Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Potential FRCS News.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  23:02:34  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The summary is here.

It's kinda disappointing. While Perkins doesn't come right out and say there isn't going to be a setting book, it doesn't paint a good picture for the possibility of there being a physical tome.

On one hand, I'm ok with this. I can make the results of the Sundering be whatever I want for my campaign. On the other hand, I don't want to have to read every novel and play every product to find out what's official.
Back on the first hand, I'm ok with that, because I don't run "canon" games anyway.

Oh well.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  23:38:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, they mean re-discovering the Realms through their lore-light adventures that have a very good chance to keep revolving around the Sword Coast? The Realms are way too vaste to be ''rediscovered'' through these adventures. I'm not okay with this, because their releasing a FRCS wouldn't reduce my options to apply whatever changes I want, on the contrary, it would amplify them by giving me more options and lore.

The writings were already on the wall, but it is just disheartening to hear that FR will basically become what GH was in 3.5e

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  23:39:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno, that's really too vague to make any kind of conclusions, in my mind.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  23:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll admit it is vague, I don't think that this means there won't be a setting book for sure. However, it just seems to be an indicator that unless there's a loud demand, it isn't likely to show up any time soon.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  23:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Agreed. I do believe they will come up with something that covers more area than what a module gives. And I do recall Ed being excited about 5E. Hopefully he can tell us something sometime soon. Or maybe they are waiting for GenCon to release campaign information?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  00:11:42  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I like this part: "they also want to put out books that people will actually use rather than books that will just get put on a shelf."

But I'm not a fan of their multi-platform nonsense, so it's hard to get excited about that. Definitely sounds like adventure paths (and the Neverwinter game) is their plan, and I'm with Irennan on that part. Adventure paths could be used to "rediscover" the Realms, but they're doing it wrong.

Oddly, though, I agree with a decision to not have a new FRCS, if that's really their decision... or at least, no additional FRCS beyond Ed Greenwood Presents. A campaign setting book is very quickly outdated by ratcheting the timeline forward, and its value continues to decrease as the edition progresses.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  00:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Well, I like this part: "they also want to put out books that people will actually use rather than books that will just get put on a shelf."

But I'm not a fan of their multi-platform nonsense, so it's hard to get excited about that. Definitely sounds like adventure paths (and the Neverwinter game) is their plan, and I'm with Irennan on that part. Adventure paths could be used to "rediscover" the Realms, but they're doing it wrong.

Oddly, though, I agree with a decision to not have a new FRCS, if that's really their decision... or at least, no additional FRCS beyond Ed Greenwood Presents. A campaign setting book is very quickly outdated by ratcheting the timeline forward, and its value continues to decrease as the edition progresses.

Aye. I really don't like how time consuming it would become to keep up with current lore if the multi-game platform is their only venue for new lore.
It would make the FR wiki that much more valuable. Which, while it's a good thing, doesn't seem to financially benefit the Realms.

I do agree in part with wanting a book for more lore to pick and choose from. Especially for people new to the Realms. A new customer to the Realms doesn't necessarily want to buy an out of print book off of Amazon. They want a new shiny tome to play with. Myself, I feel like I've got so much to choose from, I won't run out anytime soon, especially now that the DnDClassics site has so many Realms PDFs available. I'd much rather have a print book, but if that's not cost effective, I can understand that.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  00:58:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, they're trying to figure out how to write books that will be used over and over.

I wonder how long it will take before they figure out the best way to do this is to start publishing Volo's Guides again?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  01:06:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If they really wanted that route, adventures path should also be mini-regional/themed (like in racial, deities or whatever you have-themed) sourcebooks.

quote:

If they don't blow things up, a CS won't become obsolete, it would just be missing some events that anyone could pick and simply add to it.

quote:

Ofc it's vague, do you expect them to openly state ''we won't make X?''. It would be bad PR for any potential customer who would like X to be made. We have also had so many hints that at this point I'd be really (and happily) surprised, if they were making a FRCS.

quote:
Aye. I really don't like how time consuming it would become to keep up with current lore if the multi-game platform is their only venue for new lore.

Time, energy and money consuming (not to mention a ''painful'' process, if you're interested only in the lore and you have to go through w/e multi-platform stuff just to get a couple lines). But just think about how much one would have to spend to get a full picture of the partial picture of the Realms. It's discouraging, and it's worsening the ''entry level barrier'' problem by scattering the lore like that (unless they assume that everyone will want to play their adventures, or they want to railroad people to mainly play those).

