Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Milking the pantheon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  21:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
All right, I did try to find something on this, so feel free to direct me elsewhere.
I'm looking for ways to use the deities of the Realms as a commoner of the setting. Like, when would you invoke the name of a deity. Maybe someone has a handy list? Maybe there is something in Elminster's Forgotten Realms, I really need to re-read that tome.

So.. what do we have?
"Thank Lathander I lived to see another day" (morning)
"Tymora('s luck) be with you" (farewell)
"Helm watches over us"

When or how would you invoke, say, Beshaba?
IF it hasn't been done already it would be fun to gather a lot of these for all manner of powers and make a handy PDF.

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  21:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was an article with such sayings in the stacks here. But it's mostly reprinted in Elminster's Forgotten Realms, as you suspect.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  23:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another source that might hit on what you seek.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  03:36:05  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more benign aspects evil deities are sometimes invoked. As in, ordinary people might ask Shar to bestow forgetfulness of a painful memory or grants a dreamless sleep to avoid pain - rather than, say, pray that Tyr mercifully forgives a transgression or ask Ilmater to take the pain away. Even Cyric might be worshipped (briefly, at least) to ensure safe passage for the dead.

Other evil deities are usually appeased more than revered. An observance might be made to Umberlee in the hopes that she doesn't sink your ship or obstruct its passage with storms, a sacrifice might be offered to Tempus or Tyr so that they spare you (and those near you, and your home, etc) from the ravages of war and destruction.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2015 :  09:31:58  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might want to give the library a look. link
quote:
Blessing in Brief.
Bless us, O Lady, in the giving and receiving of pleasure. Take our pain and give us joy in return, and grant us happiness in all that we do.
- "Writings on Sharess" found here

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  14:50:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh great Talos, thank you for delivering unto us this mineral rich earth from thine volcano

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  15:49:52  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Wisdom of the Realms is very good, had a chuckle running my eye over some of those famous quotes. I'm considering opening every game session with a reading of one, appropriate to the tone of each evening naturally.

As for taking the gods' names in vain (or otherwise), I can only quote the young sorcerer and former scribe of Candlekeep, Mreldar when I write "Mystra's Sacred Shadow!", taken from The City of Splendors by Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham and notably exclaimed upon first viewing one of the legendary walking statues of Waterdeep in full stride.

Edited by - The Emerald Sage on 20 May 2015 14:22:32
Go to Top of Page

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2015 :  14:23:23  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Gods going sideways"

From the same book.
Go to Top of Page

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2015 :  22:56:47  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourites are:

"Beshaba, shit in my eyes!" or something similar has been written by Erin Evans in Brimstone Angels. I loved it.

"For Moradin's Hairy Arse" dwarven exclamation by Bruenor & co. in Bob Salvatore's books.

"Oghma's Bloody Papercuts!" another favourite by Erin Evans

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2015 :  14:22:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Alavairthae, may the Red Knight guide your game"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000