Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Fate of Volo (speculative/creative)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  05:49:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Several scribes apparently have plans for Volo which have gone beyond the canon as we know it so far. This threat is aimed at diverting distractions from Ed's Q&A thread, as well as sharing ideas.

What have you done with him?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 10 Jan 2015 05:51:36

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  05:54:22  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

maybe he's a stone statue in Mirt's garden.

I like this. Or he might have been polymorphed and dropped into Undermountain, and we met him as Grovel in the original NWN game.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  06:19:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't do anything with Volo, myself... Instead, I created a character who was inspired by Volo.

He's a mage with no legs, who floats around everywhere, and really enjoys traveling. He's spent a lot of time on the planes, but now he just tours the Realms. He writes books that are part auto-biography, part travelogue.

Unlike Volo, he writes about wilderness locales and small villages, as well as large cities. He also doesn't look to ferret out all the secrets of a person or place -- he just writes about what he experiences, as a traveler.

He is, in a way, an unreliable narrator -- the travelogue sections of his books are accurate enough, but anything he says about his own life is suspect. He refers to people and events no one else has heard of, he sometimes contradicts his own stories... When asked about the absence of his legs, he never tells the same story twice...

He even claims that his capacity for alcohol is due to time spent on the quasi-elemental plane of Ale, and casually brushes aside any responses about the non-existence of this plane.

I had a lot of fun thinking this guy up. I need to share him here, sometime... Ed liked him; that kind of thing is always a huge ego-boost.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  08:08:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard he caught a very nasty disease in a house of exceptionally well known repute (amongst men, not necessarily their wives). It was apparently a disease that "jumped species" as we would call it in our world. He sought out a priest of Lathander to cure him, only to arrive at a particularly bad time (when a vampire was accosting the priest as he was relieving himself in the outhouse). The vampire then drained Volo and turned him. Through some twists, Volo eventually freed himself from his maker, but he fears said vampire seeks him.... so he continues life as he always had, travelling and making notes about the places that he visits in the realms..... only now he tends to leave behind either bodies or individuals with bite marks from blood draining (he seems to favor women's thighs over necks). It should be noted that he has never turned another individual in his time as a vampire.

Or, I could just be making this all up.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000