences that made for Calishite cuisine....and you can play around with it as it'll also have elemental influences via all the djinn and efreet touches in history & all that.

For fun, you can clarify and insist some Calishite cities (or families/clans) follow certain culinary styles and only use particular foods in their dishes (i.e. no pig flesh eaten by those in Manshaka; no milk product of any kind allowed by those of Clan Akrelak; etc.).
Artemas Entreri Posted - 14 May 2015 : 16:34:10
I'd assume it would be very similar (if not identical) to arabic cuisine.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000