Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ways of "Curing" undeath?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  14:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We met an eternally 12 year old vampire, the GM kind of threw the character in because he knew my character was a sucker for sympathising with "The bad guys".

It's really sad he never got to grow up, so I'm wondering if there's any way to to cure this? Transferring the soul to a new body? I imagine it's probably more complicated than that or else a lot of Liches wouldn't be Liches in the first place.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  14:52:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think true resurrection might restore him to life properly.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  15:07:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a spell in the 2e sourcebook Elves of Evermeet that restores the undead to life and makes them 10 years younger than they were before they became undead.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  15:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so he'd be 2 aha
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  16:22:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roseweave

It's really sad he never got to grow up, so I'm wondering if there's any way to to cure this? Transferring the soul to a new body? I imagine it's probably more complicated than that or else a lot of Liches wouldn't be Liches in the first place.

Actually... We don't have a process for jumping into a new body in the published Realms that I know of, but I am similarly unaware of anything that says it's not doable. We do know it has happened; Minder, from the long-ago Forgotten Realms comic, was the soul of a dwarf in the body of a iron golem. We have at least one Wyrm of the North experimenting with jumping bodies, and Ed has indicated that some of the surviving Netherese are not in their original bodies.

As for the prominence, in the Realms, of turning to undeath as a way to continue existence...

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As for this comment, from Wooly Rupert: “I've always thought the deliberate embrace of undeath was a bit of an odd option for cheating death. One idea I've always preferred was for a mage to transfer his consciousness into a specially-prepared automaton. The end result (no longer worrying about death, aging, and other physical frailities) is the same, plus the automaton body would be more durable, nicer to look at, and wouldn't be physically rotting away. I know if I wanted to last a few more centuries, I'd choose an option where my fingers falling off wouldn't be a concern...”
. . . Ed has a response, as follows:

I see nothing at all wrong with your reasoning, Wooly, and although Newt Ewell specifically asked me to add a brief “drow biomech” section to the original (2nd Ed) DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, the “official but secret” design directives of the time were to avoid all “android and robot” flavouring in AD&D® because TSR was planning a robot roleplaying game, PROTON FIRE. Longtime DRAGON® readers may recall that it was featured in the back pages of just one issue of the magazine, as a preview; the game was “killed” on the very brink of its release by TSR’s upper management. So, just like de-emphasizing psionics in the Realms because they were to be a cornerstone of Dark Sun®, we were told to avoid mechanical/robotic/android/bionic elements for the AD&D® game. THAT’S why the embrace of undeath rather than the “build your own new body.”
As for the alternative “clone or birth your own new body and then move into it” approach, THAT ran afoul of the internal Code of Ethics, TSR wanting to avoid further trouble with the religious Moral Majority stances of the day. For years - - as various Realms NPCs have aged - - I have flirted and toyed in my Realms fiction with exploring the ethical choices they make about how to prolong life (for those who wish to do so). I plan, editors willing, to do more of that in future fiction.

So saith Ed. Illuminating the design backrooms of the Realms and D&D® for us all.
love,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  16:43:00  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
so he'd be 2 aha

Yep but your PC could raise him afterwards. Of course, you'd have to deal with the possibility of some memories remaining from his former 'life' and all. The roleplaying possibilities are intriguing.

EDIT: To be honest, I'd rewrite the spell to make them 10% younger than they originally were. So your child vampire would regain 1.2 years of life instead while a baelnorn who was 700 years old would regain 70 years.

Obviously this regaining of 'youth' would be relative to the subject's biological age, so a human who should die at age 80 (and thus regain 8 years) doesn't count the fact that he extended his life by 200 more years prior to undeath. So if he was biologically 60 years old at the time of un-death he would regain 6 years.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 09 Dec 2014 16:48:23
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  17:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But done the way it is, it'd be kind of like Sailor Saturn/Hotaru from Sailor Moon, or Tamsin from Lost Girl, lol. So I might do that. Maybe age them more rapidly.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  18:32:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Potion of aging after returned to living. While normally considered a curse going from 12 to 22 should not be much of one. *S*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  18:38:24  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True Resurrection does work on some undead, but not all types. It is very dangerous, for example, to cast such a spell on a lich - though that is all we're told in that instance - the actual danger such magic subjects you to is left to one's imagination.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  16:28:54  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy water & a stake thru the heart works just fine...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly