Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 5e reviews
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  16:16:05  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been away from D&D for quite a very long time now. I remember the last time I played a game was at the very start of the 4th edition release (where there were plenty of people who didn't like it).
After coming back, I just realized that there is now a 5th edition. Wow! And that was really fast as well.
I've played D&D 3.5, 4e and SARNFU before. And their rules seems to be very different from each other.
I'd like to ask what the major changes to 5th edition are?

Some specific questions I'd like to ask would be...
= In 3.5 there wasn't that much of a difference except for special attacks unlocked by feats..and wizard, sorcerers, clerics, and other casters had similar spells but different loadouts
In 4th edition, I noticed that there were the addition of powers, in which every class had a different set of abilites to put in a fight.
What's different in 5e if this is the case?

= New Skills?

= Caster spells?

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  22:03:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by creyzi4zb12

I've been away from D&D for quite a very long time now. I remember the last time I played a game was at the very start of the 4th edition release (where there were plenty of people who didn't like it).
After coming back, I just realized that there is now a 5th edition. Wow! And that was really fast as well.

Eh, seems to me that the cycle is pretty much on track. 3E came out in 2000 and then a revision of the system in 2003. A new game in 2008 and then another revision of that game in 2011. Then another new game in 2013. There about every 5 years or so we get a new edition and a partial revision of that game under WotC. I would not be suprised to see some sort of revamping or some other game-altering thing occur to the license around 2015 or 2016 and the possibility of a new version in 2018 or so.

But who knows, they might stick to this one for 15 years or more?

quote:

I've played D&D 3.5, 4e and SARNFU before. And their rules seems to be very different from each other.
I'd like to ask what the major changes to 5th edition are?

Some specific questions I'd like to ask would be...
= In 3.5 there wasn't that much of a difference except for special attacks unlocked by feats..and wizard, sorcerers, clerics, and other casters had similar spells but different loadouts
In 4th edition, I noticed that there were the addition of powers, in which every class had a different set of abilites to put in a fight.
What's different in 5e if this is the case?

Little bit of column A and a little bit from column B. In this regards Sorcerers, Warlocks, Wizards, Eldritch Knights ALL draw from the Wizard's spell list (like in pre-4E) but they access and use these spell differently. Clerics have their own list and the Paladin borrows some spells from here in addition to their own unique spells like Smites (sort of a combination between 3E and 4E). Druids have their own spell list as well to which Rangers draw from as well as have a few of their own trademark spells too (unlike 4E where the Ranger was a non-spellcasting class).

Aside from that classes lost individuality as far as signature attacks go. No more specific attacks in the form of 4E powers. A Fighter does, however, have the option to take the Battle Master sub-path which relies on maneuvers that refresh after an hours rest. There are also a lot of other classes that rely on "short rest" recharging such as the Monk's Flurry of Blows and the Cleric's Channel Divinity. But for the most part it's back to "whack whack whack" for the majority of non-spellcasters and the player pretty much describes what he does.

quote:

= New Skills?

New? Eh sorta....? Like previous editions they're tied to Ability Scores. It's not like in 3e/v3.5 where you put ranks into them if that's what you're asking. You have a selection of Skills from your Class and Background. For example if you were to play a Fighter who's background was Criminal, you'd automatically gain Deception (Charisma) and Stealth (Dexterity) plus two additional skills from your Fighter class. A higher level Intelligence does nothing to give you more skills. you then add your Proficiency Bonus to any skills your proficient with. If you're not proficient then you just make an Ability Check.

quote:

= Caster spells?

Similar to pre-4E as far as levels go (1st thru 9th level as opposed to 13th, 20th, 29th level spells) and many of the spells have retained their pre-4E level such as Fireball, Fly, Haste being 3rd level, Magic Missile being 1st, etc. However the amount of spells is drastically reduced. A 20th level Magic-User (Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Cleric, Druid, etc) is only ever getting ONE 9th level spell. Ability score modifiers don't give you bonus spells. Further spells rely on spell-level rather than Caster Level. For example a 9th level Wizard who prepares Magic Missile as a 1st level spell is only getting 1st level spell effects (3d4+3 automatic force damage) but they can prepare it as a 3rd level spell (5d4+5 force damage) or a 5th level spell (7d4+7 force damage) to make the damage better.

