Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Does anyone in FR farm oozes? If not, Why?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  19:18:08  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there precedent in a sourcebook (or a novel even) as to how oozes without the Split special quality reproduce?

How've you handled similar as a DM?

Any suggestions for a DM or player as to the farming of non-Split-enabled oozes?

Question came up in a game when players caught a Gelatinous Cube and started asking around looking to find an expert in the thing's care and handling.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  19:37:18  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well unseenmage, I think it's time to have "THE TALK".

No, seriously, I have no idea.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  20:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe oozes that don't split infect a host organism, much like mold, and the "ooze spores" slowly devour their host until a colony of spores known as said oooze spawns.

I don't have anything official though.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:16:11  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was making something up, I'd probably say 1HD of biomass adds 1HP to the ooze, once it reaches max hit points for hit die, it splits or spawns a copy with its next meal.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:23:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O.
And on this farm he had an ooze, E-I-E-I-O.
With a squish-squish and a squish-squish there,
Here a squish, there a squish, everywhere a squish-squish!
Old MacDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:25:10  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did find something regarding the Gelatinous Cube, per Dragon Magazine 124 and Ed's Ecology of the Gelatinous Cube: "Normal-sized cubes divide after a period of six years. Each of the two resulting cubes has 3 HD, half the number of hit points the "parent" cube originally had, and a size of slightly under 8' x 8' x 8'. These "little" cubes grow to maturity in three months."
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:37:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Farmers would need to feed their livestock. Can't be a pretty sight.

Countless adventures have nominally intelligent monsters make use of oozes, jellies, slimes, etc. Things like bands of goblins using a slime/whatever as an added killer ingredient within some pit, trap, or ambush. They are presumably fond of such "pets" since they make efforts to keep them well-fed and active. I'm not sure goblins would be bright enough to farm such creatures, but dwarves and drow and illithids certainly would be.

Many adventures make odd mentions of using some jello creature as a tool or weapon. A character might, for example, purchase a living green slime in a jar which he could hurl at enemies or pour onto a soon-to-be-dissolved iron gate. Thieves' guilds and alchemists may sometimes offer things of this sort for sale. I don't think "people" really bother to farm jello ... more likely they just go hunting for some (probably at usually-avoided jello colonies) whenever the need arises.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:58:05  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Farm them? I have no clue.

But I did hear that Bill Cosby does commercials for them.

"J-E...L-L...O."

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  01:09:28  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... My major question would be "why would you *want* to?"

What possible appeal in farming oozes is there? Unless you're like a drow who worships Ghaundar?

As for a somewhat serious answer, I'm with Eliserus; dividing after a period of time sounds about right.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  02:46:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, various types of oozes could perform very important cleaning functions in major cities if contained. Especially if they're decaying bodies can be found to be useful for some purpose. So, as a for instance, you have unclean sewage draining into an ooze, but you then allow it to "escape" into some area specially designed to contain it and kill it... then you drain off the dead body to use its chemicals in purifying metals or somesuch. I'm not the "chemist" type, but I'm sure someone with that type of mindset could definitely find some actual uses for them

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  01:09:13  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, an FR-equivalent of pudding farming? http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Pudding_farming

Edited by - see on 15 Feb 2015 01:11:02
Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  05:17:44  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a town mentioned in the Elminster's Ecology boxed set, which was surrounded by a moat filled with ochre jellies? I remember wondering how that could work in 3e, where jellies had a climb speed.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  05:23:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stones Finder

Wasn't there a town mentioned in the Elminster's Ecology boxed set, which was surrounded by a moat filled with ochre jellies? I remember wondering how that could work in 3e, where jellies had a climb speed.

Even with a climb speed, it's not difficult to engineer something to be unclimbable. Sheer surfaces or a negative incline readily come to mind.

Go to Top of Page

Stones Finder
Acolyte

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  06:09:38  Show Profile Send Stones Finder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True enough, but I'm pretty sure I've seen published examples of oozes clinging to sheer walls, and even ceilings. I got the impression it was comparable to a Spider Climb effect.

Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it - Advice for the 5e design team
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  06:43:34  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theme song for a pack of oozes:
quote:
"Stuck on you
Got this feelin' down deep in my soul that I just can't lose
Yes, I'm on my way

"Needed a friend
And the way that I'm feelin' guess I'll be with you till the end
Yes, I'm on my way

"Mighty glad you stayed"

Can't you see them looking toward each other as they attempt to climb out, egging each other on?

And then slipping and plopping down to the floor, licking each other's wounds?

Er, maybe not. No, not me, either. Whose idea was that, anyway?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2392 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  12:40:01  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unseenmage

Is there precedent in a sourcebook (or a novel even) as to how oozes without the Split special quality reproduce?

Can't remember any.
Biological common sense says "spores", though.
quote:
Any suggestions for a DM or player as to the farming of non-Split-enabled oozes?

Depends on the creature.
quote:
Question came up in a game when players caught a Gelatinous Cube and started asking around looking to find an expert in the thing's care and handling.

I don't see why an amorphous creature cannot be split anyway. Budding as a normal form of reproduction is one thing, ability of small pieces to survive and regrow is another, and said pieces being fully functional immediately upon chopping is third.
Just like many plants with seeds are easier to farm via vegetative propagation even if they normally don't initiate on their own in the wild.
If you only need shaved pieces viable on the scale of no more than ~1 day (for raw lifeforce/chemicals), it's probably enough to guillotine off a thin slice, then feed the rest with organic waste so that it regrows.

The question here is whether Gelatinous Cube is amorphous enough. Probably it is.

As to the thread subject - in itself, not a big problem, but there are surroundings to consider. Anything long-term in this area may eventually become an opening for Ghaunadaur. Assuming no one would mistake the "farmer" for a follower thereof first. Since those most interested in this matter are the drow, well... fast-talking may prove not quite fast enough.

quote:
Originally posted by Arian Dynas

... My major question would be "why would you *want* to?"
What possible appeal in farming oozes is there?

• Weaponry, especially as catapult projectile payload (canonical in Spelljammer, BTW).

• "Anything-with-hitpoint" for necromantic purpose, such as lifeforce transfer (as in, Vampiric Touch via something enchanted, then Stavros's Healing Touch to the patient) or feeding the thing to a lifejammer.

• Relatively compact and closed waste disposal system (this goes well with the previous point).

• Bio-alchemical processing, i.e. a way to produce and then extract some useful substances. In case of Gelatinous Cube it may be anesthetic, solvent (digestive fluid) and glue, others may give much more interesting stuff, especially fire- and cold- resistant ones.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  07:23:53  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Relatively compact and closed waste disposal system (this goes well with the previous point).

Seems this is the direction the players had in mind.

Though if they thought it would survive acting as catapult ammo they'd likely enjoy that use too.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  12:53:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wonder how gelatinous cube digestive fluid works as a wart remover.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  12:58:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

wonder how gelatinous cube digestive fluid works as a wart remover.

Well, if you get stuck in a gelatinous cube, it will certainly remove your warts.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  16:04:13  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, if you get stuck in a gelatinous cube, it will certainly remove your warts.

Extract of gelatinous cube digestive fluid is the Botox of the Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  21:40:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps also good for cleaning tarnished swords and armour, dusty old leather, and yellow-stained dentures?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  00:35:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Extract of gelatinous cube digestive fluid is the Botox of the Realms!

****disclaimer on the bottle******

This product was not tested on animals... lesser humanoids captured fairly in battle, but no animals....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000