Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Triton names in Sea of Fallen Stars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  08:26:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So last night I'm trawling through Steven Schend's excellent "Sea of Fallen Stars" sourcebook and come across a small bit about names for tritons. Something about male names ending in "s" and female names ending in "n".

An hour or so later, wishing to revisit that bit of the book I realise that for the life of me I can't find it. After 20 minutes of useless page turning I gave up in disgust at myself - I can't find that reference anywhere.

Any enterprising loremaster want to point me in the right direction?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  08:38:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is the section you are referring to (the punctuation doesnt copy well out of the book but the extra full stops are probably speech marks)

quote:
Triton names follow simple patterns. All cities and sites are named after a figure important to that location, and colonies/protectorates take the name of their primary founder. All triton names have any number of syllables, though the standard is two or three. All male names end in a vowel and .s,. though names from 500 years or more back varied slightly from this and only ended in .s.. All female names end with an .n.. Collective terms, whether discussing the colonies surrounding a capital or the family members of a particular parent, simply add a .th. with an interceding vowel where needed to refer to the conglomerate (Numynath can mean the possessions or children of Numyn, depending on the context).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
550 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  10:55:39  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Specifically, that's pages 156-157, the Triton section of the Encyclopedia Serosica.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  11:40:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much. I was going quite mad.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 17 Feb 2015 11:41:17
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  11:54:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate it when i cant remember where i just read something. Doing Moonshae research i found so many interesting bits on Netheril and i stupidly didnt write them down so now i will never find it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  17:06:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I was going quite mad.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000