It also contrasts with Mearls' statement of ''we aren't making books because people don't have time and would rather use apps or the likes'' by forcing time-starved people to go through time consuming activities to get what little hidden lore is out there (the alternaitve being ''screw it, I'm doing it myself'', but a kind of alternative that would still contrast with WotC's apparent wish to ease things for those people).

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Apr 2015 01:11:00
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  01:18:22  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. If this is the way they are going (and I stress, if,) it doesn't make sense to me. In my opinion, they did such a good job making sure the core rules listened to consumer feedback, it doesn't make sense for them to do this.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  01:24:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Time, energy and money consuming (not to mention a ''painful'' process, if you're interested only in the lore and you have to go through w/e multi-platform stuff just to get a couple lines).
To me this reads as so much hyperbole.

When I think about the glut of Realms novels and sourcebooks in the good old days and the thousands of words in them, the idea of perusing a few online articles, reading the paltry number of hardback adventures currently set in the Realms and playing Neverwinter and Sword Coast Legends on the side just to see how things were put together doesn't even rate as difficult.

That, and it's actually easier to collect Realmslore from adventures. At least in my experience.

People who are busy (like me) and like to collect Realmslore do it because we enjoy it.

Making mountains out of molehills here, people.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  01:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see that. I still hold that I'd prefer a single source, but I can see how that may simply be a matter of preference or that I need to get used to a new way of doing things.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  01:45:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Jeremy Lets say that I'm interested in realmslore. I go read the FRCS, I then go to online articles (which now are no longer present), then I try other kind of sourcebooks (which now would no longer be present) and adventures (which now seem to be going to give us little lore). It certainly is time consuming, but with varuous differences from what you would have to do now.

1)If I'm doing all of that, I'm looking for ALL the existing details about something. Instead, with the new design (no FRCS or sourcebooks) I would have to do that for the ''core'' lore (not to mention that -normally- I would be good to go with just giving money for a CS, the rest is extra details. Now I would be forced to spend quite a bit on multiple products to get the ''core'' picture).

2)I'm picking and buying products, spending money for stuff that (generally) include lore as a main part (or at least, not just little tidbits here and there). Now I would have to spend money for proudcts that happen to include a few lines of lore in them, but which focus is different (if I look for lore, I'm being given less options and less of what I seek for more/same value)

3)Yes, people collect lore because they enjoy it, that doesn't mean that they necessarily enjoy playing Neverwinter, or a boardgame or whatever non-RPG related things (or that you want to read or play a specific adventure, rather than a setting). Now, apparently, I'm supposed to do that just to get the essential picture and if I don't enjoy/don't want to dedicate my time to those things, I'll either have to miss out on (part of) the main stuff, or to go through a painful process of doing activities that I don't have desire to do/asking others what happened in those games.

This also definitely increases the entry level barrier for those who want to play the FR and not just WotC's storylines.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Apr 2015 01:54:48
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  01:54:30  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are interested in Realmslore then you purchase all the extant sources as they become available.

Everything else is just bellyaching and complaining.

All the online articles are still available, to my knowledge. Adventures are not meant to be wellsprings of Realmslore. Buying a magazine copy of Dragon or Dungeon magazine for that one Realms article or adventure used to be the norm.

Again, mountains out of molehills.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  02:04:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

If you are interested in Realmslore then you purchase all the extant sources as they become available.

Nope, I purchase them only if the lore in them doesn't happen to be a drop in a lake of other stuff. I don't have unlimited money. Also, what about those people that want to know the ''core'' lore on something, the present state of that something (after a huge RSe that was supposed to change the FR forver and ever, resotre stuff ect), and have to go through multiple sources just to get that?

quote:

Everything else is just bellyaching and complaining.

Ok, if you say so...

quote:

All the online articles are still available, to my knowledge. Adventures are not meant to be wellsprings of Realmslore. Buying a magazine copy of Dragon or Dungeon magazine for that one Realms article or adventure used to be the norm.

Again, mountains out of molehills.