Then there's cantrips which are always available spells usable at-will. The ones that do damage are based on and advance in damage with Character level. Thus a Wizard 1/ Fighter 9 who casts Acid Splash deals 2d6 damage, the same as a Wizard 10. Further armor does not impose any penalties on spellcasting though you need to find a way to become proficient with armor via Feats or Multiclassing.

As for Feats, they're a lot bigger now and you get FAR less of them throughout your character's career. You also have to sacrifice Ability Score improvements to get feats. This is completely based on class and certain classes, like the Fighter, get FAR more choices in this regard (total 7 in all) compared to say the Wizard (who gets 5). In terms of "Bigger" I mean they do a lot more than just one singular feature. They're often grouped with 2 or 3 attributes and often include proficiency with stuff like Tools, Weapons, and Armor.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention that the Basic Rules can be downloaded for free and you can find all the source information HERE . The Basics include the Human, Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling with the Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, and Wizard as classes. They each come with 1 iconic Sub-Path too.

Edited by - Diffan on 15 Jan 2015 22:21:02
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  04:22:45  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Divan. The only thing I'm complaining right now in 5e is the lack of books/source materials.

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  14:15:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that is the thing I am loving about 5e. Its MY game, not a bunch of guys living over in Renton.

To each their own, I guess. I am playing and loving (5e)D&D, like I haven't in years; even 3e didn't inspire me like this.

IMO, rulebooks are for the players - I rarely ever use them. And my players don't need to invest 500+ dollars just to have fun. You want to memorize a ton of stuff 90% of which you will never use, read the encyclopedia. You want to have fun, break out some dice and have at it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2015 14:15:54
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  15:43:53  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks a lot Divan. The only thing I'm complaining right now in 5e is the lack of books/source materials.

Well, it only came out in the last 6 months or so, give it some time... :) There's the PHB, MM, DMG, Starter Box, and a couple of decent hard-back adventures already to get you going.

Also, you can download the rules FOR FREE which include four classes, four races, some monsters, and everything you need to play. Check it out here:

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Personally, I feel like 5e harkens more back to 2e, but built on a d20 chassis. Having played 3.5 and 4e, I really like the less structured feel of 5e. DM agency is more prominent, and less rules-lawyers on the part of the players. Definitely two thumbs up from our group.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  20:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll chime in and agree with what's been said. I'm loving 5e. I was part of the playtest from the first packet, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. As a DM, my prep time is much easier to manage, and combat runs faster and smoother for me. Like several others have pointed out, the system inspires me to be creative, something prior editions didn't do so much (for me, YMMV.)

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  21:10:19  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks a lot Diffan. The only thing I'm complaining right now in 5e is the lack of books/source materials.

There's a LOT of material so far to play around with in the core rules alone. With 13 classes, each with 2 of its own sub-paths, and the multiclass rules and over 7 races AND feats....there's not much you can't recreate from previous edition barring a few corner cases or specifics.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  21:14:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rils

Personally, I feel like 5e harkens more back to 2e, but built on a d20 chassis. Having played 3.5 and 4e, I really like the less structured feel of 5e. DM agency is more prominent, and less rules-lawyers on the part of the players. Definitely two thumbs up from our group.

I don't agree that it harkens back to 2E because I like 5E for a number of reasons and I absolutely loathe pre-3E D&D (any edition). I'm not entirely sure how 5E is similar to pre-3E D&D considering so many system structures are taken directly from 4th and 3rd editions.

I will admit that DM Agency is becoming a pain as I'm not a fan of MORE adjudication on my part when I DM it. Its far easier to just refer to a rule or mechanic rather than coming up with my own rulings ALL the time. Maybe this is the pre-3E part of the game people are talking about? If it is, it's a point of the game that I really don't like. I rely on consistency and it's helpful when that consistency is maintained via system rather than each individual DM.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000