Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How happy are you with the Sundering?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  00:30:42  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but that assumes elves WANTED to invent phasers and warp drives. I think they want to be left alone to renew the forests and enjoy living there.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  11:47:14  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

There isn't much about the post-Sundering era to have an opinion about.

The only thing I can say is that while I liked the individual Sundering novels, as a series, it really fell short on detailing the Sundering.

As for the changes we know about: I hate what was done to Myth Drannor and Shade, hate that Tymanther and Akanul are probably gone, like that several deities are being brought back and the rest I'm pretty neutral about.

Probably the thing that annoys me more about the Sundering though, is knowing that it was done mostly to try to appease people that can never really be appeased.

I dont think its in the spirit of WotC to produce lore related or for that matter, anywhere near the amount of products as for 3.x I think they would rather just make a new edition, than make The current deep.
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2015 :  18:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no idea what has happened with the sundering since it is several years ago i stopped buying FR novels since i realized it was extremely unlikely i would ever read any of those novels written post spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2015 :  21:34:00  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods aren't that important for the game, I'd rather have the Sundering going back in time, before or during the Spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  01:59:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marc

Gods aren't that important for the game, ...
It's generally agreed by many that this was one of the main failings of the Avatar Crisis in the Realmslore. That it resulted in the overemphasis of the deities in the day-to-day running of the setting -- which persisted for quite some time and across multiple editions.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  05:27:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like having the gods actively involved. But I agree there comes a point when it is too much.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  13:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too enjoyed seeing the gods at work and involved with mortals. I guess that kinda hampers gamers though. A happy medium must be possible surely?
Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  13:43:40  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like them involved if there's a chance that epic PC's could touch them, if it's true what Athar from Planescape believe. Untouchable cosmic forces should remain distant and mysterious.

Good part about the Avatar Crisis is that the gods were like every other mortal NPC.

Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  17:50:49  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone already said it best. Lots of hype and nothing really to show for it.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  18:34:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeiroth

Someone already said it best. Lots of hype and nothing really to show for it.
THIS

Thus far, it just seems like another RSE 'non-event'.

Hopefully we will get more info moving forward, but as of right now, I don't really see anything to be happy or unhappy about. "Its this thing that was in novels, but not really, because it was just alluded to in the background". Kind of ambiguous, especially if no one is bothering to read novels anymore. It appears to be nothing more then a hand-wave for writers to 'bring back' whatever they want. Not that that is a bad thing of itself, but without a story behind it, its jarring. And you can't count the series as that story, because it wasn't. In fact... it wasn't even a series, really.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  18:45:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize this is unrealistic, but for every major event in the Realms, I think they should release it in multiple media, that way everyone would have have access to it. Markustay is right in that the Sundering was really only alluded to in the novels. I know WotC was planning to release it in multiple platforms, which one containing the effects the Sundering had on a particular area, but has the Sundering even been mentioned in the latest campaign books? Then again, they haven't released an FR specific one, have they? And this Tyranny of the Dragon thing that is going on...how many platforms was that released in? Was it anadventure, a video game, an article in Dragon magazine? I haven't seen any novels about it. My point is, WotC should find a way to involve all FR fans by having the events available to all of us, gamers and readers alike. Not all of us have access to everything they release. Some people game more, and some prefer the novels.

Like I said, I realize this approach may be unrealistic.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  18:50:17  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have it on good authority that the plot of Tyranny of the Dragon, aka Tiamat's imprisonment, was done just to create the module. There was no story or lead up to it. Just "bang" she's imprisoned.

Since that is the case, I wouldn't be hoping for much.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000