Magazines are cheap, especially if you compare them to the new $50/book adventures. I know that adventures aren't supposed to be focused on lore, but that's part of the problem: WotC doesn't seem to be intentioned to deliver the lore through sourcebooks of any kind. About the articles, what about the lore on the post Sundering Realms, which is what is getting discussed here? What about new people entering the Realms and having no unified source? What about people that just want to know the ''core'' (i.e. what would be in a FRCS)?.

You're also leaving out my other points and dismissing them as complaining for its own sake.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Apr 2015 02:30:23
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  02:53:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irennan, if you keep shifting the focus of the discussion then we can't have a conversation.

Collecting Realmslore is far easier now than it has ever been. There are relatively few sources, the pace of release is slow and new formats for Realmslore are still being debated by WotC.

Right now I'm not bemoaning the state of things. Instead I'm using the slow pace to try and catch up. My stack of books and remaining online articles to go through is high, and real free time (i.e. absent distraction in the form of cute little babies and toddlers) is in short supply.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  06:03:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ofc it's vague, do you expect them to openly state ''we won't make X?''. It would be bad PR for any potential customer who would like X to be made. We have also had so many hints that at this point I'd be really (and happily) surprised, if they were making a FRCS.

Actually, I think if they weren't planning on making anything, they'd've not bothered to say anything at all. It's a hell of a lot easier to keep your mouth closed than it is to say "maybe."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Apr 2015 06:03:57
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  07:16:32  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Irennan, if you keep shifting the focus of the discussion then we can't have a conversation.

Collecting Realmslore is far easier now than it has ever been. There are relatively few sources, the pace of release is slow and new formats for Realmslore are still being debated by WotC.

How am I shifting the conversation? You quoted and replied to my comment about the ease of gathering updates on the current state of the Realms (and the lack of them) without a FRCS.

What I meant is that for someone who wants to know the current state of something in the Realms, the new apporach would make gathering info on the setting harder, because (setting aside that those info likely don't exist/aren't published, since the wide picture of the post-Sundering FR hasn't been described yet) even the broad picture, the essential part of that something (so not even necessarily all the details on it, just the part that you would go and read in a FRCS-like book) would be accessible only by going/reading through scattered sources to find a few lines of lore lying here and there (or by doing non-RPG related stuff, which you may or not like/want to dedicate time to). Besides as more adventures/games/what you have come out, things are going to get even harder.

If the FR are meant to be more than just a light background for an adventure or a video game, then you need a unified, updated source that people can refer to, that has all the ''core'' info to use any part of the Realms, that people approaching the Realms can be pointed to (instead of being told ''to get the information you need on the present state of X, go buy this older CS pdf, then read these novels, then read these adventures, then play these games and correct the older info with the new ones. Or just go through the web looking for spoilers/summaries).

There's also the issue of paying for 1 book and getting all that you need vs paying for multiple things that are not even focused on what you need (and, ofc, realmslore on the new FR being released at an extremely slow rate and just as a side-part of the products, if they go with this model).

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Apr 2015 17:05:11
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  14:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be fair, they're trying to figure out how to write books that will be used over and over.

I wonder how long it will take before they figure out the best way to do this is to start publishing Volo's Guides again?

I like this idea. (Somehow I missed this reply yesterday.) Use Ed Greenwood Presents as the "Core" brief overview book (it's practically a Volo's Guide anyway.) and present updated Volo's Guides for each region.
As far as presentation of the world to PC's, that's all you need. The PC's are likely only up to date on the current state of the Realms that would be in such a book. If they have knowledge history, it's up to the DM to determine what was there. If a DM wants to dig deeper and present canon history in his games, he has the material already published to pull from.
I'm Not saying don't publish new lore that delves into the history, I'm just saying it isn't necessarily required to run the setting.

This model would be different enough from what we're used to that it'd fit Perkins' statements, but with some adjustment, I could get used to it and be fine.

Or, they could do something else. This fits what they've been doing, so if they're trying to fit what they publish to their current model, it would make sense. They are just waiting on how exactly to break it up and what specifics to include.

Have a free PDF download of the "state of the Realms" with enough of an overview that a DM new to the Realms can get started, similar in scope to the Basic Rules and the playtest Eberron document.

Then, make the regional updates like Volo's Guides. I'd prefer a $10-20 book that you can flip through, but I'd be fine with a $50 Campaign Book of similar nature to the Neverwinter CS, as long as it's chock-full of lore.

