Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Point buy system question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  22:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My players recently suffered through a meal with wild critters...unfortunately, they were the main course. They did express interest in re-rolling their characters, but they wanted a slightly higher-power group.

I figured I would let them do the point buy system, and was wondering, for 4th level characters, what would be a high powered, (but not ridiculously so) amount of points that they could use?

Opinions, facts, speculation and hunches are all welcome.

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  15:00:40  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well in several games that i have participated we do power rolls instead of the point buy system. Power rols consist of rolling 5d6 and keeping all 5 for a statistic, it may say overpowerful but it really is suprising to see some one roll two tens, an eighteen, an eleven, and two thirteens, he had to keep them for a bit but he complained enough that the dm let him reroll. he still didnt end up with a great bit of power. But it is a good way to power up their characters, and not keep them overpowered, you can intrude if they have too many large rolls, you are the dm after all.

You could drop it down to 6d6 and keep 4 if you wanted.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Demonwise
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  17:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Demonwise's Homepage Send Demonwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rolling 5d6 drop two lowest gives a good average of 2 bonus per stat. (12 in all)

For point buy, 36 is resonable. If you buy average in all, you could get a 12 bonus in all. If you ain't sure, try this page:

http://www.invisiblecastle.com/

It lets you use pointbuy (if you go in under roll stats) and there you can choose your own amount of points. Experiment a little, and find out what you like the most.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  19:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! That is quite useful
Go to Top of Page

Demonwise
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Demonwise's Homepage Send Demonwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me know what you find out! So I have a general idea, if the problem should present it self to me, someday.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  21:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a bit of toying around at The Invisible Castle I have decided to let my players have 65 points to spend. It will let them max out 3 stats, or makeall stats decent. If later, they become too powerful, it will be all too easy to knock them down a peg or two
Go to Top of Page

Demonwise
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  21:42:01  Show Profile  Visit Demonwise's Homepage Send Demonwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That ain't a small sum of points.. Well, its your game :)
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  22:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, also, my campaign is a bit tougher than I thought it would be. Those critters I was talking about in the first post up there, was a small group of Barghests
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  17:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sixty-five! That's over twice the amount recomended by the DMG for a high-powered game!

Sage, want to lob a few points my way?

What? I was just asking . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  21:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Sixty-five! That's over twice the amount recomended by the DMG for a high-powered game!

Well, the DMG also remcommends to make the difficulty fit your players, but apparently I didn't listen to that either. None of my players read this site, so I can safely say that their endgame boss is a Black Dragon Triad They will have all 3 attack them at once. **maniacal laughter**
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  21:07:19  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Sage, want to lob a few points my way?

What? I was just asking . . . .

Getting greedy? Okay, you'll get 64 points for Kevin - but then I'll have to take in account the inflation... <does some calculations>... and you'll end up with approximately the same number of 32 points you started out with .

Points don't necessarily matter for a DM who knows how to handle them - just make the monsters and challenges tougher and more deadly. In other words, it ought to be a wash, as long as all teh characters (and monsters) are within the correct balanced proportions.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  03:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is what I was thinking! Plus, I can do an ability draining "power-up" to 'fix' it. I had already discussed this with my players, and they agreed to stand by my decision. My players are good like that, Too bad one of them's moving soon.

Edit: And by
"Plus, I can do an ability draining "power-up" to 'fix' it." I mean like giving a 'permanent ability drain' to a monster that has the ability drain power.

Edited by - Icewolf on 29 Feb 2004 03:52:47
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2004 :  04:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Getting greedy? Okay, you'll get 64 points for Kevin - but then I'll have to take in account the inflation... <does some calculations>... and you'll end up with approximately the same number of 32 points you started out with .

Blasted taxmen . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

RogueAssassin
Learned Scribe

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2004 :  01:36:51  Show Profile  Visit RogueAssassin's Homepage Send RogueAssassin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouldnt be bad to have my halfling have a 18 for dex str and con....take this frost giants...

-The Rogue

"Spirit. Its a Heros strength, a mothers resiliance, and the poor mans armor. It cannot be broken and it cannot be taken away. This i must belive"---Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

thefeem
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2004 :  06:38:43  Show Profile  Visit thefeem's Homepage Send thefeem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always played that if I gave player characters a set number of points to make them potential heros, then every major NPC would have the same rules apply to them. That is a way of balancing things out and making it difficult for the players.
A small group of orcs is one thing. But when you throw in a couple of orcs with levels of barbarian as leaders then things can get interesting. Remember to modify your scores my using the DMs Guide on page 58. (+4 Str, -2 Int, -2 Wis, -2 Cha).
Also they could have a cleric of Gruumsh and/or a human wizard (Zhent/Red Wizard/Cult of Dragon) depending on your campaign.
This takes a bit more work as a DM, but if you have the time go ahead.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000