Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 For those who have old issues of Dungeon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  22:29:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a request

One of the guys over on the enworld forum has compiled a list of all the index pages from Dungeon magazine and while scanning it I noticed quite a few 1 and 2ed FR modules now given that WOTC are no longer doing modules I thought these old modules might be a good source of adventures

However before I scour the web and spend a small fortune I thought Id get the opinions of those who already have the mags

Of the following modules Id appreciated it if you could tell me

1) Where the modules set?

2) Is the module suitable for play in 1373? (ie a module set in Tilverton would no longer be suitable as the city doesnt exist)

3) What experience you had running or playing this module?

Ok heres the list

Issue #30

…And a Dozen Eggs (FR; 1-3) Waterdeep’s sewers were only moderately dangersou until the Mesozoic moved in

Elminster’s Back Door (FR; any; by Ed Greenwood) Before you try the door, ask yourself this: Am I feeling lucky today

Issue #52

Welcome to the Kryphome (FR; 1-3) Wild magic: need we say more?

Issue #53

Steelheart (FR; 7-9) Two great evils that go great together

Issue #54*

Fiends of Tethyr (FR; 6-8) Fiends are dangerous enough, but something even more dangerous plagues Tethyr

Issue #61

STORM SEASON (FORGOTTEN REALMS; 7-12; Paul F. Culotta; 16 p.) Mysterious thunderstorms fill the night, heralding the arrival of the sinister Night Parade.

Issue #63*

HUZZA'S GOBLIN-O-WAR (FORGOTTEN REALMS; 4-7; Paul F. Culotta; 4 p.) The heroes' ship is attacked by Huzza, a notorious hill giant pirate, and his crew of gargoyles and goblins.

Issue #64*

GROTTO OF THE QUEEN (FORGOTTEN REALMS; 6-9; Paul and Shari Culotta; 16 p.) Clerics of Umberlee have stolen a magical boat capable of travelling underwater. To retrieve the craft, the heroes must penetrate the B!tch Queen's underground temple.

PS Im exstremely amused that WOTC pet name for Umberlee sets off the censorship software on this board

Issue #65*

BEAST WITHIN, THE (FORGOTTEN REALMS; 1-3; Paul Hamilton Beattie, Jr.; 4 p.) A priest of Ilmater is afflicted with the curse of lycanthropy

Issue #67 *
WITCHES' BREW (FORGOTTEN REALMS; 3-5; Steve Johnson; 20 p.) An herbalist needs brave heroes to retrieve some magical potion ingredients, all of which are found in the woods around Woody Glen

TRAINING GROUND (FORGOTTEN REALMS; 5-8; Rick Maffei; 20 p.) Heroes explore the lost dungeon of a Netherese mage

Issue #69
SLAVE VATS OF THE YUAN-TI (Forgotten Realms; 3-5; Jason Kuhl; 18p.) Strange things are a-slither in Wolfhill house. The first adventure of THe Mere of Dead Men series

SLEEP OF AGES (Forgotten Realms; 5-8; Eric Boyd; 30p.) The forces of good, evil and neutrality clash beneath the Omlarandin Mountains.

Issue # 70 *

SSSCALLY THINGS (Forgotten Realms; 3-6; Kent Ertman; 14 p.) Can you stop the raids of the Three Towers Tribe? The second adventure of The Mere of Dead Men series

Issue #71 *

DREADFUL VESTIGES (Forgotten Realms; 4-7; Steve Johnson; 14 p.) Some haunted houses are best left unexplored. The third adventure of The Mere of Dead Men series

Issue #72 *

Mistress on the Mere (Forgotten Realms, 5-7) The fate of brave heroes is written in the stars. The fourth module of the Mere of the Dead Men series.

Issue #73

Eye of Myrkul (Forgotten Realms, 6-8) Retrieve the bones of a dracolich to save the life of a paladin. The epic conclusion of the Mere of Dead Men series

Issue #75

Into the Nest of Vipers (Forgotten Realms, 1-3) A Priest of Talona has concocted the deadliest poison, and this Assassins’ Guild is willing to kill for it.

Issue #79

The Akriloth (Forgotten Realms, 10-12) One year after Iakhovas’s rampage across the Sea of Fallen Stars, the mer-city of Voalidru remains in the clutches of evil. Can you free the city from Qol’in’taroq?

Issue #80

The Frothing Miscreant (Forgotten Realms, 2-4) An ill-tempered gnome takes revenge to new heights and proves to the world that he’s no small threat.

Also does anyone know of a place where you can buy out of print Dungeon magazines? Other than Pazio as they are out of stock for some of the mags

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  00:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can answer about #72.
It is convertable, if you're willing to find the stats for a penangalan.
It wasn't that good(Might have been better had I read the three before it.).
Apparently, the whole series was horrible.
I personally prefered the (foggy remembrances here) 'jaunt to the Elemental Plane of Water(Even though it was formulaic)' and 'necromancer's house' adventures.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  01:38:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, the renowned Realms scribe Faraer, may have information, or at the very least, some details on these questions that you have posed. Perhaps you should contact him by ethereal mail...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

thefeem
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  23:53:19  Show Profile  Visit thefeem's Homepage Send thefeem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I purchased the old B1 Quest from the Unknown. The company that makes it is now called Hackmaster. It was the first module I played many years ago. This is easy to convert to the FR Campaign because it is basically a dangeon that the DM populates with various monsters. I put a tribe of hobgoblins led by a Cleric of Bane from the Zents. A few other NPCs are in their as leaders.

I also purchased several of these thin mini-modules at the WOC store. These are easy to place an convert to the FR campaings. DMs just need to use a little imagination to adopt them to their campaigns.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  02:41:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefeem

I purchased the old B1 Quest from the Unknown. The company that makes it is now called Hackmaster. It was the first module I played many years ago. This is easy to convert to the FR Campaign because it is basically a dangeon that the DM populates with various monsters. I put a tribe of hobgoblins led by a Cleric of Bane from the Zents. A few other NPCs are in their as leaders.

Hackmaster has done that for quite a number of the classic modules including the Giant and Drow ones. Worth checking out for the memories if nothing else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000