Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spells that morph defenses/strengths
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  01:00:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I happened to be looking up something and ran across something in the realms archive that I wrote back in 1998. It made me think that this is a form of abjuration magic we haven't seen much. The below is written according to 2nd edition rules, but it could easily be updated to 3.0/3.5. I can envision something similar being used on a prismatic sphere, or spells meant to enhance certain factors on people having the gain become reversed (speed via haste being turned into a slow, str via enhancements becoming a str reduction, etc....). Given that these simply twist the existing spell, they could be relatively low level if they aren't given amazing versatility. For instance, a spell that simply reverses enhancement bonuses to ability scores, or a spell that simply reverses and/or negates movement gains (i.e. haste, flight, spider climbing, gaseous form, etc...), or a spell which turns the enhancement bonus of armor and/or weapons into a temporary enhancement penalty. Just throwing this general idea out there, can anyone else think of others?

Reversing the globe
2nd lvl wizard spell (abjuration, meta-magic)
Range: 10 yards/lvl
Components: V, S
Duration: 3 rounds / lvl
Casting Time: 3
Area of Effect: 1 globe of invulnerability
Saving Throw: Negates

While this spell sees very little use in the fields, it is a very popular one amongst lesser mages learning to duel against more powerful mage opponents. It is used to invert the abilities of a globe of invulnerability (or minor globe). Its greatest strength is its subtlety (opponent saves at -4 versus spells to stop it from effecting his globe), for it does not seek to negate the effects. Rather, it instead seeks to instead turn the dampening effects of the globe into a strengthening effect. Thus, all spells which would normally be blocked are instead enhanced (+1 damage per die and -2 on
opponents saves). For example, a fireball hurled at a person whose globe is affected by this spell would suffer an additional point of damage for each die rolled and would save at -2.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  09:49:56  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be mistaken but i think Ruby Ray of Reversal (2E, can't cite the source, i used it in the BG game series) turned abjuration magic into penalties ...or maybe just dispelled them ... ?

In 3E i think the spell Brittleskin from Magic of Faerun turns the natural armor into glass that shatters and deals damage each time the target gets hit.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  12:06:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

I may be mistaken but i think Ruby Ray of Reversal (2E, can't cite the source, i used it in the BG game series) turned abjuration magic into penalties ...or maybe just dispelled them ... ?

Pages 61-2 of Forgotten Realms Adventures. But you may be thinking of a different spell. The ruby ray does a lot of stuff, but isn't so much of an anti-abjuration thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  14:29:22  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Checked the BG wiki, the Ruby Ray of Reversal in the BG games dispels the highest abjuration spell on the target, but doesn't turn the spells into penalties or somesuch so it's not relevant to this thread, sorry.

EDIT: and it seems brittleskin is not the spell i remember ... need to avoid posting without checking the sources first ...

Edited by - Demzer on 06 Jan 2015 14:33:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000