Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Infiltrating and escaping Oryndoll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

newbiedm
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  21:28:22  Show Profile  Visit newbiedm's Homepage Send newbiedm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How in the world would you do that?
Eilserus suggested finding a copy of Ioulaum's Longevity and casting it in the middle of hte city.
I like that, and want to go with that.
Using 5e, how could players realistically enter the city undetected and make their way out.
Posing as slavers? Their thoughts would likely give them away.
What to do?

Visit my D&D website at www.newbiedm.com

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  21:57:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My suggestion would be some magical items that conceal their thoughts, perhaps with an overlay of false thoughts, to foil mind-reading.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  00:10:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Convincing the duergar of Underspires to launch a major offensive and possibly the githyanki of Torglor too. A nice big distraction to allow the PC's to maybe slip in and wreak havoc.
Go to Top of Page

newbiedm
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  02:45:47  Show Profile  Visit newbiedm's Homepage Send newbiedm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was thinking of trying to amass a Githzerai army.... That would be cool.

Visit my D&D website at www.newbiedm.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  02:53:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greenstone amulets are your friend.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  03:09:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

As described on pages 41-2 of FR4 The Magister. Good call, on these.

Incidentally, a reference or two to greenstone amulets is what first got me hunting for that source, when I saw the items referenced in Forgotten Realms Adventures. I had to hunt for The Magister for literally years before I discovered eBay and decided to check there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Mar 2015 03:15:49
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  08:42:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My whole city back in 1989/90 when this arrived here had 2 copies. I managed to get one and drank it in for weeks. What a great book for realmslore.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  17:59:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It doesn't block any detection, so they still can notice something is up.
Also, it stops any telepathic communication, which interferes with a "legitimate" guise.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  18:52:20  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Also, it stops any telepathic communication, which interferes with a "legitimate" guise.

An amulet of misdirection from one of the dungeon crawl adventures for Undermountain. Magdoth's Castle (sp) I think?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  21:33:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I thought that the adventurers were going to go in "special-ops" style, do their thing and bug out as quickly as possible. Trying to be a part of the fabric of the city but yet immune to psionics is likely to be impossible in my view - instant suspicion would be generated in the illithids. My view is that any non-illithid who ventures into Oryndoll does so only with mind flayer permission and likely has a psionic tag placed on them that says to any illithid and illithid-servitor creature: "not food". Everyone else is up for grabs.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  22:28:30  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we are problably talking about high levels, i'd suggest polymorph any object the whole party (same reign +5 same size +2 same int +2 = 9 = permanent duration) into mindflayers, use of divinations spells and/or magic items (rary telephatic bond, detect thoughts, ecc ...) to mimicry telepathy and psionic shenaningans and go to town pretending you're faithful of Ilsensise in pilgrimage or something (i'm rusty on Oryndoll, isn't it like some sort of temple-city/theocratic Ilsensine stronghold?). Alternatively only someone turns into a mindflayer (caster/bard/psion/whoever has the means to fake being a mindflayer), the others are his mindthralls (could be tricky, needs some kind of fake brainscar or something on the thralls, maybe active enchantment spells cloaked with Nystul's to mess things up and make readings just get "mind controlled" without much details) since it would be hard to explain the greatswords and dwarven waraxe on a mindlfayer. Mechanics-wise this hinges on the campaign interpretation of psionics=magic or psionics=/=magic.

Of course all of this should require lots of roleplaying (at least on my table) but that's up to the DM and players. Otherwise just go hack'n'slash and see how long do you last.

On the hack'n'slash side of things, i suppose Oryndoll is externally protected by ethereal/astral shenanigans due to the githyanki threat, but if the players help the githyainki get a foothold in the perimeter, then they can go ethereal/astral and, provided they know where to go, they can get in and out without too much fighting (except for the initial fight alongside the giths).

Edited by - Demzer on 12 Mar 2015 22:30:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000