Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ships
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zadiac
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  05:49:28  Show Profile  Visit zadiac's Homepage Send zadiac a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My group has decided to become evil and go pirating.
Where can i find rules for ship combat?
They are in the Sea of Fallen Stars if that makes a difference.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  07:03:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e Pirates of the Fallen Stars tome has some rather unique rules for ship combat, as well as ship movement. However the rules are in 2e format, and if your campaign is set in the 3e FR, the rules will require some conversion.

Also, depending upon the level of complexity and realism that you want to include with regards to ship combat in this campaign, you may want to check out the highly cinematic rules from the '7th Sea' accessories published by AEG. Granted the rules are designed for a different game environment, but a large number of D&D gamers have made conversions of these rules and regularly use them in their own games. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, but have never had the time necessary to devote to such a project.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  08:18:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage's recommendation of Pirates of the Fallen Stars is a great sourcebook

Id also recommend you try to get hold of the 2nd edition AD&D product - Of Ships and Sea (one of the blue DM's supplements) it contains much information on what youre after.

Oh how I miss the DM supplements and PHBR's

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  08:35:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, thanks Rad...

The only tome missing from my collection of the various blue DM's supplements, and you have to remind me of it...

No, I'm just joking... . I'm not angry, it's just that I really could have made extensive use of this tome back in my 2e days. I tried looking for it everywhere, but could never find a copy. Although, a friend of mine (before he moved) did have a copy, and you are right, the information (from what I can remember) contained within was considerable indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2004 :  08:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Gee, thanks Rad...

The only tome missing from my collection of the various blue DM's supplements, and you have to remind me of it...

No, I'm just joking... . I'm not angry, it's just that I really could have made extensive use of this tome back in my 2e days. I tried looking for it everywhere, but could never find a copy. Although, a friend of mine (before he moved) did have a copy, and you are right, the information (from what I can remember) contained within was considerable indeed.

hehehehe The whole series of DM's supplements was great, IMO that was the greatest period of AD&D 2nd edition releases, TSR did some damn good stuff around that point. It still pains me to tear myself away from 2nd edition and learn to love 3/3.5, not due to the rules but because of some of the great 2nd ed. products that will likely never be reproduced as 3rd ed.

Anyway, enough, im going off-topic.

In addition to Pirates of the Fallen Stars, there is also the Sea of Fallen Stars sourcebook which is worth taking a look at.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  17:49:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They ought to release the remakes as web enhancements. Perhaps as a $5 PDF or somesuch.

Fortunately, a lot of information is useful regardless of edition.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  01:34:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed...

I still find some limited use from all my 2e Class, and Race Handbooks. I know that some of the information is dated, but in other areas it's changed very little despite the newer edition of the game.

There are also some areas of these tomes that include more information than their 3e counterparts.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  07:41:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, obviously. The more recent editions have to make room for all those sample characters, where they repeat all the information sic ad nauseum.

(Hello? Do we really need to have another explanation of "Dwarf Traits"? Especially since it was explained in the example on the previous page? )

When you're dealing with electronic format, that's one thing. But it's such a waste when the dead-tree version doesn't use the format Ed Greenwood pioneered, where things like "Lawful Good human male Paladin 9/Knight Protector 2 of Helm" can be shortend to "LG hm Pal9/KnightProt2 (Helm)" -- or something like that. And then we don't need an explanation of what "Smite Evil" does, or other class features easily found elsewhere. Then you could use the room to say how this person is likely to act in common situations. Character history. Life goals. (Well, okay, he's a paladin of Helm, so his life goals are obvious. )

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  07:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm divided over this issue. Reprinting bits from the core rulebooks is absolutely useless, and reprinting bits from the same book is moronic. However, it does help the cut down on my load when I don't have to carry around an extra book just for that one NPC.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  07:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's when you copy things out.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  08:23:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yeah...?

We do have a tendency to head right off-topic don't we...?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  17:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::whistles innocently::

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000