Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Infiltrating and escaping Oryndoll

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
newbiedm Posted - 10 Mar 2015 : 21:28:22
How in the world would you do that?
Eilserus suggested finding a copy of Ioulaum's Longevity and casting it in the middle of hte city.
I like that, and want to go with that.
Using 5e, how could players realistically enter the city undetected and make their way out.
Posing as slavers? Their thoughts would likely give them away.
What to do?

10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Demzer Posted - 12 Mar 2015 : 22:28:30
Since we are problably talking about high levels, i'd suggest polymorph any object the whole party (same reign +5 same size +2 same int +2 = 9 = permanent duration) into mindflayers, use of divinations spells and/or magic items (rary telephatic bond, detect thoughts, ecc ...) to mimicry telepathy and psionic shenaningans and go to town pretending you're faithful of Ilsensise in pilgrimage or something (i'm rusty on Oryndoll, isn't it like some sort of temple-city/theocratic Ilsensine stronghold?). Alternatively only someone turns into a mindflayer (caster/bard/psion/whoever has the means to fake being a mindflayer), the others are his mindthralls (could be tricky, needs some kind of fake brainscar or something on the thralls, maybe active enchantment spells cloaked with Nystul's to mess things up and make readings just get "mind controlled" without much details) since it would be hard to explain the greatswords and dwarven waraxe on a mindlfayer. Mechanics-wise this hinges on the campaign interpretation of psionics=magic or psionics=/=magic.

Of course all of this should require lots of roleplaying (at least on my table) but that's up to the DM and players. Otherwise just go hack'n'slash and see how long do you last.

On the hack'n'slash side of things, i suppose Oryndoll is externally protected by ethereal/astral shenanigans due to the githyanki threat, but if the players help the githyainki get a foothold in the perimeter, then they can go ethereal/astral and, provided they know where to go, they can get in and out without too much fighting (except for the initial fight alongside the giths).
George Krashos Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 21:33:03
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Greenstone amulets are your friend.

It doesn't block any detection, so they still can notice something is up.
Also, it stops any telepathic communication, which interferes with a "legitimate" guise.

I thought that the adventurers were going to go in "special-ops" style, do their thing and bug out as quickly as possible. Trying to be a part of the fabric of the city but yet immune to psionics is likely to be impossible in my view - instant suspicion would be generated in the illithids. My view is that any non-illithid who ventures into Oryndoll does so only with mind flayer permission and likely has a psionic tag placed on them that says to any illithid and illithid-servitor creature: "not food". Everyone else is up for grabs.

-- George Krashos
Rymac Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 18:52:20
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Also, it stops any telepathic communication, which interferes with a "legitimate" guise.

An amulet of misdirection from one of the dungeon crawl adventures for Undermountain. Magdoth's Castle (sp) I think?
TBeholder Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 17:59:51
quote:

George Krashos Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 08:42:51
My whole city back in 1989/90 when this arrived here had 2 copies. I managed to get one and drank it in for weeks. What a great book for realmslore.

-- George Krashos
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 03:09:52
quote:

-- George Krashos

As described on pages 41-2 of FR4 The Magister. Good call, on these.

Incidentally, a reference or two to greenstone amulets is what first got me hunting for that source, when I saw the items referenced in Forgotten Realms Adventures. I had to hunt for The Magister for literally years before I discovered eBay and decided to check there.
George Krashos Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 02:53:01

-- George Krashos
newbiedm Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 02:45:47
Yeah, I was thinking of trying to amass a Githzerai army.... That would be cool.
Eilserus Posted - 11 Mar 2015 : 00:10:17
Convincing the duergar of Underspires to launch a major offensive and possibly the githyanki of Torglor too. A nice big distraction to allow the PC's to maybe slip in and wreak havoc.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Mar 2015 : 21:57:10
My suggestion would be some magical items that conceal their thoughts, perhaps with an overlay of false thoughts, to foil mind-reading.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000