Both ideas would be different enough, and both might fit what Perkins' was talking about.
I'm just not sure I like the scattered approach that we have at right this instance, if it is to continue. I've said before here at the Keep that you can run a homebrew game just fine with the stuff available through DnDClassics, but I'm not sure I'm fine with that model as the way things will be in the future.
I want print books. And if what's being said here means there won't be print books beyond the stuff for Encounters, that makes me grumpy.
Maybe I'm getting old and this is just me not keeping up with the times. Maybe they've done research that says this is the way new kids are doing things. Maybe this is the way the numbers say will sell well enough to keep them afloat.

If so, I'm going to be investing in paper and ink to print out a lot of PDF's in the future.
I do agree that it gives me time to catch up, but it's letting me catch up at a pace where I'll eventually pass WotC and be past caring what they publish.

Irennan did point out something that made me curious, though. From a purely monetary standpoint, this current model makes sense. If I buy a CS, I could feasibly be done buying stuff for a long time. I've got my go-to book. If it gives an overview of the whole Realms, and I start a game in the Moonsea, why do I need to buy a book that comes out a year later about the Moonsea? I've got the overview, I've developed those plothooks in that region in a way I think is cool. The book is useless to my game unless I want to retcon the memories made, or I just want to Keep up with official stuff on the side.
Doing things the way they are now makes you keep buying if you're interested in current lore, and the tiny trickle of lore makes it easy to weave the few details we've got into an ongoing game. Laeral became Open Lord of Waterdeep in my current campaign even though I'd started with Neverember. It was not a detail that was important to my game at the time.

But going forward, I'd like a print source. I don't want purely digital. I don't want an app. I want something that works if the power goes out. (And yes, I do have lots of candles.)

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  17:01:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Doing things the way they are now makes you keep buying if you're interested in current lore, and the tiny trickle of lore makes it easy to weave the few details we've got into an ongoing game. Laeral became Open Lord of Waterdeep in my current campaign even though I'd started with Neverember. It was not a detail that was important to my game at the time.

But going forward, I'd like a print source. I don't want purely digital. I don't want an app. I want something that works if the power goes out. (And yes, I do have lots of candles.)

The thing is that -assuming that they keep this rate- they're doing it way too slowly. It may work at the start, when -after all the hype for the Realms restored- people want to see the promised version of the setting that includes their restored old favorite elements and a lot of new characters plot hooks and so on, but how can they keep interest with so very little lore and updates?

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Apr 2015 17:51:19
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2015 :  17:51:01  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

The thing is that -assuming that they keep this rate- they're doing it way too slowly. It may work at the start, when -after all the hype for the Realms restored- people want to see the promised version of the setting that not only includes their restored old favorite elements and a lot of new characters plot hooks and so on, but how can they keep interest with so very little lore and updates?

I do agree that somewhere down the road they need to turn up the rate of release or things will kinda grind to a halt.
I'm happy with the rate for now, but not for the longterm.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  03:16:42  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their IP to waste if they choose to. I hope, one day, they pull their head out of their arse...until then, Paizo and Pathfinder it is.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  18:52:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like an FRCG for 5e. Sourcebooks are very handy for lore and info. I like the idea of digital in that it would save trees, but reading something online for hours isn't as nice as sitting down with a physical copy. I get why WotC is doing the multimedia approach, but it makes it harder to find out information, and as others have pointed out, it can get expensive fast.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  18:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I would like an FRCG for 5e. Sourcebooks are very handy for lore and info. I like the idea of digital in that it would save trees, but reading something online for hours isn't as nice as sitting down with a physical copy. I get why WotC is doing the multimedia approach, but it makes it harder to find out information, and as others have pointed out, it can get expensive fast.

Agreed. I don't necessarily need all the other books again. I've got enough on Waterdeep to easily run a game using 2E or 3e books on the subject, and we already know who the Open Lord of Waterdeep is, so no need there. Just a campaign setting would do, and the rest could easily be digital updates.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  19:02:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where would we get the digital updates though? The WotC website? I barely go on there.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  19:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could always link to pdfs here if they went that direction.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  20:09:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The chief draw for publishing electronically would be the savings in production cost -- no need to pay printers or distributors or retailers.

So one big benefit for us would be lower prices. They can't charge as much for a pdf as they do for a book; that would be a disastrous decision. So the purchase price drops, which is good for us, but at the same time WotC is saving so much that their profit margin still increases.

