Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Milking the pantheon

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Caladan Brood Posted - 12 May 2015 : 21:29:25
All right, I did try to find something on this, so feel free to direct me elsewhere.
I'm looking for ways to use the deities of the Realms as a commoner of the setting. Like, when would you invoke the name of a deity. Maybe someone has a handy list? Maybe there is something in Elminster's Forgotten Realms, I really need to re-read that tome.

So.. what do we have?
"Thank Lathander I lived to see another day" (morning)
"Tymora('s luck) be with you" (farewell)
"Helm watches over us"

When or how would you invoke, say, Beshaba?
IF it hasn't been done already it would be fun to gather a lot of these for all manner of powers and make a handy PDF.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 21 May 2015 : 14:22:19
"Alavairthae, may the Red Knight guide your game"
Portuguese D. Ace Posted - 20 May 2015 : 22:56:47
My favourites are:

"Beshaba, shit in my eyes!" or something similar has been written by Erin Evans in Brimstone Angels. I loved it.

"For Moradin's Hairy Arse" dwarven exclamation by Bruenor & co. in Bob Salvatore's books.

"Oghma's Bloody Papercuts!" another favourite by Erin Evans
The Emerald Sage Posted - 20 May 2015 : 14:23:23
"Gods going sideways"

From the same book.
The Emerald Sage Posted - 18 May 2015 : 15:49:52
The Wisdom of the Realms is very good, had a chuckle running my eye over some of those famous quotes. I'm considering opening every game session with a reading of one, appropriate to the tone of each evening naturally.

As for taking the gods' names in vain (or otherwise), I can only quote the young sorcerer and former scribe of Candlekeep, Mreldar when I write "Mystra's Sacred Shadow!", taken from The City of Splendors by Ed Greenwood and Elaine Cunningham and notably exclaimed upon first viewing one of the legendary walking statues of Waterdeep in full stride.
sleyvas Posted - 17 May 2015 : 14:50:01
Oh great Talos, thank you for delivering unto us this mineral rich earth from thine volcano
SaMoCon Posted - 13 May 2015 : 09:31:58
You might want to give the library a look. link
quote:
Blessing in Brief.
Bless us, O Lady, in the giving and receiving of pleasure. Take our pain and give us joy in return, and grant us happiness in all that we do.
- "Writings on Sharess" found here
Ayrik Posted - 13 May 2015 : 03:36:05
The more benign aspects evil deities are sometimes invoked. As in, ordinary people might ask Shar to bestow forgetfulness of a painful memory or grants a dreamless sleep to avoid pain - rather than, say, pray that Tyr mercifully forgives a transgression or ask Ilmater to take the pain away. Even Cyric might be worshipped (briefly, at least) to ensure safe passage for the dead.

Other evil deities are usually appeased more than revered. An observance might be made to Umberlee in the hopes that she doesn't sink your ship or obstruct its passage with storms, a sacrifice might be offered to Tempus or Tyr so that they spare you (and those near you, and your home, etc) from the ravages of war and destruction.
Delwa Posted - 12 May 2015 : 23:52:52
Here's another source that might hit on what you seek.
Delwa Posted - 12 May 2015 : 21:36:36
There was an article with such sayings in the stacks here. But it's mostly reprinted in Elminster's Forgotten Realms, as you suspect.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000