Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A few questions about Rangers and Deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FallenRanger
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  15:04:03  Show Profile Send FallenRanger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hye guys, I'm going to play 2E with a few friends soon. I'm making a Ranger, and I'd like to know a few things beforehand:

1) Can Rangers follow multiple deities?

2) Is there such a thing as a ranger who somehow doesn't worship any gods? If so, where do they draw their powers from?

3) What happens when a ranger loses/changes faith?

4) I know Oghma's clergy is mostly composed of priests, bards and wizards. Do you think a ranger in their ranks could make sense?

5) For a ranger loosely based on Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher series, who devotes his life to hunting unnatural beasts for coin, which deity do you think he would most likely follow? Maybe Shaundakul?

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  15:29:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me rangers never really worked as DnD defined them (neither did druids or anything nature related).

The requirement for a student of nature to worship a deity seems somewhat at odds with itself.

Making rangers cast spells is also something i was never particularly comfortable with.

In 3rd edition i believe they made it so that you could worship "nature" as an amalgamation of the three main nature deities (Silvanus and the others i cant remember) but that still wasnt good enough for me.

So in my realms a ranger (and a druid) actually derives power from the planet itself, unless they worship a deity in which case they can derive power from that deity instead.

But i also allow free form classes so rangers in my realms do not necesssarily cast spells, and if they do they might cast wizard spells rather than druid or priest spells (which they can also cast).

I guess what you choose to do is up to you. If you play 3rd edition then you can use the "nature" embodiment of all three deities or you could try my idea and make the class independent of the clergy (unless the deity also has rangers as clergy members).

If you dont like spellcasting rangers, or it doesnt suit your idea for a ranger then making rangers independent of the clergy is now easier and i believe a non spellcasting variant of the ranger appeared in Unearthed Arcana (3e).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  22:15:11  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rangers can follow multiple deities in 2e; for example, followers of Gwaeron Windstrom are also part of Mielikki's faith. One deity will still need to be paramount, which determines any special spells and such (I personally wouldn't let a ranger who follows Mielikki and Silvanus get the unique spells of each; they'd have to choose one). In 2nd edition Realms canon, all characters who get priest spells must worship a deity. A ranger losing faith is much like a paladin losing faith; he becomes a fighter of the same level (losing excess XP if a fighter would be higher level) and loses the benefits of the ranger class. If the ranger changes faith, they'd probably follow the rule for clerics and lose a level, but that's not clearly stated anywhere.

Oghma's church sponsors a naturalist society called the Fellows of the Forest (see Faiths & Avatars, p.133); there's no additional information in the book, but there could definitely be rangers in this group who gain their spells from Oghma and spend their time cataloging and protecting wild spaces.

Gwaeron Windstrom might be a better choice for your idea if the campaign is based in the northern Sword Coast region. Most of the other nature deities would be doable, but you probably wouldn't be a formal part of the church, IMO.

Of course, your DM has final say on all these matters.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  00:55:11  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never really thought that Rangers and Druids needed to follow a deity, since to me that would basically make them Paladins/Clerics. Always thought that they just "worshipped" nature.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  02:08:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 4e it's not required that Rangers and Druids follow a deity in FR, and in 5e only Clerics and someone with the Acolyte background are required to worship a deity. Even Paladins don't have to anymore, which I don't like, but I'll live with it. This is according to the adventurers league.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  12:32:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FallenRanger
(...)
5) For a ranger loosely based on Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher series, who devotes his life to hunting unnatural beasts for coin, which deity do you think he would most likely follow? Maybe Shaundakul?

Not specifically for coin, but there is an order of Mystra-worshipping rangers which hunt summoned, magically altered beasts or other "magical threats that threaten the natural order of things". They belong to the Order of the Shooting Star. (see 2e Faiths & Avatars, p. 130)

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page