Another huge benefit for us would be the ease of searching. Historically, most books have come to us with no index, and the indices we do get are mediocre. With pdfs, finding a name is as simple as Ctrl-F... for sourcebooks, adventures, novels, everything.

And of course, WotC could make corrections in the files instead of just releasing errata.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  20:18:50  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very true. But I am still wondering where these pdfs would be available. Would it be through the WotC website? I would be okay with them releasing articles that could be purchased for an ereader that you couldbuy tthrough Amazon or something. I realize they are unlikely to do so. It could be something like Dragon magazine, where you pay a monthly subscription fee for access to articles. I personally don't like this idea, as it means I would be paying for a lot of articles I would probably never read, but I guess the same argument could be made about sourcebooks.

If they go the pdf route, I hope they provide us with easy access to them. To be honest, I find navigating the WotC website a little complicated. The last time I tried to go on there, it didn't like my password, and when I tried to change it, I never received the email that provided me with the link (and yes I checked my spam folser). My point is, if they go digital, they better provide wide access to people. If the only way to find out what is going on in area X with person Y is to play game Z or read article ZZ...then a lot of people will miss out on information.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  20:29:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they go digital, I can almost guarantee that they'll be available here.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  21:20:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, it needs to be a thing where you only buy what you want, and I think it will be.

Regarding the magazines... even back when they were actually magazines we paid for an entire issue, including the stuff we didn't use. Nothing has changed (or probably will change) in that area.

I think it should be more palatable for sourcebooks and novels to be released electronically, because they're not assortments of articles on varied topics. Dragon magazine, back in the day, was crowded with advertisements and articles for stuff that wasn't even D&D related... useless to me, but I still had to buy it all in order to get what I wanted. This would be different. Each product (the 5e Cormyr book, or Waterdeep book, etc) is one product and you won't be paying for stuff you aren't interested in. (Of course, the "jacket" text synopsis that normally appears on the back of the book could be read before purchasing. But ultimately it's similar to buying a shrink-wrapped adventure from your FLGS back in the day, and the product would be better due to the benefits electronic products have for us.)

I'm sure they would be sold by a 3rd party, maybe dndclassics like Delwa is saying, so that WotC doesn't have to mess with all the insanity of running an online store. I hear it's a major headache, and it's surely cheaper to pay someone else a cut of the profits rather than hire a new crew of specialized employees.

I'm guessing WotC's major reluctance to "going digital" is the prediction that most gamers will just copy files from their friends rather than buying their own. I'm not savvy enough about digital security to address the issue of piracy from a security angle, but I'm confident that most gamers would rather have a legit copy and if the price is low enough most will buy their own. But $20 for a pdf isn't acceptable. Even $10 is pushing it. But I'm sure this is their worry... that going digital will equate to giving everything away for free. The answer is push the retail price down to where even teens (their target market apparently) can afford them in *relative* comfort.

Another part of the answer would be to get back into merchandising. D&D and FR (and every other setting) tshirts, mugs, toys, bumper stickers, keychains, and so forth. For every one person who scoffs in disgust there are several who go "Hells YES I want that!" Miniatures are the right idea, but it's likely that the production cost is high and therefore the profit margin low. Outsource those. Instead, go for stuff that's super cheap to make, and keep the purchase price low, and voila: revenue source.

Not to mention movies, movies, and movies. Hear this: I know the D&D movies so far have tanked... that's been due to stupid direction/production. The idea of a D&D movie is not like communism: it's not the case that it will just never work. LotR is too obvious, and it had a famous author. Think Avatar. There's no reason a D&D movie couldn't do as well as Avatar. Well, yes, there is one reason: stupid direction/production. Substitute good ideas in for the bad, and voila: problem solved.

There's no real money in video games, or in books -- these are bread & water; you survive on them, you don't thrive on them. Merchandising and movies is how you get nice things.

Their attempts to make lotto jackpot money from sourcebooks is how we've ended up with $50 price tags and hence (along with bad ideas on how to manage their settings) how they've failed. Time to get smart.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  23:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They've been back into merchandising. Mostly licensed t-shirts through both these sites. (The second link is down for maintenance.) I've been getting a few here and there. Love their Yawning Portal and Waterdeep t-shirts.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000